“I was frightened” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Kingwood B&B and Inns
Cinnaminson, New Jersey
“I was frightened”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

At 7:30 PM on June 6 , 2010, I arrived at the Preston County Inn in Kingwood, West Virginia because I had been scheduled by my employer to work at an event the next day at a location nearby . There were no adults present...only small children whom I presumed were the children of the owners of the Inn. I had been left a note with a key that described where my room was and the room number (23). I found that the room was in poor condition; the comforter and sheets were old, torn, worn and dirty. I found the face towel to have several stains as if it had been used to remove makeup by the last guest. I happened to catch one of the children in the hallway and asked for an iron. She found an iron, but no ironing board was available and still I found no adults present.

I called the number that had been left by the proprietor to call him if I should need anything and left 2 messages expressing the problems with the room and what I needed (they live on the third floor). I never got a return call on my cell number which they had, and which I had to use since there was no phone in the room. I awoke in the morning around 4am in order to be at my job location on time and left notes for the owners which expressed my dissatisfaction with the condition of the room. I mentioned in the note that I would tell my employers not to use the Inn to book travel accommodations for other employees, that I would inform Expedia(from where the room was booked) and post negative comments on Tripadvisor.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Innkeeper43, Owner at Preston County Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, September 24, 2010
My husband and I own the Inn and we have three children who live on site. This woman was so abusive towards them that I wanted to ask her to leave but it was 9 p.m. and my husband asked me to let her stay. In the morning we found post it notes all over the Inn that were inappropriate to say the the least. My husband contacted her at her place of work and she went ballistic. She was verbally abusive even though we tried to make it right. Be careful of this customer.

The Inn is actually not open on Sunday and Monday nights and we do not man the front desk 24/7. Check in is at 4 p.m and she did not arrive until many hours later. Generally we leave our guests a key at the front desk.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

We stayed there 1 night (thank God). My sister-in-law made the reservation or we would have left or slept in the car. It was DIRTY!! The sheets had a Blood stain from a woman's period on the sheets. The chairs/couch on the "veranda" all had large holes in the cushions. My husband & I started itching from the time we sat down, but never saw any fleas or bugs. It may have been mites?? A/C was a portable unit?? The restaurant was never open. The continental breakfast was re-warmed coffee from the previous day and a few boxes of cereal. We went out needless to say. The place probably was beautiful at one time, but now ----YUCK!!!!!. Sorry to leave such a negative response.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
This customer came downstairs on Sunday demanding a full breakfast. I told her that we have a breakfast buffet upstairs that includes waffles, cereal, muffins, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, etc. I told her that we would be serving breakfast out of our restaurant in two hours but she did not want to wait so I sent her down to a local restaurant to have her breakfast. She came back about an hour later and said that she was not going to stay another night. She complained that the rooms are on the second floor and we do not have an elevator. She complained that my daughter, who was eating her breakfast, had had her hands all over the cinamon rolls. I explained that we are not open yet and my daughter has the right to have breakfast and she got her roll from the kitchen so she was not anywhere near the buffet. The customer said that she did not like the fact that our daughter works at the Inn. Everyone in our family works. The children are learning work ethics and they are saving their money.

This customer never reported a dirty room or bloody sheets. In fact, we had put brand new sheets and linens on her bed the night before and there were no stains the next day. I know because I do the laundry and I inspect everything that goes up to the maid's closet. This women was unhappy with the fact that there was no full service breakfast for free. We cancelled her second night even though our policy was to charge her for another day because she did not give 48 hour notice. We tried our best to make her happy but apparently it did not work.
Cleveland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

My family rented 3 rooms. When it came to check in time there was a note on the front door telling us our keys were in the mail box. We continued to follow the direction on the envelope. when we finally find the correct side door to ender there were no lights we could turn on as we walked up to the second floor. Checked room #1, clean, Check room #2, spotless, when we checked our room... trashed, looked like someone just rolled out of bed, wet towels hanging everywhere garbage overfilling the garbage can, etc. So we leave to attend what we came to WV for, while calling the owner atleast 10 times, going straight to voicemail each time. When we returned at midnight, we couldn't see where we were going because there was no lights in the hall ways, and still our room wasn't cleaned. We ended up stripping the bed and throwing everything in the hall way and purchasing our own blankets and pillows at a near by Walmart. Needless to say, the owner still was no where to be found and in the morning we didn't even attempt the breakfest since it looked like it was sitting out for days so we though maybe go to the resturant in the first floor... lights off and no one to be found. So we packed our things and left on a bad note, ALSO the phones in the room do not work and the smoke detector was in a dresser with the battery missing. the only sign of life in that bed and breakfrest was a random small dog or cat wondering around.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
This one is our mistake. Somehow our housekeeper missed this guest's room. We did not find out until the next morning because our Inn is technically closed on Sundays. We did not charge the guest and we told them that we were very sorry as it was our fault.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

We stayed here several years ago while visiting family - different owners, a bit better. At that time there was a suite with a king (or queen?) bed and a nice sitting area with TV. It had an awkward "two-bathroom" situation, but it was a very comfortable room for about $100.
The new owners removed the sofa and added another bed to the suite, so we chose to not reserve it, as there are only two of us. Sadly, the "double" room (about $80) was soooo small. The bed was so small, the space around the bed was so small. We had a tiny closet and a desk/dresser with dirty drawers and no other space for luggage but under the sink. There was one small bar of soap - so old it broke into tiny pieces when unwrapped. The breakfast is sad. It's a do-it-yourself deal with a dirty microwave, spoiled milk in the tiny fridge, pretty much inedible.
But, there is nothing else in town but a motel our family says is even worse...

