“Nonprofessional manager” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Huntington
Middletown
“Nonprofessional manager”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We were on a school visit to the university and knew we would be arriving in the wee hours of the morning. When I made the reservations directly with the staff at the hotel I informed the guest service associate that our arrival time would be very late. She said that's ok our room will be held and she'll note late arrival. I asked if there was any prorate because of the time we would be arriving. The guest associate said it's very possible that we would not be charged for that day at all but to ask once we got there. We arrived around 3am in the morning. The next morning we asked if we would be charged for the previous day and the guest associate said she wasn't sure but the manager comes in at 8:30 and she would check with her and call us. We had to go over to the university, however, while we were waiting at the school, I called and talked to Jackie Hymel, General Manager, and asked her if it were possible to not be charged or prorated for the day before since we arrived at 3:00am. Let me tell you, to be a manager, she was the rudest person ever. She said she couldn't believe I was asking her that. Ms. Hymel, said absolutely not, you stayed so you have to pay. Paying wasn't a problem as I told her. I told her I was just relaying to her what was told to me by her staff when the reservation was made directly with the hotel staff. She went on to say that's like giving a free room to every stranger that walked in off the street. Even if I were a stranger on the street, this woman had no compassion what so ever. Her tone and attitude was far from professional. I told her I didn't appreciate the way she was speaking to me and believe me, had I not been at a presentation at school I would have really given her a piece of mind. My husband was besides himself when I told him what she said. We were planning on staying 2 nights there but after her rude comments we checked out. The hotel itself was nice but we will not stay there again because Jackie Hymel has made a poor impression of what management is like at that hotel. Shame on you Ms. Hymel!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Hate to use the word "dump" but it's certainly not the Marriott experience I'm used to. Maybe it's the location - jammed up against the highway where you can hear (dare I say "feel"?) every vehicle that passes by. Maybe it's the "smoking gazebo" 10 feet from my room window. Maybe it's the paper thin walls and ceiling that actually seem to amplify sound (like the hippo pounding around above me and the rap blaring from the room next door). Maybe it's the cheesy check-in area. Or maybe it's just me. All I can say is I'm going to TRY to get some sleep and then leave whenever I wake up - 3AM, 4AM, I don't care as long as I'm gone from here as soon as possible. And, if I ever find myself in this area and in need of sleep again, I'll pull off on the shoulder and sleep in my car before checking in here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

Having to do more business travel than I'm used to, it is nice to come in to a smiling group of people who remember your name and go out of their way to help with anything you need. It makes being away from my wife and kids for extended periods of time just a little more bearable. Clean, friendly, decent breakfast selections, and nice little canteen area for those forgotten items or late night ice cream needs. Gym is limited but suitable- if you need a bigger challenge- go outside and run up the hill to the Amazon building - lungs and legs will be burning and the view is great.

• Stayed March 2013
Huntington, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I have resided at this hotel for an extended period (approaching a year starting April 2012); the staff is both courteous and helpful and the service has been exemplary the entire time. The location is great, a short ride to downtown Huntington and a bit further to the Mall area. Either will allow access to restaurants, theaters, etc. This hotel has my recommendation for folks seeking a stay in the area.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

My wife and I traveled to Huntington for family business. We were there four days and chose the TownePlace Suites because of its location and prices. What a delightful place to stay. The room was cleaner than any other hotel room I have ever stayed in. I immediately found the lady who cleaned it and gave her a tip. The entire hotel staff was just plain friendly and efficient. Always there to help and assist. When we left, my wife accidently left some items in our room. We called about a week later when we noticed them missing and the hotel had them and mailed them to us. It just doesn't get any better than this !!!!!!

Room Tip: Our room on the 2nd floor was quiet and near the elevator.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Portsmouth, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

This hotel is one of the better places i have stayed at. It seems as if they play close attention to details ,from the amenities to the positioning of electrical outlets (and everything else in between). Perfect for a weekend getaway !!!

Room Tip: Just off of Route 64 at the end of Hal Greer Boulevard.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

In this area there are not alot of choices and this is the only Marriott property near Huntington. The people are friendly and the property is not that old. Everything else is what I would say is basic, it meets my needs as a business traveler but does nothing more. The breakfast is basic, so is the workout room. I will say the rooms are laid out very compact but include a good desk area and a nice kitchen area with a full size fridge. Housekeeping was spotty at best. The hotel was quite so it did allow for a decent night sleep. This property is overpriced if you pay the website booking rate but if more competiton builds or moves in the price point may be forced to drop.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to TownePlace Suites by Marriott Huntington? Share your experiences!