“Beautiful Modern Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 7 hotels in Lewisburg
Madison, West Virginia
“Beautiful Modern Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

The Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites near Lewisburg is a cut above the rest. It gives the impression of elegance. I've stayed in many hotels and this is probably one of the best road side hotels I have ever experienced. The lobby is very professionally decorated and maintained with a stone fireplace which gives a warm inviting feeling. The staff was friendly and helpful. There's also a sitting area outside as well.

The room was perfect with a sitting room attached to a bedroom. The furniture is modern and looks almost new. The color selection for the rooms, halls, & lobby area is very pleasing to the eye. There was free wifi and an inside pool. Unfortunately, we didn't have time to experience the pool or the exercise room.

In the middle of the suite is a small kitchenette with refrigerator, microwave and sink. The kitchenette and bathroom have granite counter tops, a feature most hotels do not have. The entire building was extremely clean. There's a large breakfast area off the lobby with plenty of offerings, hot and cold.

I would highly recommend this hotel, but be prepared to pay more than the average.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Suzanne H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lewisburg, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Thank you for the wonderful comments regarding our Holiday Inn Express & Suites located in Lewisburg, West Virginia. I am so happy to hear that you feel that our hotel “is probably one of the best road side hotels I have ever experienced.” We take pride in our hotel and I can see we met your needs from a clean comfortable room to friendly staff.

I would also like to thank you for the pictures you provided so other potential guests can see what our suites look like. Maybe the next time you are through the Lewisburg, West Virginia area you will be able to use our pool and fitness center.

Thanks again for the wonder recommendation for future travelers coming to the Lewisburg, West Virginia area that would consider the Holiday Inn Express & Suites for their lodging needs.

125 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Beacon, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I have nothing bad to say about this place. Friendly front desk, free cookies!, Nice pool and hot tub open till 11, and we had it all to ourselves when we went The included breakfast was above average. We had to take a handicaps accessible roo because that was the only pet friendly room available. It was fine though the shower was a little low. The downtown area of Lewisburgh is very quaint with lots of cute shops, restaurants, and even an Irish pub with many, many beers available

Room Tip: There is no restaurant on site but a number of very nice places in the town. We at at Bela Casa and...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Suzanne H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lewisburg, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding our hotel and staff at the Lewisburg, West Virginia Holiday Inn Express. I hope you enjoyed the cookies!!

Yes we are a pet friendly hotel and we were able to provided lodging for you and your pet. We have very few pet rooms available and you actually rented our last room that we had available the night you stayed with us.

I am so happy that you were able to spend time downtown Lewisburg, it truely is a historical downtown that you should visit while in Lewiburg.

I hope to see you again if your lodging needs takes you back through the Lewisburg, West Virginia area.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

Dirty [--] room. Hair and crumbs everywhere. Looks like someone ate a bucket of fried chicken in room. House keeping is gone. All the more reason I will always stay in Hampton Inns. Should have known better. Everyone else in town is booked.
Lady front desk did her best to get us comfortable, but the towels used to dust the room after our complaints were sitting on top of the toilet bowl brush! All I can say is that the breakfast better be damn good!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Suzanne H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lewisburg, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding our Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Lewisburg, West Virginia. We strive to provide each of our guests with a comfortable room and a pleasant stay. I am sorry that goal was not achieved during your stay at our hotel.

I have shared your comments with the issues that you found in your room with our housekeeping department so this would not happen again. I am glad to hear that our front desk clerk tried her best to make you feel comfortable as possible.

I do hope the breakfast the next morning met your expectations.

