“Clearly, not all Holiday Inn Express hotels are equal.” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Hurricane
Virginia
“Clearly, not all Holiday Inn Express hotels are equal.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

We have always had great experiences with Holiday inn Express hotels. Not with this one! I would honestly say that we would not have known we were in a Holiday Inn Express from the condition of this property. I thought there were quality checked on properties so they could maintin their franchises. Clearly, this one has been overlooked for a long , long time.

We were so tired when we arrived that we ate dinner and went right to sleep. The beds were comfortable (or maybe we were so tired that we didn't notice) and they appeared clean. However, in the morning, things were clearer. It was evident that the carpet needed some MAJOR cleaning. It was soiled and stained. The upholstered furniture also needed some MAJOR cleaning. There were unslightly stains everywhere. I didn't walk in the room without my shoes on if that is any indication. It was so disappointing.

To 'add insult to injury', this was the HIGHEST PRICE hotel we stayed in during our entire week long trip to visit family in Chicago. It was the least clean hotel and the highest priced. Go figure!

The following morning, we awoke early, packed, and left. If in Hurricane, WV, you might be wise to choose another property.

On a positive note, the bathroom was clean.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hurricane, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
Dear BURGESS-IN-VA,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay with us. I am deeply sorry we fell below your expectations. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Katie J
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Weirton, West Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

Not pleased with my most recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express. The room was fine and housekeeping staff very nice. BUT, when I got in the shower in the morning, it started out lukewarm and quickly turned to ice cold. I called the front desk and they said they would look into it. I never heard back from them until at checkout I was told they would make an adjustment to my bill. They did not do so, and I have called again about the problem, but never heard back from a manager nor have I gotten a price adjustment. Very dissapointing from a chain that claims to care about its customers.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hurricane, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
cathynogay,

Ben J
IHG Care

Travelers are raving about these Hurricane hotels

West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

First off, we stayed here on our honeymoon night on the way to the beach in 2005. Loved it. Had a chance to stay here again 2 weeks ago so we chose it fondly recalling our honeymoon.
We arrived at 11pm and were super tired with two small children.
The first room we went into we checked for bedbugs and found the telltale black spots of bedbugs between the matress and boxspring. The mattresses were encased in a full wrap protector which was also not a good sign. Found a few dead small bedbugs that were tangled up in fuzz from the beskirt. Went to front desk and asked for another room. We were quickly placed into another room and I quickly went to work checking the beds for bedbugs. While I didn't find any, I did find that the sheets of BOTH beds were FULL of loose pubic hairs! Ughhh. I preferred the bed bugs!

We quickly returned to the front desk and told the attendant we would not be staying. He promptly reversed the charges and we were on our way.

So as a positive I do give high marks to the attendant because he reacted quickly to our concerns. He can't help it the hotel itself is scummy,

I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone. It is nasty and well overpriced for what it is. Drive 15 minutes down the road to Barboursville and stay at the Holiday Inn there like we did. It was super clean, much nicer and significantly CHEAPER!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
medicwizz
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

Transfered from Red Roof Inn to this hotel for the same Business trip I mentioned on the other review.This hotel was wonderful excluding the fact that they had very few smoking rooms available.This was a huge inconvienience being that we had to go outside every time we wanted a smoke, that being said they had one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in.Two pillows, I believe feather down,one firm and one soft. Could have stood some more blankets, but I didnt ask. The room decor is nice but not fancy. The staff was very nice and I would stay there again. They also served a pretty nice breakfast selection free for guest.

Room Tip: All smoking rooms are located on the left side of the first floor , approx 10 to 15 rooms.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Clarksville, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

This location really leaves alot to be desired. Location terrible area. People hanging around parking lot all night. Pool open untill early morning hours. It's the type of place you realize that all Holidday Inn Expresses are not equal.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
West Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

Stayed here with my family on the way home to Chicago and found the accommodations to be good. Best part of our two queen bed room were the comfy mattresses. Breakfast was the usual and found what we wanted to eat without having to chase anyone down. Room was surprisingly pretty updated with the exception of the carpet (could stand to be replaced). On check-in (pulled in around 8pm) we couldn't find the front desk clerk or anyone to help us for over 10 minutes; not a very good first impression. Overall, considering the location, a good, standard place to stay for a night while on a roadtrip.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

We reserved a room a week in advance at this hotel. We booked a suite and received a special discounted online rate. We arrived after 12 hours on the road, ate our dinner, and headed to the pool (which was nice). At 9:30pm, we returned to the room and it smelled like a bar. The cigarette smoke was terrible. It seemed to be pouring in through the vent in the shower. I called the front desk and the clerk said he'd check it out. He never showed. I called back and explained that the two adults in the room had asthma and we also had a three-year-old with us and felt that the air quality was too poor for us to stay. We asked if there was another room we could have. The desk clerk said, "We do not have any rooms left. What I can do is offer the you early checkout." I said, "What does that mean? We wouldn't be charged for the room, right?" He said there would be some charge because there was nothing wrong with the room. He never had a straight answer for anything. At one point, he admitted there were other rooms available, but they were suites. So I asked, "Yes or no, do you have other rooms you could put us in?" He said, "Since you didn't pay full price for your suite we would not be able to give that to you." To that, I said, "So you're tossing us out on the street with our toddler so you can wait for someone to pay full price?" He actually said, "I can't force you to stay here." Rude! Then he went on about how the hotel was "entirely non-smoking, expect for two rooms." To which I replied, "Then the hotel is not ENTIRELY non-smoking, is it? He kept telling us there would be some charge for the room but he couldn't tell us what. He kept telling us the smoke was probably from outside and I said I suspected it was a ventilation problem. He was unable (or unwilling) to print a receipt of any kind. He said there were other Holiday Inn Express hotels in the area and did not offer to call for us. Cell phone reception was horrid so we had a terrible time getting our smartphones to work so we could look it up ourselves. The stairwell doors were left open, the carpets were filthy, and there were dead wasps outside the room on the floor. The tub stopper was also missing. I read another review for this hotel from two years ago and the tub stopper was missing and smoke was pouring in the room. hmmmm. Sounds like there is a ventilation problem. If you have asthma or if smoke bothers you, do not stay at this place. If rude, unhelpful front desk clerks make you mad, do not stay here. We went 40 miles north and found a Marriott Town Suites in Huntington for $99 a night and the air was clean, the hotel was super clean, the staff was friendly, and the room was $50 cheaper than the junky place we left. At midnight, we were finally able to put our little one to bed. What a night! I called Holiday Inn Priority Club to comment, and it was like pulling teeth to find the correct contact information for hotel comments.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hurricane? Share your experiences!