“Backwoods luxury at the New River Gorge” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Country Road Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hico
Country Road Cabins
Save Saved
You added Country Road Cabins to your Saves list
1508 Sunday Road, Hico, WV 25854   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Specialty Lodging in Hico
VA
“Backwoods luxury at the New River Gorge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

We stayed for a week in the "Suprise" cabin at Country road Cabins and enjoyed our stay immensely. Like all the cabins on the property it is named after rapids on the New and Gauley rivers. We were only 10 minutes from the gas station at Routes 10 and 19, and only 20 minutes from the New River Bridge and the town of Hico. Our log cabin was surrounded by woods, with no other houses or cabins in sight. The gravel road that runs through the property is well maintained, with signs to each of the cabins so that you do not get lost. We were late booking our cabin for the New River Birding and Nature Festival, and all of the smaller cabins were rented. Ours was a two bedroom - sleeps 6 easily, and 8 in a pinch. The log cabin looked like it had just been built, with a covered front porch and side porch - complete with rocking chairs and a hot tub. The full kitchen had new appliances and everything you could ever need to cook a full meal or heat up leftovers. The beds were comfortable - not the luxury pillow-tops you find at 5-star hotels, but comfortable, and we slept well. Both bedrooms had Queen beds. The downstairs bedroom was small, but the downstairs bathroom was nicely proportioned. The shower had lots of hot water. In keeping with ecological awareness - the shower did not have great water pressure - but it was sufficient to take a good shower. The furniture in the living room and dining room was nice - a cut above hotel/motel. It was a warm week, and we did not use the gas fireplace. The hot tub was cleaned between each guest visit and a boron dispenser floated in it to maintain cleanliness. I never ever use hot tubs, but this was so clean and well maintained that I felt comfortable using it. The cabin had both heat and air conditioning, and screens in all windows. Cable TV and DVD player were in the living room - we never turned them on. No Wi-Fi, and could not get a signal on 3G ipad - but IPhone had no problem with signal. We enjoyed hours sitting on our porch watching birds come and go, and an occasional deer. We could barely hear the traffic on Route 19 through the trees. We have already booked a weekend in a smaller cabin for this fall. We can't wait to go back. A couple of things to note - the cabin does not have daily housekeeping. If you stay longer than a day or so, you carry your trashbag to the dumpster at the entrance of the property when it is full. We never met the owners of the property - our key was left in our door, with a note to all guests at the check-in cabin. None of this detracted in any way from our stay - but its good to know what to expect.

Room Tip: read the descriptions of the cabins to find theone that meets your needs for size
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Our family of 6 adults stayed very comfortably here. The final access road is very twisty, unlit, and only paved in a single lane down the center with wide gravel shoulders- so its a little scary, but not unlike many other roads in the area. The location was central to many of the area activities. groceries were easily obtained nearby- a Walmart Supercenter is only about 20 minutes away. We made use of both the grill & hot tub, and appreciated how MANY towels were provided! Amber at the reservations center also helped us reserve a zipline trip, and I was grateful for her advice. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Fort Lauderdale
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

My niece is getting married a short distance from Country Road Cabins in August 2012. My husband and I will need a hotel for 4 nights during the time of the wedding. After reviewing many possible places to stay, we thought Country Road Cabins would be the perfect spot for our August stay. The reviews for Country Road are very good.

In April 2012, my sister, niece and I needed to visit this area to make wedding plans, so we decided to stay at Country Road for 1 night. This would give us an opportunity to see if this would be a good place for other family members to stay during the wedding weekend. When making my reservations for both visits, the people that i spoke to at Country Road were very helpful and friendly.

Our cabin was located near the back of the property. We were told that the key would be left outside the door of the cabin. In retrospect, this now feels very unsafe! In addition, there is a board at the entrance to the property that tells you exactly which cabins are occupied and by whom. We spent the daylight hours visiting wedding vendors and then arrived at the cabin before dark. We were very happy with the cabin. We left to go into Lansing for dinner. Upon returning, the fog was so thick that we had a significant amount of trouble driving on the final, single lane road to reach Country Cabins. In addition, there were no lights on the gravel road going back to our cabin. Because of this and the remote location of these cabins, I decided it was probably not the best choice for our wedding stay. Therefore, I called the next day to cancel our August reservation; i was canceling with 4 months notice. I was very surprised that the person I spoke to did not ask me why we were canceling or whether we were happy with our stay. There also was no indication verbally or in writing from Country Road previously that there would be a cancellation fee, yet they charged $25 to cancel for a visit that would not occur for another 4 months? Seriously? I think the cabins were great and very affordable but the service and certain operating policies of this site are questionable. I could not recommend it to other wedding guests.

Room Tip: Our cabin was lovely, spacious and comfortable. But, if you are concerned about being alone in the...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Morgantown, WV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

My boyfriend and I recently stayed for 2 nights. The staff members were so helpful before we arrived and they are so sweet. We definitely needed a quiet break and that is exactly what we got. It was so peaceful and relaxing. Also, the cabin was very clean and it even had wireless internet. You don't need to bring anything with you. The staff can supply the food (if you let them know ahead of time), or there are some great menus available in the cabin. We are definitely going back!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Charmco WV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

My husband and I recently spent 2 nights at Country Road Cabins and are looking forward to returning soon!!!We didn't leave the cabin for anything, everything we needed and more was already there, encluding breakfast and a wonderful Steak dinner!!! We enjoy staying in cabins and have stayed in others in WV, VA and TN, but this was the best by far!!! Thanks to the staff for making our stay perfect!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Ashland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

WE WILL BE BACK! The folks at the cabin were super nice and accomodating, making it a late check in easy. The cabin was spotless, comfortable, and well equipped. We went to New River Gorge almost on impulse. We wanted to get away for the weekend and wanted a cabin. I was so happy with the rate I got that we jumped on it and started the 2 1/2 drive as soon as my wife and I got off work. We arrived around 9:30pm to the lights and TV on almost welcoming us in. We stayed up a few hours planning our next day and had us some pizza from a nearby Gino's for dinner. We spent the entire next day running up trails, loading SD cards with pictures, and dining at some nice places. Exhausted we stopped by a nearby Foodland and picked up the steaks, potatoes, and corn on the cob. We fired up the grill and hot tob and soaked our aching muscles. A private deck afforded me the ability to relax for a bit and then get out to check on our steaks. After our delicious dinner we retired to the living room and watch a movie before climbing back in our comfy beds dreading the return home the next day. This trip was just what the doctor ordered and Country Road Cabins was the perfect place to set the stage for a dream weekend.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
alum creek
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

I was having one of the worst months possible. Upon my arrival at these cabins i was amazed at the privacy and luxery of these cabins. I have never been so relaxed in my life i enjoyed the entire weekend. For the first time in years i was able to sleep in until 11:00 am i have never been able to do that/ It was nice and clean and the hot tub was so nice i did not want to leave it. It was also with in travel distance of some nice reatsturants and entertainment. I cant wait to go again and enjoy the great views of WV. thanks so much for a wonderful trip>>>>

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Country Road Cabins? Share your experiences!