“Horseback Riding Joy” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Biking Trails, Hiking Trails, Scenic/ Historic Walking Areas
Activities: Biking, Hiking
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: A 75-mile hiking and biking trail.
Davidson, North Carolina, United States
4 attraction reviews
“Horseback Riding Joy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We bought a summer place near the Greenbrier River Trail in part for the many pleasures offered by the trail and the river. While we kayak, float and ride bikes, my favorite use of the trail is for horseback riding. On even the warmest days, much of the trail is in deep shade. There is always wildlife to be seen -- deer, groundhogs, skunk, an occasional bear, otter, many small mammals. The birds along the river are varied and abundant, from eagles and other raptors to swallows, woodpeckers and finches. The trail surface is generally suitable for unshod horses; there are several fords and creeks where horses can be watered easily. Horses are not welcome in the camping or picnic sites, for obvious reasons, but you can tie them outside and enjoy a nice lunch on a long ride. The trail offers several bridge crossings and two tunnels, as well as the experience of encountering hikers and bikers from horseback. Great experience! One recommendation: they need signs outlining trail courtesy when hikers, bikers and horses share the trail. Many do not seem to know that the horses have the right of way, and you need to call out as you approach. Nothing startles many horses more than a bike approaching quietly from behind, and it can cause quite an accident. A good trail map is available on the GRT website. Barnett Cabins near Hillsboro offers lodging for horses and riders.

Visited September 2013

Damascus, Maryland
“Lovely views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

The views are lovely, but the trail is a little rough. Some areas had relatively deep fine gravel that made biking difficult. We have 77 x28 mm tires. The facilities were all clean and stocked. Most had water pumps - they were easy to use. We biked the entire trail from Cass to Lewisburg in 2 days and then back in 2 days. People were friendly, however, if you're used to people traveling on the right and passing on the left, they don't do that on this trail. When you approach a pedestrian from behind and warn them you're passing on the left, they jump off to the side of the trail and tell you to take the middle: which is the roughest area of the trail. It's a bit disconcerting. The bathroom in Cass is at the Railroad. Stop before you head out, the first bathroom is 12 miles down the trail.

Visited October 2012
Charleston, WV
4 attraction reviews
“GRT is GR8!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

This is one of the best rail trails in the country and runs along the beautiful Greenbrier River. It passes through a number of quaint little towns along the way. Sporadic spots to camp, and inumerable opportunities for fishing. Stop by our cabin and say hi between mile post 44-45!

Visited August 2012
Richmond, Virginia
28 attraction reviews
“EXCELLENT Ride even for a novice as myself!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

My husband and I loaded up the bike trailer and pulled on the back packs. We planned to ride from end to end over the Memorial Day weekend. We made it to the last outhouse and watering hole and called it a night, just a few miles from Cass. I was beat, we had ridden all day, I had saddle sores, he failed to tell me to use bag balm prior ro suiting up. But it was worth it, the weekend was gorgeous, just a lght mist wheich coole dus down, when we arose in the morning, my sores were worse, but we rode into Cass (Sunday) and hoped to purchase som onitment for me...the clerk from the motel even looked in her personal first aid kit for anythign to help - nothing! I had to turn my seat around so as not to sit on my blisters....againg they were worth it. We say bears and birds and snakes and all of God's other creatures...what a beautiful weekend. SO saddle up (use the bag balm liberally) and back you bag you have a trail calling your name. You will not be disappointed, it was worth the now purple scars.

Visited May 2012
Edenton, North Carolina
26 attraction reviews
“Main reason we came here on vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I love this trail and wish our state would enact "Rail to Trail" legislation like WV has done. We biked the Seebert to Marlinton section and back one day. There is considerable vacation development in this area, but it is still a fun ride. My 9 year old had no problems biking the 22 miles on his little bike. The grade is gentle, and the 1/4" stone is suitable for mountain bikes or hybrid mountain/road bikes. I would not recommend skinny tire racing bikes. The interpretive history signs were really interesting, but I wish there were more of them. Nice views of the mountains and river. Another day, we biked the Beard to Droop Mountain tunnel (and a bit further) section on the recommendation of the GRT pamphlet. This 12 mile section has less development, with some old farms and more history. The tunnel was very neat. CAUTION: There are dogs at some of the residences along this section that will chase you and and try to bite. I strongly suggest keeping some pepper spray at the ready just in case. We also saw a black bear, but he kept his distance. There are some good camping areas along the trail with nice tent platforms. We plan to return when my son is older and bike the whole length in one day!

Visited August 2012