“Awesome Hotel Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Durbin, West Virginia
“Awesome Hotel Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Note: I was put in the second building, so I'm writing my review as such.

Finding the hotel wasn't too hard, but I was glad I had studied the relevant streetview instead of relying on Google Maps or any of my GPS devices, because they had me coming in the wrong way. There is a Day's Inn in front of the Red Roof, but the Red Roof sign is easily visible. Just enter the road like you're going into the Days in parking lot, and it's obvious how to get in.

Check-in was easy, I had already paid online, so all I had to to was show my drivers license and get my keys. I was given an upper floor room, which is my preference. Since I was staying for a while, they put me in a room with a fridge and microwave, which was nice. It was also nice to be able to check-in without being 21 (you only have to be 18).

The room smelled great when I entered, everything was clean, surprisingly clean actually. I was impressed. All rooms are non-smoking, so it smelled nice. The air conditioner worked well, cooled the room to where I like it (cold), without smelling up the room or making too much noise. (A few of the other A/C units made noise and/or dripped water, so your milage may vary.)

The plumbing was nice, pressure and temperature stayed consistent while taking a long shower, the toilet was a little noisy, but it didn't seem the sort to clog ever, so I don't mind a little noise. The sink was outside of the bathroom, so I could use it while my friend was taking a shower.

The beds seemed clean enough, they were well made, the pillows were soft enough, yet with enough firmness that you didn't sink in them. Since the hotel was behind another hotel, traffic noise was greatly reduced. While I wouldn't want to set up a recording studio in there, it was quiet enough for the lightest sleeper.

There was a nice little desk, with enough outlets to power my laptop and all my chargers. The desk chair was comfortable. I was in the area for an evening event, so I was working all day. I want a chair like that for my office.

I do not watch TV, so I don't have the slightest idea of how the TV was.

The Wi-Fi wasn't good at all. I had trouble connecting some of my devices, and they didn't work well once they did connect. I had to reconnect every time I went away or restarted a device. Sometimes it wouldn't connect until the third or forth time. I was never able to get good speeds out of it.

The staff was great. I didn't get the name of the cleaning lady. I wish I had, she had a great sense of humor, and was very kind. I like to keep my hotel room clean, and I can make my own bed, so it was nice that I could just get soap/TP and exchange towels without having a whole cleaning. It was nicer for all of us.

The lady at the counter, Gloria, was quite helpful. I'm a big coffee fan, so the free coffee wasn't that great in my opinion, but I'm used to fresh-roasted beans freshly ground and made in an AeroPress. The hot water had some coffee grounds in it, so I couldn't make good tea out of it.

The area around the hotel had a lot of businesses. A good close Papa John's and an even closer Little Cæsers made for nice pizza. There was a McDonalds within an easy walking distance without crossing any main roads. Walmart is just a few minutes away. If you need anything, you can find it close by.

Check-out was even easier then check-in. Hand in the two keys, done. Easy as pie.

I'm planning on staying here next time I'm in the area.

Room Tip: The second building looked nicer than the first. Our upper floor room was nice and quiet, and easy t...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
RedRoofManager, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Huntington, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for your review. I appreciate the detail and fairness in your review and most importantly, I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass this on to my staff. They enjoy hearing from our guests. Thanks for your business and I hope to see you again soon.

Jon Campbell, General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Huntington, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

My experience was simply amazing! The rooms are spacious and very nice. rates are affordable. Most of the staff are very friendly. My favorite front desk receptionist would have to be sherry. She is the sweetest person you ever could meet!! I have told all my friends and family about them and they are booking with them also!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
RedRoofManager, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Huntington, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you for your review. I will pass your comments on to Sherry and the rest of the staff. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and I hope to see you again soon. We appreciate your business.

New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

The hotel is not well exposed, hidden behind the Day's Inn.

Cheap construction and noisy pipes resulted in a poor night's sleep. Linens had a musty smell and displayed signs of mildew.

Will be in Huntington for other events but will avoid this place.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
RedRoofManager, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Huntington, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. I know we can be tough to find the first time since the other hotel built in front of us a while back. Unfortunately, there is not much we can do about it with zoning restrictions. I will definitely look into the issue with linens and noisy pipes to make whatever corrections are necessary. I know these things can be upsetting when you are travelling. I will share this with my staff so we can get better. We want every guest to enjoy their stay and provide a clean, well maintained room, with great service at a good value.

