“Great looking place friendly service but...” 3 of 5 stars

Add it.
No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Flat Top
Prestwould Bed and Breakfast
Save Saved
You added Prestwould Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
255 Piney Flats Road, Flat Top, WV 25841   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Flat Top B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great looking place friendly service but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2006

Okay so my boyfriend and I were looking for a B&B in Charleston, WV. I only saw one online and it didn't have any photos so we decided to go to prestwould instead which was over an hours drive.
If you are looking for serious seculsion this is it. We didn't really like it because you had to drive so far out (If you rent a car you will be ok) we only stayed for one day since it was so far from everything. The owner was quite polite while we were there she even served us the dinner included in the price a day early. The house was cute but I was expecting something a little older and more charming. It is fairly new. They have a small dog and the grounds are kept nicely. I did get poison Ivy or sumac while sitting in the garden. I had to take medication and it didn't go away for a Month! It is a long drive to the house and very far in the wilderness.
My boyfriend is an international student and his ATM Card from the Bahamas stopped working so we told her as soon as the card was replaced and the funds were cleared we would mail a check for the remainder of $100. It took like 3 weeks for a new ATM card to be sent to my BF from his country. so we called her and appologized for the inconvience. I had also left a ring there and asked if she could mail it. She 1st said the address was incorrect in oder to get me to give her a secondary address where she mailed a very offensive letter which my mother FWD to me. Well the card got here sooner than expected so we mailed a check priority mail. The same day I put the check in the mail I we recived a letter about how she said she only has problems with funds with visitors from W.V. (Not remembering my bf wasn't from WV thats why it took so long) she went on in the letter it was very offensive. She herself is from WV but seems quite hung up on her english roots (which most americans have.) She did send a note back appologizing.
I mean it was one of those things where unexpected stuff happens. What can you do? I understand her concern about her money but there was no need to be so offensive.

• Stayed June 2005
GaleFlatTop, Owner at Prestwould Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, April 10, 2007
In response to the review that was posted sometime ago. The couple had post dated a check to me in advance of 4 months which I did not discover until after their early departure. We They asked for our Romance Package which included dinner on the second night of their stay. After arriving by taxi, they decided that they could not afford to spend the second night. They had apparently taken the bus from Charleston, WV. The Prestwould B&B website states on the the homepage that it is a secluded country estate and we are located 5 miles from I-77.

In my defense, this is the only negative review that Prestwould B&B has ever received and we have been doing business almost 10 years. We actually did not realize that it was posted until we had guests in from DC, whom had viewed it. They thought that it sounded strange so they decided to come and see for themselves. I went out of my way to accomodate this couple first by accepting a pet in the home due to it being his service dog and then preparing dinner within hours of their arrival with no notice. They also arrived 5 hours before check-in and ask me to have breakfast by 6:00 a.m. so that they could get back to Beckley and to catch 1 of 2 buses that travel between Beckley and Charleston. I received a call from the guests stating that she had left a ring and please mail it to her. I then packaged it and drove to the post office and mailed it to the address that I had....the package was returned undeliverable. I then called her back and she gave me another address since the one that I had was a campus address in Charleston and it was after school had let out for the semester. I then go back to the post office and mail the package once again at no charge to her for either mailings.

In the letter that I wrote to the guests, I stated that you could not go to a hotel anywhere in the US and not pay for your stay and ask to post date a check for 4 months. I thought that it was unfair to ask that of a business. In the letter, I did state that the only problems that I had ever had collected money, no shows, etc. were from West Virginians and they should not expect to recieve services and not pay for them.

I am sorry that they felt that a country estate was not a good place to come, No where in our website do we state that any activities were in walking distance other than enjoying the grounds. A guests should have a car when they come to the country! As far as getting posion ivy or posion oak - the only place this couple were at in our gardens were in the back gardens setting on a brick terrace in front of the fishpond. There are no posion plants that we are growing in any of the gardens! As far as being proud of my English roots - I am! Prestwould B&B got its name from my ancestral home England, and it so states on the website. The home is also about 10 years old now and nowhere did we state that it was old. Most guests believe it to be old because of its character. You be the judge of its charm and character.

I am sorry that I felt the need to respond to his review, but after all of the years of high ratings, I could not believe that this couple felt that they must post such a negative review. We strive here at Prestwould B&B to make our guests comfortable and their stay pleasant. I am sorry that they felt vindictive. We felt that their visit should have been paid for upon their stay and we should not have had to wait over a month for payment.

Gale Ellison Chapman
Owner

Families
Solo
Business

Been to Prestwould Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!