“Don't expect a Business Travelers facility” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Fairmont
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Don't expect a Business Travelers facility”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

This is not your usual Clarion that caters to the business profession. It was comfortable, but far from clean. Dirty steps and hallways from the work boots of the crews staying there (no offense to you hard workers). It just needs more of a staff to keep up with the needs.

While I did not eat there, the food in the restaurant was complimented by those who did.

They were very accommodating with my need to have FedEx pick up a shipping case. They were also very responsible in keeping an item that forgot and was able to return a few weeks later to retrieve.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
JR B, General Manager at Clarion Inn, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
I want to thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay with us. I am glad to read about the positive experience you had with our facility. We have been able to scheduled more staff to assist with cleaning the entrance and public areas of the hotel. We take pride in the cleanliness and service of our staff and hotel and we want each of our guests to have an outstanding and comfortable stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Travelers Rest, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

The Clarion in Fairmont has been around for a while, but offers what one wants in an inexpensive stay: a clean room, a comfortable bed, and a filling breakfast. The motel is convenient to the highway (I-77) near Morgantown. There are touches of a better grade motel (real glasses and cups rather than styrofoam) in a setting that is typical of a moderate on-the-highway motel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate the feedback and use these reviews as ways to improve the service and amenities we offer. I'm very happy to see you had a great experience while staying with us. Our full service breakfast has made a big impact with our guests and I'm sure will continue to stay that way.
Ravenswood, West Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

After making reservations several months in advance for a room with two double beds upon arrival we were given a room with one bed and a sofa sleeper. It was late and with no other options we had to accept the room. We had other future bookings after West Virginia University football games and were assured our room would have two beds the next time. Upon arrival the next scheduled stay we had the same issue. Even though we were going to be charged for the room we opted to leave and cancel all future reservations. The management is irresponsible and not responsive to customers. We plan on contacting the regional manager. Customer beware!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
I wanted to apologize for the inability to honor your room request. We did refund the amount charged since we were unable to keep our promise to you and your guests. I truly apologize for not being able keep our promise and only hope you give us another chance in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Fairmont hotels

Frederick, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I was surprised at the poor condition of the room I stayed in, room 219. One of the bedside lamps didn't work. The one on the side I wanted to use. The night stand had a cup ring stain on it. I swiped it with a moist finger and the stain smudged. That means no one even tried to clean it. There was a dead bug in the picture that was at the head of the bed. I worried the bug would fall off and onto my head so I got a wash cloth to remove the bug. it turned out the bug was between the print and the glass. Gross!! The arms of the chair had multiple stains on it. The toilet was stained on the inside and the wall paper was peeling off. It was incredibly disgusting and I couldn't believe they were charging me $150 for this room. Way overpriced!! I did sleep in the room but only because it was 2:00 in the morning when I checked in and I was leaving at 6am. I only stayed there because I was too tired to continue driving. I contacted the company and was told someone from the hotel would call me within 72 hrs. A week later I received a call from the corporate office checking to see if I'd received a call from the hotel manager yet. I said no and caller apologized and offered to give me a $100 gift certificate towards my next stay. I definitely will never be staying there again.

Room Tip: try a different hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
JR B, General Manager at Clarion Inn, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
I wanted to take the time to write a review of your recent experience at our hotel. I would also like to apologize for the cleanliness issues you witnessed during your time with us. I am extremely disappointed that we did not deliver on our promise to all of our guests, which is to offer top-notch guest service and cleanliness. I assure you, we have addressed these items with each member of our management team and will continue to do a better job. I also want to apologize that no one from the hotel was in contact with you regarding these issues.
Northumberland, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

The Clarion at Fairmont is clean and comfortable. The room is very nice and the beds are fine (although I much prefer a queen to a double.) The breakfast was very good (hot things, not just waffles, also eggs and bacon, etc.) seating is limited, tho, as in most hotel breakfast rooms, and the poor lady bussing the tables seemed to be cooking the food as well. The pool is lovely, nestled next to a wooded area, and was very clean. A few complaints- when you walk into the room, there's a slight chemical smell - doesn't smell like cleaner - not sure what it is. Could be the old air conditioner, which is still the kind with big buttons that go CHUNK when you push them - that is one thing in the room that I'd say could use an upgrade. Also, there's lights in the Parking lot, but both nights we came in they were not on, which made it kind of creepy coming in. It was DARK. Oh- also, this is not a complaint, but the GPS didn't know exactly where the Inn was, and sent us the wrong way. If you follow the sign from the highway you'll be fine. I would stay again.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the mountain are quieter.
Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Cleveland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Check in went flawless, plenty of parking, staff was "cool", room was good, nothing to complain about, yaeh, sure, it is an older hotel, but it still "has it", the only thing I saw is that the hallways were a little dirty, but there were many construction workers there and they can drag a little dirt in there with them, no problems, breakfast was really good, enjoyed the atmosphere there. All in all it was a darn good experience and I WILL go back, so should you................

Room Tip: get a room on the backside
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Rothenburg, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

This is a very old hotel in dire need of a total renovation. Smelly, dirty, dark interior. The rooms have a very foul odor and the bathrooms are small and oddly shaped, making it difficult to close the door. No elevator. Most of the hotels in this area are catering to out of town construction workers and they congregate outside the front door to smoke and drink beer; not very appealing. Breakfast is below standard. However, the front desk staff & housekeeping are exceptional...very friendly & helpful. I would not stay here again nor recommend this place............................................................

Stayed July 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fairmont
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fairmont
The Inn at Pettyjohn
The Inn at Pettyjohn
#5 of 10 in Fairmont
4.0 of 5 stars 12 reviews

Been to Clarion Inn? Share your experiences!