“Romantic and cozy cabin nestled in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia mountains!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Opossum Creek Retreat Cabin Rentals

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lansing
Opossum Creek Retreat Cabin Rentals
Opossum Creek Road, Lansing, WV   |
Saint Albans, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I were able to escape our parenting duties for two nights to this lovely cabin (cabin 4). The cabin was tucked into the woods and was nice and private. We were there on the weekend before Christmas and were blessed with a nice snowstorm to really make it the perfect setting for a cabin stay (in my opinion). The gas fireplace was perfect for cozying up to after hot tubbing. The large hot tub was on the screened and covered deck that overlooked a little valley with a babbling brook. The cabin was not huge, but was great for romance! There was a king or queen size bed as well as a set of bunk beds if you have to bring the kids. There was also a nice little counter with a sink and stove and a little fridge. The bathroom was small, but had a cool door and a really cool sink with a waterfall basin that looked to be custom made.

On Saturday my wife and I ventured out for a walk in the sunshine and snow. We started out the driveway and passed a fee of the other cabins that are there and came to the interpretive trail that tracks through the woods and along the babbling brook. it was a nice clear trail to walk along and enjoy the beautiful country that is West Virginia!

In the evenings we ventured through the snow to Fayetteville. On Friday we dined at Gumbos. The food was great Cajun! I had some fried craw dads and a bowl of something I'll call seafood stew. It was awesome! The food really warmed my wife and I up and the setting was quaint and romantic too! The second night we dined at Pies and Pints. They have large selection of pizzas and other foods. I cannot recall which pizza we got but they were very tasty! It has a bar as well as plenty of dining area. It was not as intimate as Gumbos, but it was a place we would definitely go to again. On Sunday morning as we left the cabin, we went to the Cathedral Cafe in Fayetteville. It is an old church renovated into a restaurant. We had waffles and pancakes and it was really good. The restaurant had an open, yet comfortable feel to it, with wood floors, books and nicknacks available for purchase. Not your everyday diner for sure!

This cabin was a great experience and I would recommend it to anybody looking to get away from it all! Though we had a low key stay there, it was set in the heart of white water country. For the thrill seeker/outdoor enthusiast, there is plenty of outdoor adventures close by. The New River gorge is right there, as well as Fayetteville and it's small town charm.

Go there! You won't regret it!

• Stayed December 2012

21 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Ansted
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I've always believed that a mother deserves the party on her child's birthday. This year I got exactly what I wanted. Per my daughters request, I booked one of Opossum Creek's small cabins to have her overnight party. It was the perfect size for myself and five girls. I didn't have to clean my house and this simple and quaint cabin was warm and well equipped for all of our needs.
The girls giggled on the porch hot tubbing and I sipped on a glass of red wine while making gourmet pizzas in the kitchen. (The stainless steel cookware was a much appreciated bonus). After dinner we sat on the floor in front of the gas fireplace and played charades. In that peaceful place in the woods I laughed with the pre-teens without worrying about annoying anyone but the squirrels nesting in the surrounding trees. I called it quits to go read in my bedroom, they pulled out the sleeper sofa and a mattress from their bedroom so they could pile up in the living room. Then they proceeded to do what girls do best...giggle, tumble on the mattress, and text. We weren't far from civilization but you could never tell in that little nook of the woods; (although we did like the wifi).
This place was magical. Exactly what we needed to enjoy each other and leave the stress of daily chores behind. I really loved the custom-made wood shelves and tables. They added to the woodsy but very clean feel and made very efficient use of every space.
In the morning, after pancakes and more hot-tubbing, I read a couple of entries from the guest book; stories of proposals, anniversary dates, and a lot of adventures in the New River Gorge. I set the book down and the girls said, "No, read more." Then we added our own entry and headed home, another day/year older, and very satisfied.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Geoff H, Owner at Opossum Creek Retreat Cabin Rentals, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Sounds like the you had the perfect girls club. Hope you make a family tradition of staying with us on your Birthdays.
Deerfield, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We had three families, and we had it packed. We came down for Rivermen, and this place is just 5 minutes away. The older kids went with dads, the moms took the little kids, 11 and under, to Summersville Lake. They had a great time. We have a grill, a place for a Bon fire and cooking S'mores. Our picky wife likes the decor, lots of towels, and a dryer. This is truly and old farmhouse, and is not a 3 star hotel. Picky wife said no yuck factor, and we have taken her to many other places in Kentucky on other adventures.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
warren
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

Finally got around to putting in a review, five months later. Exceptionally clean and comfortable. Have everything you need, hot tub, kitchen, bathroom, complementary washer and dryer close by, plenty of space, fireplace, television, etc. Great, inviting atmosphere, well designed. The staff was very polite and respectful and helped us out when we needed it. This is a great place, right in the middle of so much to do and see. We went down in February and we got to see one of the last snowstorms, everything looked so beautiful. We stayed in Cabin 2, it has everything, you can relax in the hot tub and enjoy the nature or stay inside in front of the fire. Definitely a great getaway from everything. We're so busy at home, so this trip was much needed. We couldn't have asked for more. Planning to come back soon and recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

Very private cabin with a great location - close to New River Gorge National River and the lovely little town of Fayetteville, WV. Lots of great restaurants there!

Our cabin, El Gordo, was completely surrounded by woods - beautiful! Loved the screened porch and hot tub. Cookies waiting for us when we arrived!

The cabin has 3 separate bedrooms on 2 levels. Instead of dressers, ledges are provided for suitcases. Our family of 5 had adequate room during our stay. A laundry facility is available on site (not at the cabin) but we didn't use it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Charleston, West Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

Amazingly peaceful & beautiful place.. but we got blamed for breaking a hinge on the screen door, and breaking a railing that was already broken when we got there. So that equals an automatic charge that was the same as our 2 day stay. So we got charged twice. We broke nothing! Do not trust these people! It's a shame.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Geoff H, Owner at Opossum Creek Retreat Cabin Rentals, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
We are glad Frank R liked everything about the cabins. We are disappointed he did not contest the damages with us but choose to post his displeasure here. We do not have groups damage the cabins very often many times it is an accident and if our guests tell us about it we have often let it slide. In this case it was very clear what had happened and it was do to miss use. This group did not contest the charges with us or his credit card company. It is worth noting that the only low marks are from a group that was charged for damaging our cabins.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

We had a very relaxing few days between Christmas and New Years here. Every cabin has it's own hot tub. Ours was on a screened porch facing nothing but forest. It snowed lightly the first night and it was so fantastic to be in the hot tub with the snow falling drifting down outside. The warm inside of the cabin had everything we needed for cooking and relaxing. The cabin had a TV and (patchy) WiFi, but we never turned on the TV, and we didn't really need the WiFi (I mean, we wanted a cabin, not a city business hotel).

The area is great too, everyone we met was friendly. These cabins are a five minute drive from the New River Gorge and Bridge; a beautiful gorge with a lot of history. We hiked around and toured in the day, and Fayetteville is a funky little town and has some nice little eateries if you don't feel like cooking. Wow, I sound like an advertisement, but it really was a great getaway.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Opossum Creek Retreat Cabin Rentals? Share your experiences!