“Had a great time other than the company I took with me!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Attractions in Flat Top
Type: Ski/ Snowboard Areas, Sports
Hickory, North Carolina
14 attraction reviews
“Had a great time other than the company I took with me!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Well first of all let me begin to say that I am a 38 yr old mother of two and love to snowboard! I skiied for 20 yrs and my 17 yod has been my best friend and the person that has skiied and snowboarded with me for many years. This year however she works and is preparing to go away for college. That being said, I had two lift tickets to Winterplace that covered rentals and a one hour lesson, that were going to go to waste in March if they were not used. So I ask someone whom I didnt know well go to and that part of the trip was a disaster... But I was very very impressed with Winterplace. The slopes were nice and the staff was super nice. I also have lost a lot of weight so I had taken cooked, portion controlled meals to eat and then found out they have no microwave. The staff went out of their way and took my containers and placed them in something else and cooked my food in the oven, which was far and beyond what many people would do. I so appreciated it and when I go back I now know to pack some time of food that does not need heating. Many of the local resorts we board at have microwaves. The lifts at Winterplace go at a good speed, and the staff seemed much more cheery than at a lot of places. The cafeteria food looked good and was very spacious and they didnt seem strict about you leaving a lunch cooler on the table. I didnt notice any signs like alot of resorts have forbidding this, so I left my bag on a small table. It seemed very relaxed and laid back. There were a lot more skiiers when we were there than snowboarders. Winterplaces prices are also very low compared to a lot of places. If I hadnt taken someone that I didnt know very well I would have had a wonderful time! I definitely want to go back! The resort was very clean and very well laid out.

Spartanburg, South Carolina
“fresh snow and sun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Cold temps, fresh snow and sunshine made for great skiing. Weekdays are nice, weekends get crowded at times. Son hurt his knee, and medics were there quickly and very professional in handling the situation. Back on the slopes the next day, and after a fresh snowfall the skiing was awesome! Lodge was crowded, but again it was in the 20's. Overall it was a fun, enjoyable family experience.

Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
3 attraction reviews
“Great family fun!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

We have been to a few tubing places and this had been the best one yet. We went on a Sunday and it was a little crowded but the line moved quickly. Having the 4 hr session was great cause it gave you time to stop if you want and go inside to warm up with some hot cocoa or food. We had kids from 6yrs-15yrs old and they all had a blast. We are already planning our next trip back:)

9 attraction reviews
“$10.66 Per Tube Ride”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I thought I would take my son for a fun time for President's weekend at Winterplace. I drove to my mother's house and went to Winterplace for a Saturday afternoon tube adventure. After arriving, I was told that my mother could go to the Mountain House to relax while my son and I tubed. The Mountain House was anything but relaxing. It's jammed full of tables and resembled more like a high school cafeteria. You couldn't move and she ended up waiting for us in the car. Also, I called before I left the house to see if there were lockers to rent. Let's just say that I'm glad my mother came to take the rest of our stuff to the car. The amount of lockers are pathetic. The costs for a 1 to 5pm tube ticket was $32.00. The lines were so bad, that literally in the time it took to get to the lift to take you to the top, you only got to ride three times. Therefore, the value that I got from my son and I was three times down a mountain at $10.66 per ride--incredibly overpriced for a 15 second thrill. I would suggest that they take reservations and increase the amount of the ticket. It's just too expensive and the amount of frustration that one gets while waiting in line could be negated by changing the business model. The tube ride itself is fun, but the wait in line, price, and the lodge is totally lacking. I would not recommend--unless you have time to spare in the cold. I would suggest that you go during the middle of the week.

Indiana
5 attraction reviews
“FUN PLACE TO SNOWTUBE”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

This was my husband and I first time to ever come here. We were so impressed by the beautiful scenery, and the attentiveness of the employees. The gal who sold us our snowtubing ticket was very friendly and helpful to us. All of the guys and gals supervising the snowtubing area were friendly, and spoke with us everytime we went on the elevator belt, and asked us if we were enjoying ourselves.

The employees also enforced rules when someone tried to walk up the elevator lift even though the signs CLEARLY stated to stand still. It was nice to know they were spot on with their responsibilities. The snowtube lanes were well groomed, and we never once felt like it was not safe. We laughed and enjoyed ourselves the entire afternoon. $28 for a 4 hour session is very reasonable for a great day on the slopes! If we were younger, we might have lasted the entire 4 hours, but we sure had fun for the 2 hours we did hold up!