“Good but not great” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Culloden, West Virginia
“Good but not great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Was there Labor Day weekend, loved the little place, waitress was great in fact the entire staff was great. Menu did not match their website. We got the fried dill pickles and I was expecting the chip type but this was dill spears, they were good but the sauce u dip them was very good. I knew I was going too get the shrimp and grits but the wife had decided on another item on their website so she had to switch to shrimp grits also. Salad was OK, dressing was very good. Shrimp and grits was not that great, while i have only had this dish 3 times this time it was not what i was expecting , it was a nice serving of grits with some sauteed onion and green pepper with the sausage and shrimp, no sauce or gravy and for a Cajun dish it was very very bland . The sausage had no taste but the shrimp was very good. The portion was OK but for $19 a bit overpriced. Overall I enjoyed Gumbos, and I will go back when in the area, just will get something else on the menu. I give them 4 stars but the shrimp and grits 3 stars.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

90% Recommend
Ohio
“One of the best reasons to visit Fayetteville!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

If your hiking or rafting the new river take some time to stop at Gumbo's, its well worth it! Authentic and interesting menu that is fairly priced. Gumbo's is also accommodating to all diets, they have vegan and gluten free alternatives for almost everything on the menu. Make sure to save room for dessert too, the salty carmel creme puff is still on my mind! The place doesn't look like much from the outside, but give it a try and you'll be back the next day for more!

Visited August 2013
Edenton, North Carolina
“Overpriced and oversalted”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We were looking for a place to celebrate our last night of camping at nearby Babcock state park. I was looking for a restaurant the had local cuisine, but we found this place on TripAdvisor, and it was the highest rated place that wasn't pizza or sandwiches. I could not believe I was eating seafood in the mountains since we live on the coast, nor Acadian, since I grew up in east Texas near the LA border. So, I was set up for disappointment. My son got the seafood gumbo, which has a thick, heavily spiced sauce that he did not like. I was able to tolerate it, but it was not that tasty. I had the special, which was shrimp, scallops and oysters in a heavily salted tomato sauce. It would have been better, but way too much salt. My hands were swollen later that night from the salt. The prices were very high, with our total bill (no booze and only water to drink) for 2 coming to over $40. We would have been better off at the Methodist Church Chili Fundraiser that was happening that night. This was our only meal out for the week, so that made it extra disappointing. Next time I will get my Acadian seafood in NO or at least at home at the coast of NC.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Love Gumbo's!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Love the buffalo shrimp! Gumbo and fried seafood platters are awesome! Get cheese grits and dirty rice as your sides! You won't be disappointed!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
York
“Cajun food in Fayetteville? Yum”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We pulled in to the sleepy town of Fayetteville the eve before a raft trip on the New and were looking for a little something different and local. Wow. We found it in Gumbo's. Who'd have thought such a cool little eclectic restaurant would be found in rural WV? Our waitress made sure to tell us that although authentic, they didn't use a lot of spices in the Cajun. That suited my daughter fine. We found several vegetarian options for her. A lot of the vegetables were local. I had the blackened shrimp which was delicious and my wife had some of the gumbo. The service was good and it was reasonably priced.

Tip....after dinner make sure to check out the eclectic little store across the street....The Hobbit Hole.

Visited August 2013