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Our rooms are small as the Inn was built in 1857. This customer did not want to rent the bigger room even though we offered them the bigger room at the same price. The room was not dirty. I am the housekeeper and there was no dust or crumbs in the drawer. As for the soap I have no answer. We buy the soap from the Hotel Registry on a regular basis. I have never had any complaints about the soap before.

The breakfast bar has cereal, waffles, pastries, coffee, milk, tea, hot chocolate, etc. The muffins are baked fresh from our own kitchen. We do not use preservatives so they harden pretty quickly. We have since switched to store bought pastries. There is indeed one pot of coffee which we try to keep full in the mornings. There is no breakfast attendant and the bar is sometimes a mess when many people go through. We try our best to keep things fresh and clean.

As far as the milk it was not spoiled. It was about a day after the sell by date.

We try our best to please all of our customers and we act quickly to remedy each situation; however, we sometimes don't find out that a customer had a problem or an issue until they post a review on our website. If you tell us we will fix it.
TN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2009

Terrible. The rooms were not clean, items (cups, toys etc) under the beds. Carpet dirty. Beds very uncomfortable. No TV service, if you got internet service it was too poor to use. Breakfast was a joke. The milk and yogurt was days out of date, cereal was stale and the muffins were too dry and hard to eat. There was one regular size pot of coffee for everyone to share. Food and old bread crumbs were on the counters when we got there and still there when we left. No coffee, so went down stairs to look for cofee in the dining room. There was open serving containers on the salad bar of grated cheese and croutons, and more bread crumbs on the serving counters from the previous night. Some of the rocking chairs on the porch were broken, you had to be careful that you didn't accidently sit in one of them. I never saw the owners. IF there is a health inspector, they need to make a surprise visit!

• Stayed May 2009
These customers had to stay at our Inn because of the prices of the rooms in Morgantown during football games. They were unhappy to start. They did not want to stay but they had paid for the room online and were going to be charged for the room. We have no control over that if they book on line. The room was not dirty. I checked under the bed and found a tiny plastic piece of a toy which was about a half an inch big which must have been missed by the housekeeping staff. The carpet was not dirty-just dated.

We do not have a breakfast attendant. Ours is a mom and pop operation but we sweep through to check on the breakfast bar as we are able. We pride ourselves on keeping it clean but on this particular occasion we had a lot of people going through in the morning. We used to bake our muffins from scratch every morning but the would get hard as the morning wore on because there were no preservatives so we have switched to store bought pastries.

The milk and the yogurt were not expired they were still fresh by the "buy dates." We regularly go through and dispose of any out of date items. We strive to provide the best food items possible.

As far as the croutons, cheese etc. Our restaurant staff forgot to put them away which is very unusual but everyone makes mistakes. Our restaurant was not even open when the guests came down for coffee so once the items were discovered they were disposed of.

Our restaurant and rooms meet all standards of the health department. The rooms are old as the building was built in 1857 and we have done a lot of improvements to them. We do our best to please our customers and we gladly fix any problems that our customers may have if we know about them. Sometimes we don't until we read the review that is posted on our website. If we do not know there is a problem we cannot fix it.
North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2008

Stayed here to attend local wedding, owners very friendy, the food was GREAT in the restaurant, rooms are dated, but the new owners have already intstalled flat screen tv's, and wifi works great.

• Liked — Bar area
  • Disliked — bathroom
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Arlington, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2008

The Inn is a stately home in Kingwood, and is a nice base of operations for touring the local area. It has been serving as a restaurant and inn for many years but was just purchased by the new owners in April 2008. A number of improvements to the property have been made, with flat screen TVs and individual AC/Heat units in the rooms. The Inn's common rooms are attractive, there is a restaurant that is open to the public, and a very cozy bar area. The sleeping rooms are basic, with very small bathrooms, but have character, with quilts and lace curtains. We did not have dinner, but enjoyed a nicely done Sunday brunch with good local fare. The Inn's best feature is a lovely wide front porch, with rocking chairs and a swing, a nice place to have a drink and watch the world go by. They also have a patio for outdoor dining and a screened porch for breakfast on the second floor. There was a mix-up with our reservation- we got the wrong room the first night, but were offered complementary brunch to make amends. We talked to the owners and they had plans to make further improvements to the property, so I think some early bumps will be worked out. If you like a more unique lodging experience in a historic home rather that a cookie-cutter chain hotel, this is the place.

• Liked — Historic Inn
  • Disliked — Small bathrooms
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Preston County Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!