“Great visit!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mavis Manor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Flat Top
Mavis Manor
122 Tower Rd, PO Box 13, Flat Top, WV 25841   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Flat Top B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Chicago, Illinois
“Great visit!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

My boyfriend and I recently visited the Mavis Manor on our drive back to Chicago from North Carolina. We were looking for something a bit different from your typical Hampton Inn, Best Western, etc. This was perfect! We arrived past the check in time but it was no problem at all. Justyn and Lisa greeted us with open arms and had hot tea waiting for us. We were given a great tour of the house - amazing history! Although our trip here was just a short night, we definitely plan on coming back! It is a beautiful house, extremely clean, great art and Justyn made us an amazing breafast in the morning. The house sits on 33 acres, so in the morning we walked around the grounds to visit the horses, cows and roosters. This was a great experience - thanks!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

11 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011 via mobile

We didn't plan to stop in Flat Top but circumstances made it necessary. Jasyn and Lisa were gracious enough to make room for us with very little notice. The house is very pretty with an interesting history. Beds were soft and atmosphere was quiet and relaxing. Jasyn made us a delicious breakfast including homemade blueberry pancakes. I would definitely recommend this B&B to anyone.

• Stayed December 2011
Elkins, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

We booked a room at Mavis Manor and went whitewater rafting that weekend, which is about 30 minutes north of our stay. In short, I would recommend Mavis Manor to anyone looking for a comfortable, quiet, clean and affordable stay. The bonus is a beautiful house with a long history, interesting and eclectic art, a great homemade breakfast (blueberry pancakes are yummy - they don't skimp on the berries!), and super gracious owners - Justyn and Lisa are very nice, interesting people. You can tell they really care about the business and your stay. I love the numerous cats around the house (however they don't allow them upstairs or in the bedrooms so if you have allergies, you're safe), the chickens, the quiet country space, and the little bit of bohemian edge....yet professional & comfortable......a special experience. I'll definitively be back if I'm in the area.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

Recently I was traveling from Pittsburgh and stopped in Flat Top, WV along the way not knowing what to expect. I appreciated that spending time at Mavis Manor gave you a experience, and a wonderful one at that, more so than just a room to stay in. What I liked best was how relaxed everyone was in welcoming me into their home. We spent the afternoon watching hens cluck around and feeding horses watermelon. Afterwards we walked up to the top of a hill and watched the sunset. Flat top has nowhere really worthwhile to eat and Justin also graciously invited to eat dinner with his family, where I felt truly welcomed. I had to have breakfast at 6AM because I had to continue on my drive which was absolutely no problem either. Other details, excellent wifi, clean and comfortable rooms, and was upgraded me to a larger space. I would definitely come back!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Jackbell50
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2009

It’s a lovely little spot over in Southern West Virginia. The Manor is lovely when the grounds are snow-covered. This is the place to stay! Worth every penny! The rooms are nicely decorated with some of today’s ammmenities. The detail in this house is amazing! And just when you think it's over, it’s amazing how much history is in this house. Justyn is a class act and a warming host.

• Liked — Justyn knew where everything was, and how to get there.
  • Disliked — We didn't know where were hiking trails, we would have dressed to go hiking.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2008

Wow, the place is like a storybook come to life. It was a perfect for a getaway with the girlfriend. Justyn was so flexible about the check-in time. We made a lot of stopped so we didn’t arrive till after 9 pm. The room was super nice and the accommodating, making me feel right at home. In the morning we had a nice breakfast, and then a tour of the house. I was surprised to hear it was built to be a hospital! After another cup of coffee we hiked up the old road to the top of the mountain to view the mountains. Will definitely be staying here next time I roll through West Virginia. The value and vibe are unbeatable.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ann Arbor, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2008

Mavis Manor is a great place to relax. It's not difficult to get to, just off I-77 and down a ways, about halfway between Beckley and Bluefield. It's a gorgeous house (I love the paint job!) with a nice wide porch that wraps halfway around the house and is good for sitting with a cup of tea and enjoying life.
I spent plenty of my time relaxing on the porch, but made time to explore the land surrounding Mavis Manor. I don't remember how much it is, acre-wise, but it kept me busy for most of the afternoon. The views from the top of the mountain were very good, I could see all the way to Virginia!
My room was pretty and well-lit. The bed had plenty of pillows, so was able to find a good one (I'm pretty choosy about my pillows!) At breakfast, the inkeeper was so considerate to include wheat free/dairy free scones he made from scratch. I'm allergic to both, and it's often difficult for me to find alternatives. As if the rest of my vacation hadn't sold me on Mavis Manor, that little touch really impressed me.
I'll be back for sure!

• Liked — Beautiful old house out in the country
  • Disliked — It's 8 hours away from my house!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Mavis Manor? Share your experiences!