“WOW” 5 of 5 stars

Rocky Mount, Virginia
7 attraction reviews
“WOW”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

We didn't come to this area for this attraction but we stopped along the way and are happy we did.

The tour of the place was amazing and the sheer sizes of the telescopes were breathtaking and being kinda nerdy they were beautiful!

If your ever in this area this is a must do, you can check the list off for seeing the largest mobile object on land! ;)

Visited June 2012

Aurora, Colorado
30 attraction reviews
“Very interesting and unique!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Our first trip here and I found it very interesting, as a person who has worked in the space field by knows little about radio astronomy. You can take a tour for only $6 and it's well worth that. Tours are on the hour all day long. The visitor center has some neat displays and things kids can fool around with some to learn something about this field. There is also a small snack bar with sandwiches, ice cream, drinks, etc and restroom facilities.

You start the tour in an auditorium where someone gives you some background on the facility and what they do there, then watch about a 10 minute movie, then they put you on a bus and you drive through the grounds, going by most of the telescopes they utilize there, learning about each one. The whole tour is about an hour in length. If you want a close up picture of the "jewel" of this facility, the massive Green Bank Telescope (100 x 110 meter dish and 148 meters tall!), make sure you bring your old 35mm camera - no digital cameras are allowed in the RFI restricted zone. The tour guide we had told several amusing stories, had a great sense of humor, and was willing to answer any questions you had.

This is an amazing place and even if you're not much of a science geek I think you'll find it very interesting, and certainly worth the $6 for the tour.

Visited August 2012
Punta Gorda, Florida
53 attraction reviews
“Stop and Enjoy Your Tax Dollars at Work”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We visited today with the Road Scholars program. The introductory meeting at the beginning of the tour was very thorough. The presenter was able to answer all our qestions and used demostrations to highlight parts of her talk.

The area is a national quiet zone as extra radio waves in the area can destroy research that is under way.

On the tour, standing under the "big dish" is awesome and really makes you feel small. I like to think that my tax dollars support this worthwhile project.

Clarksburg, West Virginia
15 attraction reviews
“Go see the GBT. . . Great Big Thing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Definitely add it to your trip if in the area visiting Snowshoe or Cass. On July 4th, included NRAO in our plans. A friend, originally from Florida, and I were going to spend the day in that area. Went to Cass first, then Green Bank, and back up the mountain to eat dinner at Snowshoe. I wasn't the science geek in high school, but it was very interesting to me. The trip use to be free, but I don't mind at all to pay $6. The experience begins in the theater with a short film, scientist/guide presentation and then on the bus tour. The guy was pleasant and funny at times. It wasn't boring. They have an interactive room that the children were enjoying. We didn't eat at the snack bar, but it did smell good.

Maybe four or five years ago, my kids and I were there in October (fall) and a special event was taking place . . . maybe an anniversay of some sorts. Many activities were planned in and out of the building. You were allowed inside the fence of the "GBT" (Great Big Thing, the guide called it)! We had hard hats and could walk all the way to it. Imagine, looking up to the size of two football fields.They gave us disposable cameras with prepaid envelopes for developing also. My daughter still remembers it. So, maybe visit their website or call to see if anything special is planned when you are visiting. We didn't, but what a nice surprise.

Beavercreek, Ohio
8 attraction reviews
“Take the Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

My family recently took the tour at Green Bank and loved it. My husband has degrees in science so he was in his glory. My kids (3 and 5) loved the science exhibits. I loved seeing them all happy. Take the bus tour. It is worth it. The small cafe was good too.