I realize that you may not be satisfied with my response to your complaint. So please remember that all Holiday Inn Express Hotels are independently owned and operated. Your dissatisfaction with our hotel should not cause you to stop staying at other Holiday Inn Express Hotels. Those hardworking owners and operators deserve the opportunity to provide you with accommodations.
Lewisburg, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Regretfully, I must report a bad experience with the general manager. I was speaking to the gm via telephone and inquired about changing the reservation into my friends name(who is a government employee) would we be able to get the employee rate. She told me only unless our stay at the hotel was due to orders from the government. Of course we were not, we were in the area for the state fair. For those of you who aren't familiar with the government rate, it used to be $70 for express's but raised to $77 not too long ago and as long as you have a government i.d.(which they don't ask for it half the time) you can have the government rate. The gm was already aggravated with us due to an issue with our reservations, which is how I ended up on the phone with her in the first place, and her telling me we needed standing orders for the government rate was simply her not wanting to give it to us. Anyways, I did have the last laugh. The hotel was completely booked other than what rooms they were saving for overbooking(Just assuming she did this as all gm's should). I cancelled my reservations online and then my friend immediately made reservations for the rooms online at standard rate, due to the government rate not being available due to the rate being sold out or it being completely locked out for the state fair. When we went to check in, my friend whipped out their government id, asked for the government rate, and the friendly front desk clerk locked in the rate code. We did have backup reservations at the nearby Hampton, just in case we did not get the government rate. I would much rather overpay the Hampton than overpay a dishonest gm's property. There are times when a gm does have to let a dissatisfied guest stay dissatisfied for the good of the property, but this was a case of the gm being mad at us and letting her emotions take over rather than just letting us have the rate in the first place. The property is fairly new, decently kept, and clean. Other than the gm, the staff is very friendly and I'm sure one could stay at this property and have no issue, but I would advise staying at the nearby Hampton where you may not have to deal with issue like this one.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Suzanne H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lewisburg, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
After reviewing your comments regarding our Holiday Inn Express in Lewisburg, West Virginia I am having a hard time understanding your concerns. First of all I wish you would have brought this to my attention earlier. Your comments regarding your reservation for the hotel were from August 2011 during the West Virginia State Fair and it’s now a year later. So I do not know how to respond to your concern.

Secondly regarding the government rate is not decided by each Holiday Inn Express. The Federal Government yearly evaluates the per diem it will allow and in 2010 the rate was $70. In 2011 the Federal Government Per Diem rate increased to $77. The Federal Government controls the lodging per diem for Federal Government workers. You are correct to receive Federal Government rate you must provide a Government Issued ID and it must be for active government work, that rate is not available for leisure travel. I was correct in that statement to you that you must be on active orders to receive the Government rate.

I am not sure what you mean by your comments about overbooking “Just assuming she did this as all gm’s should.” We do not engage in overbooking rooms if possible, sometimes it happens with a mix up of a reservation.

I am glad to hear that you did have a back-up reservation plan at the Hampton Inn at a much higher rate if you were not able to get the government rate at our hotel.

ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

My sife and I have stayed at various hotels over the years as we have traveled from our home base in Ohio to visit relatives in Virginia or vacation at the OBX. Our most recent stop was at this HI Express, which more than met our needs for a clean, easy to reach from the interstate, reasonably priced hotel. In room fridge and coffee, and your basic heat it up yourself breakfast provided. Nothing fancy, but the price was just fine and the room and hotel very clean. Hotel also provides a work out room, hot tub, and indoor pool which, though we did not use them, appeared well kept and clean. Will definitely move this to top of the list for overnight stops on the long trips!

Room Tip: 1st floor is near the workout room and pool, fyi.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Suzanne H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lewisburg, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
I would like to thank you for your most recent visit and comments regarding our Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Lewisburg, West Virginia. We strive hard to make all our guests stay as pleasant and relaxing as possible and I can see we have accomplished this with you.

Lewisburg is a great overnight stop. With all the history in the area and excellent restaurant choices can may any ones vacation better!

I am so happy to hear that you have made our Holiday Inn Express in Lewisburg, West Virginia as one of your top hotels to stay at on long trips. I hope to see you soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

Clean, air conditioned room. Nice warm welcome from reception when I checked in. Lobby is attractive and clean. Convenient to local restaurants.

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Suzanne H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lewisburg, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding our Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Lewisburg, West Virginia. We strive hard to provided a clean and comfortable stay for all our guests.

You are very correct that we are close to some excellent restaurant choices.

I hope to see you the next time that your travels bring you through the Lewisburg, West Virignia area.
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

This was truly a cut above others in this chain that we have stayed in. Good location, nicer furniture, better breakfast......BUT...I did not consider it truly "pet friendly." If you don't travel with your pet, I very much recommend it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lewisburg, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know that you thought our hotel was a "cut above others" Those words go along ways. We try very hard to make sure every guest is comfortable and has a great stay.

Regarding "Pet Friendly" every hotel has their own policies regarding pets. Pet friendly basically says that we allow pets. Our hotel website clearly explains our pet policy. We only have so many rooms that we allow pets to stay in. There are hundreds of guests that stay in hotels that have allegic reactions to pets, so that is why we only allow pets in certain rooms. After each stay that a customers brings in a pet we take extra cleaning steps to deep clean those rooms. I know at times the word "Pet Friendly" can be misused but we do our best with the wording our our website and explaining our pet policy upon check-in. There are many hotels that do not allow pets at all and I am glad that we do allow pets in our pet friendly rooms.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lewisburg? Share your experiences!