“Even if you're afraid of heights !!!” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Tours, Bridges
Attraction Details
Savannah, GA
63 attraction reviews
“Even if you're afraid of heights !!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Wow, this was cool. What a great experience, what a great view. I am nerous about heights, and I had to talk my wife into this because she is afraid of heights. We both loved it. Maybe it's the railings, or maybe it's the harness and safety lines, or maybe it's just the great views, but we both did fine, even when the catwalk shakes when big trucks go over.
Understand that the walk is on the maintenance catwalk directly under the traffic surface of the bridge. This is the bridge they close once a year so they can base jump off. Way Up There.
It's a little expensive, but it's one of those "great to say I did it" experiences. Joel, our guide, was very nice (and informative). He allowed us to take our time (a couple of hours in all) and take a lot of pictures. He even took pictures of us with our camera. And considering all the safety equipment they had to install, and permits they had to get, I can understanding the price.
I'm sure the weather would have a lot to do with how much you enjoy this. We went on a beuatiful day with temps in the 80s and it was great.

Visited August 2012

Columbus, OH
3 attraction reviews
“Not afraid of heights!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I took my kids to this adventure, and only one, who was very afraid of heights balked. She "manned up" and actually ended up enjoying it. Our guide was informative, and fun, even though he was only 16 years old, he was mature and caring. He told us lots of facts and genuinely seemed to enjoy his job. I would definitely go again, but probably my daughter probably wouldn't. (haha)

Visited August 2012
Chattanooga, Tennessee
11 attraction reviews
“Whew! That was awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Although this was a pricey adventure ($69), it was really worth it! The catwalk above the New River (and below the New River Gorge Bridge) was exhilarating! Being above the river and watching the rafters below, feeling the wind blowing through the rafters of the bridge, and then the storm coming through at the same time...WOW! The views are really spectacular! HIGHLY recommend this if you can afford it!

Visited July 2012
millsboro,de 19966
4 attraction reviews
“cat walk tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

great experience very high great pictures something every one should do as long as you don't have a fear of heights (900 ft high)

Visited June 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
6 attraction reviews
“Amazing adventure previously only possible in video games.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

Our experience with Bridgewalk, Fayetteville was nothing short of amazing. The views from the underside of this awesome bridge are simply breathtaking.

The tour is fully supported by knowledgable and friendly guides. You begin with a short (less than 90 seconds, I'd guess) to the bridge, where you walk to a small clearing where you are given a brief history of the bridge, and the opportunity to take photos.

The walk down to the bridge's entrance is a bit steep, but perfectly manageable for most.

Once on the bridge, your safety harness is hooked up to a guidewire that has been bolted at intervals all along the length of the bridge. I found the mechanism fascinating, as it rolls through the connection points without needing to be unhooked.

I never really experienced vertigo while walking on the catwalk, but you do get a good idea of how high you are, and if you have a fear of heights, this tour may not be for you.

After the tour, a bus awaits to take you back to your car...about 10 minutes.

All in all, this is a great tour. Although the price was a bit steep, after learning how much time effort and money went into the safety equipment, as well as training of the guides, etc....I felt that I got a great tour for a fair price. Would highly recommend.

One side note...and this is what bumped my review from 4 to 5 stars...The guides take your pictures all along the trip using a digital SLR, and at the end, when you're expecting a sales pitch milking you for another 20 bucks, you learn that the CD of pics is free, and they'll mail it to your house after you've gone. Furthering my impression of this tour, when my pics didn't show up in the mail as expected, I received a personal (unprompted) phone call from the owner, apologizing for the delay. Very very good customer service. Well done.

Visited June 2012