“Incredible Experience!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Boat Tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Cantrell Ultimate Rafting provides outdoor adventure vacations and whitewater rafting on the New River Gorge and Gauley Rivers of West Virginia. Cabins, hot tubs, camping, R.V. sites, live entertainment and an onsite pub & grill. Experience mild to wild water adventures, ziplining, horseback riding adventures, fishing expeditions and much more! Located within minutes from the famous New River Gorge Bridge and the historic village of Fayetteville.
San Luis Obispo, California
“Incredible Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

The whole experience was amazing, starting with the phone call to make reservations and speaking with Nancy. Went towards the end of July and the weather was great. Took the full day tour on the lower new river. I have never been rafting and this experience has made me a fan. The Cantrell family was great. The guides on the two rafts for the full day trip were amazing: Stacy and Randy. The trainee on my raft was great as well: Josh. I can't recommend this company enough.

Baltimore, Maryland, United States
5 attraction reviews
“Great paddling!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

We went for the full day Lower New river trip and had a terrific time. I like that Cantrell is a smaller company as we were going down the river with just one other boat. Guides were super competent and made sure that everybody was having a good time. Late July water was not terribly high, but we had a wonderful time. Highly recommend!

Saint Clairsville, Ohio
3 attraction reviews
“Cantrell's Ultimate Rafting gives the best experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

If what you are looking for out of your white-water rafting trip is to be treated like family and have a personalized experience with the most experienced guides in the area, then definitely go to Cantrell's Ultimate Rafting. From the first phone call, Nancy will have you feeling like family and you will be on a first name basis with her. Cantrell's is a smaller family-owned operation so they are very attentive to each person. Personally, I would rather give my hard-earned money to a family-owned company than a corporation any day. Oh, and you can trust that you are going to get the guides with the most experience. You WANT that. Our guide Adam had over 20 years experience and had actually written a letter to the state of West Virginia at 16 to be able to guide before he was 18 because he had been raised on the river and piloting his own boats since he was 8 years old. So our party of 6 mostly first-timers felt very confident in his ability to keep us safe. We did the half day trip on the lower New River and it was perfect for us with rapids enough to give us a nice adrenaline rush but not scare us to death. My boyfriend and I loved it so much that we are going again this weekend and also made reservations for Bridge Day with Cantrell's.
We stayed in the Sunset Cabin on the hill which was a steal at the price of $250 a night. It was more like a fully furnished house than a cabin and it was very private. The only drawback (or bonus depending on who you are) was that the WIFI didn't reach up the hill. That was just fine for my boyfriend and I, but the 18 year olds were not separated from their devices as easily. So we played board games and sat around a fire. Awesome.
As any vacation is not complete without some kind of problem to solve, the starter went out of my boyfriends car while we were there. Nancy let us stay in the cabin past check-out until we were able to get if fixed right up the road by a great mechanic named Cecil on her recommendation. Nancy was super helpful to us during this crisis. We were able to get it towed for a mere $55 from another local guy she recommended. Cecil had it fixed in under 2 hours and we were on our way. .
Thank you to the entire Cantrell's staff for making our trip the very best it could be.

Lynchburg, Virginia
“Best Guides on the River!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Cantrell offers amazing adventures AND the most seasoned guides on the river. Skip the big tour companies who hire kids that only work for the summer, and go with the pros who really understand rafting. Our guide (Stacy) grew up on the New River and has served as a guide for over 20 years. Everyone in our boat had an amazing adventure AND felt very safe throughout the entire day. We rafted the Lower New River and had a blast. Good whitewater experience, lots of thrills, and nobody got dumped in the water. We'll be back for more very soon!

Raleigh, North Carolina
8 attraction reviews
“Cantrell Puts the Ultimate in Rafting!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

I was convinced by a friend to try something new and do their day long Lower New River rafting trip. So we geared up and made the trek to West Virginia. From the hospitality of the staff/management, knowledge of the guides, and just overall friendly and accommodating vibe we experienced throughout our weekend stay, I must say I was quite impressed. We stayed in the Country Cabins, which can sleep 8-9 people, and does have a restroom, refrigerator, fire pit, and bonus, a hot tub on the deck.

The morning of the day trip we had a tasty breakfast and set out via bus to the river. I will say, Cantrell is really big on safety, which is what you want when you're flying down a river in a raft. So be prepared to be geared up with your helmet, life jacket, and paddle. They give you plenty of instruction on the way to the river as well as on the river to ensure that you know what to do. (a huge plus for first timers!!)

After a gorgeous day on the river I had my first experience with western style BBQ (and being an Eastern NC gal) was not disappointed. I love the feeling of family you get with Cantrell, and as an added plus it's close to town. They have a small pub on-site, which is awesome for entertainment if you're camping either via tent or cabin, you're only a walk away from tasty libations and music.

Check it out! You wont be disappointed. :)