“Visit 12 - 15 March 12” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Fairmont
North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Visit 12 - 15 March 12”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

I have been staying at this hotel for over 17 years, both as a Holiday Inn and then, as a Clarion. My frequency of stay is every other week for three (3) nights.

I stay at other hotels when I am in other areas. I know the difference between a well run hotel and a hotel that is not well run.

At the Clarion, Fairmont, WV I have great admiration for the staff that I encounter. I am continually impressed by Amy and Leah (Bar), Amy and Leah (Restaurant) and don't let me forget Amy and Leah (Room Service). Yes, when they are working, they are working all three of these services simultaneously. As a result, service in these areas is generally quite poor. I want to emphasize that the quality of service is not due to the extraordinary efforts I routinely see these ladies put forth. It is a result of inadequate staffing of the hotel.

Management does seem to try to help lighten the load for these ladies. They do so by not stocking the bar on a regular basis. It is common to come into the bar and find the the draft beer empty (sometimes all draft beers), common canned/bottled beers out of stock, wine out of stock and common call drinks out of stock.

The personnel at the front desk are courteous, helpful and genuinely caring. They are also knowledgeable and professional. These folks include, but are not necessarily limited to, Robin, Carmen, Robbie and Cindy.

The kitchen staff I have contact with (Olin, Paul and a wonderful older woman) routinely do great credit to a somewhat boring menu that I don't believe has changed in at least ten years.

Whether the above described are the result of management or ownership is not really important. What is important is service to guests does not seem a high priority.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Mts of western NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

We just needed a quick stopover after purchasing a car. This Clarion was in a nice location on top of a hill and appeared rather safe overall. The desk clerk advised us there have not been any problems. He accepted our $65 coupon which was a very good deal for this area along the interstate. Our 2nd floor room was typical and 'average to good' with a queen bed. The a/c was OK and the room mostly clean. The TV worked fine and HBO was offered. Unfortunately the walls were extremely thin and we heard numerous alarms going off in the early morning hours. Our toilet in this room had a slow leak and it woke us up often (even with the door closed) when it had to fill up. It really reverberated through the wall. Would we stay here again? Possibly in a pinch, especially at that price, We do want to mention an excellent room service experience. It was quite late so we ordered a Cobb salad to split. It was just huge with many quality items and it was just a great meal to enjoy at a reasonable price.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Martinsburg, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

After my third stay in the last month, it is time to say what a nice experience it is to be at the Clarion in Fairmont. Ronnie S., front office manager, ensures that my room is ready and immaculate upon my arrival and greets me immediately. He is the friendliest and most professional manager I have encountered. Michelle, Robin, and Amy are exceptional also. I travel and stay in hotels on a weekly basis and I always feel comfortable when I am staying at the Clarion. I open the door to my room and it feels like I am home, except that someone else cleans and cooks! Whenever I am in the Fairmont area, there is NO reason to stay elsewhere. (The bed is just as good as my own and makes for a great night's sleep.)

Dayton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

The staff make me feel at home. I travel 40 + weeks a year, and they really are great people. Office manager Ronnie Shuman is one of the nicest and accomodating managers I have ever had a chance to meet. His staff greet me by name, are super reponsive, and very professional.

Room Tip: ground floors are easier to access
Akron, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

What a great place to stay. Ronnie S. is one of the nicest and is most accommodating manager's of any hotel I've stayed at. I feel very "at home" when staying here. I would recommend this place to anyone traveling business or pleasure. Looking forward to staying here again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Crystal River, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

Thank you Brandy (housekeeping) During our travels from Florida. appreciate Brandy kindness and information. Only the locals know the best restaurants, and supermarkets in the area. Thank you for your time and kindness.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Morgantown, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

Thank you for the opportunity to stay in such a wonderful hotel and for the wonderful housekeeper we had her name was Brandy thanks again Brandy for everything!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms done by Brandy
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Clarion Inn? Share your experiences!