“Amazing Campground for Groups” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ray's Campground

Ray's Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hico
Ray's Campground
You added Ray's Campground to your Saves list
Hico, WV 25854   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Specialty Lodging in Hico
Washington
“Amazing Campground for Groups”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

My buddies and I do an annual camping trip every year and while we choose different places every year, after our recent experience with Ray's, we may have to keep going back again and again and again. The folks at Ray's were kind, accommodating, and laid back. They set us up in a private "party" area where my friends and I could be a little raucous around the campfire at night, were flexible about how when and everybody paid (at $8.50 per night per person still one of the cheapest campsites I've ever stayed at), and were quick to help us out if we needed anything. The campsite was expansive and freshly groomed, the shower facilities were clean and convenient, and the ability to get ice and wood whenever we needed on an honor system (just pay what you owe in the end), was very convenient given our nocturnal activities. Whether it's for a weekend with buddies or a trip for the family, Ray's campground is the place you want to go.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2011

I've been to Ray's since 1997 and to this day will tell anyone going rafting that they MUST stay at Ray's. Don't buy into the package deals that some of the rafting companies try to build into their costs if you stay at one of their campgrounds - it does not save you as much as booking rafting separate and then staying at Ray's. Ray's exists because over the years, they have kept their costs consistently low and the service is friendly and down-to-earth. I camp at Ray's everytime I visit the are to hit the rapids. Firewood is readily available and delivered right to my campsite and Dren cooks a hearty breakfast if you opt to join them in the morning. It is an easy location to miss since it is tucked in just a bit off the main road, but once you know where it is it is so easy to get to.

Room Tip: Book cabins early if traveling with a large group
  • Stayed May 2011
cape girardeau mo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2008

Great Place, and can't wait to go back.
Had no problems at all. The place was clean and well kept.
VERY FRIENDLY FOLKS THERE.
My wife and I had a great time in the area, and Ray and his wife were very helpful in pointing out some area highlights.
We were tent camping, and the place was beautiful, and so quiet you could here all the night sounds. The campground is far enough from the highways that you could barely hear them.
Ray's is a little off the beaten path, but that is what we were looking for. Worth the drive to get there. (not that far)
We will be going back as soon as possible.

• Liked — friendly people there and quiet area
  • Disliked — can't think of any thing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Columbus, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2008

I have stayed at Ray's Campground every year for the last 6 or 7 years. I usually travel there as part of a large group that visits from Columbus, OH to raft the New River. But I have also used Ray's Campground when travelling alone or in a small group on several visits to WV for the Bridge Day celebration in October. The campground is less than 15 minutes from the New River Gorge Bridge.

I have always found Ray to be an attentive owner, who happily responds to even late night requests for things like firewood, soap/supplies in the restroom, etc. He is also a storehouse of local knowledge and has directed me to some of the most beautiful trout streams I've fished in many years.

The cost to stay at Ray's is extremely reasonable, whether you stay in a cabin or use one of his many tent sites. Grocery stores and service stations can be found less than 10 minutes away.

The facilities there include a communal bath house, where you can get a hot shower, wash up in the sink, or use the toilet facilities.

Finally, the campground's location, high on the ridge line affords great views of the night sky and works well for stargazing.

Ray Fusco
Columbus, Ohio

• Liked — The attentive owner
  • Disliked — gets a bit muddy when it rains
  • Stayed May 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Oberlin, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2006

Ray's was recommended to us by the staff of the rafting company that helped arrange our trip down the New River. While some of the sites at Ray's were beautiful and the owners were friendly, we should have suspected something when we saw the only campground rule was "Quiet Hours: Midnight to 7 a.m." One camper rode his ATV up and down the campground paths, others played radios loud enough that you could identify the exact song 100 yards away. The owners seemed unwilling to intervene regarding the ATV, even after we asked. We offered to move to Ray's lower campground away from the noise, and were awakened late that night by a camper, roaring drunk, having a conversation with his friends at the top of his lungs - we could hear him loud and clear from the upper campground. The good news? He quieted down around midnight, but by that time we had decided to ask for a refund - we wouldn't be staying a second night.

Been to Ray's Campground? Share your experiences!