Huntington, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Staff was very helpful and courteous, room was clean, and rate was fair.
Staff was very helpful and courteous, room was clean, and rate was fair

Room Tip: call ahead
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
RedRoofManager, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Huntington, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you for your review. I agree that we are a good value, offer clean rooms with a friendly staff. Thanks again and we appreciate your business.

Jon Campbell
General Manager.
Myrtle Beach, SC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We were very tired from driving and needed some sleep. The room had no coffee maker or fridge. There was coffee in a carafe in the lobby. The beds were ok and the towels were scratchy and small. The room was definitely overpriced but we had no choice we needed to stop. Will try not to let that happen again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
RedRoofManager, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Huntington, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you for your review. I'm very sorry you didn't have a great stay with us. We will use this to get better. I did want to point out that our Superior King Room type does have a coffee maker, iron/ironing board, hairdryer and microfridge, however our other room types do not at this time. We do offer clean, comfortable rooms with great service at a good price. We will continue to work to get better and thanks again for your review.

Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

I concur with many of the previous reviewer's remarks. Night clerk did the job, but was not particularly friendly. Room was small, but clean. Good price. Good shower. No breakfast included. Had trouble getting wi-if at first,but then it was okay.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
RedRoofManager, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Huntington, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry you didn't have a great stay with us. Though I agree with your review that we do offer a clean room with a great price. I'm not sure what I can do about the size of the room but as mentioned previously, we are adding hairdryers, irons and ironing boards to our Superior King room type to add value to those rooms for those who need those items. Thanks again for your feedback that we can use to get better.

Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Based on others reviews, we opted to stay here even though our experiences with this chain in the past have not been great. But since the reviews were good, we took a chance. Here is what we found:

The night clerk wasn't at all friendly nor terribly helpful, so our first impression wasn't good. We obviously didn't deal with the same staff that other reviewers have raved about.

Next, the room was quite a bit smaller than we were led to believe. It would have been very tight for a family with kids, but was fine for my wife and I. The sink area had reasonable counter space and was outside the main bathroom. The main bathroom was tiny--no exaggeration--you had difficulty closing the door behind you, or opening it without stepping back from the toilet.

On the bright side, the water pressure was the best I've encountered--in fact, it was almost too much with the fine-spray head installed. Great for exfoliating, but would've been a bit more comfortable with a larger droplet size. We couldn't keep our faces under it for more than a second or two. Hot water never ran out and the room had obviously been remodelled recently.

The only problem with the remodel was the all-wood floors throughout the room. If they got the least bit wet, they were slippery as snot. My wife and I both had close-calls with falls. When we went to wipe the floor and solve the safety issue, we found they only provided two small bath towels--no hand towels, no wash rags and nothing extra to use. Also, there were no tissues in the room-we had to use toilet paper. I know, not an earth-shattering inconvenience, but still another small item that was not at all standard.

The room was billed as having a mini-fridge and microwave, but our room had neither. There is no complimentary breakfast either, though coffee is provided at the front desk.

Our final aggravation was that we were not billed correctly--the online rate stated one amount but we were billed $3 more, plus the taxes. Again, not a significant amount, but dishonest in my opinion. If you quote a rate, then charge that rate, don't sneak in an extra few bucks in the final bill.

All told, the facility was clean and livable, but didn't measure up with a lot of the small details, so cumulatively not that great in our opinion. Passing this way again, I'd strongly consider other options.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
RedRoofManager, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Huntington, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for your review. I'm very sorry that we did not meet your expectations and that we clearly fell short during your stay. Though I cannot control the size of the room or bathroom, I'm not sure what happened with the towel issue. All rooms do get two bath towels, two hand towels and two wash cloths. I don't know why that wasn't the case in your room, but I will find out. With regards to the microfridges, our Superior King room type has microfridges, hair dryers, coffee makers, and irons and ironing boards in them. Our other room types do not have them. The extra charge appears to be the safe warranty that is added each night. We gladly remove the charge when you tell the front desk about it. We automatically charge the fee due to security concerns of our guests and not wanting to ask if you will be using the safe. Again, I'm sorry you did not have a great stay, but I do appreciate the feedback so that we can get better.

Jon Campbell, General Manager.

Been to Red Roof Inn Huntington? Share your experiences!