“Hidden gem” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Hurricane
Indiana
“Hidden gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

Driving on 64 towards 35, we were hoping to make it to Gallipolis, OH for the night. The Hampton Inn there was full so I was looking further into OH with no luck. We were so glad to get a recommendation to stay in Teays Valley. It was sooner than we had planned to stop, but we felt refreshed after a swim in the outdoor pool, carry out dinner from the Wood Fire Grill next door, and a comfortable nights rest.
This is not the most up to date model of Hampton Inn, but it was clean, comfortable, and pleasant.

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Atlantic City, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012 via mobile

We found this hotel to be clean and the location was perfect. I especially loved the note in our room indicating the duvet was freshly laundered. The staff were very friendly and welcoming. We would recommend this place to our friends and would stay here again if we were in the area. The hotel was very quiet even though it appeared to be full.

• Stayed July 2012
Bloomington, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

I've found that Hampton Inns are pretty consistent with respect to quality/comfort of the rooms and hotel in general, and this hotel was no exception. The room was well equipped with a flat screen tv, microwave and mini-fridge. The furnishings, linens, and mattress, were good quality. The free breakfast was also above average for a non luxury hotel, with a respectable selection of hot and cold items.

The hotel was full due to an extensive power outage caused by a storm system in the area a few days earlier. However, the hotel was still quiet, and the breakfast area was not overcrowded.

We would return.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Lorain, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

We stayed at the Hampton June 1st. and checked out June 2nd. While we were at breakfast for 45 minutes our Kindle Fire was stolen from our room behind a locked door! We reported it to the front desk and that was as far as it went! After traveling home for 5 hrs we found out our camera had been stolen too! I called and reported that also and that was as far as that went too! I have talked to Eric Wilson the GM one time and he said he would take care of us but that was the end of that too! I have e-mailed him many times and no response from anyone! I called him and left a message but no response to that either! There was a security problem and they don't want to check it out. It's very upsetting to us and it ruined our weekend with our grandson that had just graduated from high school! Betty from Ohio

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Lynchburg, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

As a traveler who spends over 100 nights a year at Hilton properties, I have had my share of travel nightmares. Recently, I was caught in the storm that swept through the midwest at this hotel. My rating is not based on the weather, but the staff response to the crisis. The morning after the storm (the whole night without power) 4-5 employees were sitting in breakfast area and I asked what they were doing to help the guests. The response was - "we can't do anything until the power comes back on." To that I went out on my own and found coffee and food two miles from the hotel. Also, the emergency lights in the stairs had lost battery power and we were left on our own to haul luggage down the stairs in the dark. I get to the bottom of the steps and they are still just sitting around. When I was asked to tell Hilton about my stay, I explained my disappointment and asked that someone call me so I could explain. I received an email from the GM, Eric Wilson, who equated my disappointment to the lack of power. After speaking to Eric, he was admittedly condescending and sarcastic about my suggested ways to improve service in a crisis. He can not control the weather but he is responsible for his team's reaction. I am very disappointed that he did not take my requests seriously (nor listen to them all) and wanted to debate my experience.

I am always impressed with teams that rise above their circumstances to continue to deliver exceptional service. Unfortunately, I did not see it from this Hampton Inn nor do I expect to see it in the future based on the GM's response to a Hilton Diamond member's suggestion for improved service. Either way, I will not be staying here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Canaan Valley, WV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

This hotel is very well maintained. The staff was efficient and friendly; the room was immaculate, especially the bathroom. Having a small refrigerator in the room was a plus. The beds and pillows were comfortable. We will stay here again when we have the opportunity to be in the area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Arrived at this hotel at 1.30 am and left at 9.00 am, but it really is very convenient for the traveller on I-64, close to the interstate but quiet and very comfortable. Check in is always speedy and welcoming with no fuss. The room and beds were comfortable and clean and the bathroom spotless with an excellent shower. The free breakfast is above average with a good selection of cereals, yoghurts, waffles and hot food in a pleasant breakfast room. The staff are attentive and friendly. After the overnight stay you can be sure to leave refreshed and ready to drive another 10 hours.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hampton Inn Winfield/Teays Valley? Share your experiences!