“A Favorite Getaway” 4 of 5 stars
Review of General Lewis Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lewisburg
General Lewis Inn
You added General Lewis Inn to your Saves list
301 East Washington Street, Lewisburg, WV 24901   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Lewisburg B&B and Inns
Arlington, VA
“A Favorite Getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

We came across the General Lewis Inn by accident a few years ago. Since then we have gone back several times. It is one of our favorite getaway spots. We always enjoy the ambiance of both the Inn and the town of Lewisburg. The Inn has a lot of historical charm, and pleasant grounds. The staff is friendly and helpful, and the restaurant is a plus.

Room Tip: The pictures on the website give a good indication of the room configuration.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
arlington, texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

Before moving in to the Greenbrier which is just a few miles away, we spent 2 nights at General Lewis Inn. This is not a bed & breakfast, although there is a restaurant downstairs which serves a full menu 3 times a day. There is complimentary coffee set up downstairs in the morning until 0900, and on the mornings we were there, a basket held individually wrapped banana bread for the taking.
Our room on the second floor was called the Master, and from looking at most of the other rooms, I think it was the largest, with 2 comfortable double beds and a big sitting area. The bathroom was adequate with a toilet and tub/shower. Since the sink and mirror were in another area, it made getting dressed easier for the 2 of us women. This is an OLD inn with history abounding, so bathrooms are serviceable, but not luxurious. Unoccupied room doors are left open for you to explore, and though small, they all looked lovely (prettier than the website pictures). There is also a family suite that has 2 rooms and several beds.
Everyone we talked to at the front was very helpful & informative when asked, and they directed us 2 blocks down the hill to the main shopping street which has great antique shops, boutiques and restaurants. We never had a bad meal.
On the main floor there is an extensive collection of artifacts from "back in the day" that is worth a look. The back yard is lovely to stroll around. I hesitate to say the Inn isn't accessible, but we never saw or were offered an elevator, so be prepared to schlep your own bags up a lot of steps.

Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Pearisburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

I took two of my girlfriends to Lewisburg for their birthdays. Our room was very clean and comfortable. The family suite on 2nd floor only has one very, very small bathroom so that made showering and dressing somewhat difficult. The location is perfect for walking all around Lewisburg. The hotel staff was very pleasant. Breakfast was great but service was questionable, had to continue to remind our waiter about requests. I personally think the price is high, but wanted my friends to enjoy the beauty of Lewisburg without the hassle of driving once we checked into our rooms.

I would suggest that The GLI become a true B&B with a complimetary breakfast for each guest. I truly believe you would see your averages improve to excellents!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Hanover, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011 via mobile

We enjoyed a one night stay here while riding the Greenbrier River bike trail. The B&B is located downtown in the historic district of Lewisburg within walking distance of shops, bars and eateries.

The General Lewis Inn is a beautifully maintained facility. The rooms, all of which are uniquely furnished, are very clean and well appointed. The Inn itself is a step back in time with an interesting collection of antiques on display. The grounds are lovely and the dining room serves a nice variety of tasty entrees.

If you enjoy quaint country inns, your sure to love this place.

• Stayed October 2011
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

Im in my mid-40's, so I have a lot of experience and happy times here at the Inn. My father went to HS in town and so I feel like this was my home away from home. First let me say, a visit in October is like no other. The fall is simply amazing in this part of the country. A lot of the same people I remember are still there. Elizabeth is a wonderful hostess, and you will meet her in the dining area, welcoming guests and telling about the history of the place. The best part is the history. A lot to see and take in. Its right in town so its an easy walk.
The down side: so, if you are used to the St Regis, 4 Seasons and Westin- its not that kind of hotel. Its an Inn. A historic inn. I love the history of it, but I think its in desperate need of upgrading. The bathroom we had was tiny! The bathroom in the hall was more spacious. The tubs are very old. Not like, nice vintage old, just outdated old. The bed, was ok. Room was warm. The living room in the lobby is still a great place for a game or glass of wine. Upon check in (Friday), I was told that we only booked Saturday night! Yikes. Ok, so that was my mistake. However, being in the customer service industry myself, I would have expected the front desk to at least offer to call or suggest a few neighboring places. All I got was a- "see, I pulled your online reservation and it says ONE night". Okay thanks but that doesnt help me now does it? Anyways, we did find another place for the one night, so no problem. The gal that checked us in the next day was fabulous- btw. Just super nice and friendly.

Dinner at the Inn is decent. The service and staff is really good. They are just nice kind hearted people. Very enjoyable and pleasant. Breakfast was delicious. Good country breakfast that leaves you full!

I would definitely recommend this place for couple or family visit. The backyard is beautiful and you really cant beat the location. Just dont expect the fancy soaps, linens and updated conveniences.

Room Tip: I would recommend a room on the second floor. Its so easy to hear the footsteps above you from the...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Poca, West Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

Charming,historic,and romantic. This Inn can certainly return you to an era when times were simpler and life moved at a slower pace. My husband and I enjoyed our stay. Room was a little small, but very cozy. Staff is pleasant and helpful, and breakfast was good. Lewisburg itself is a great historic little town that is well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Try to reserve a queen or garden room, as they are larger.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

This place is wonderful. The staff is very helpful, the restaurant is excellent, and the rooms are always clean and comfortable.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to General Lewis Inn? Share your experiences!