“Not a part of the hospitality industry” 2 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
Blackwater Falls State Park Lodge
Blackwater Falls State Park, Davis, WV 26260   |
StPeteFla
“Not a part of the hospitality industry”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

On a late March visit, when 8 inches of snow covered the surrounding mountains and turned the world into a magical snowglobe, this place remained resolutely below average.

On checking in, there was no 'welcome' or attitude of hospitality. No positive response to requests for information on area activities, but a matter-of-fact explanation that the winter recreation facility had closed, that there was no skiing, sledding or snowshoeing, and that if that's what we were there for, then we'd "come to the wrong place." Even minor research turned up a couple of snow options - White Grass being perhaps paramount. But the mindset of "no, you can't" seemed strong throughout the staff here.

The hot tub and heated indoor pool room seem new, yet the hot tub jets were capped, fitted with glued in place pvc caps, so as to never work again. Numerous signs on the doors reiterated that a desire to roll in the snow would disqualify one from re-entering the pool, and a constant country music soundtrack was offered for the satisfaction of the employee who was sitting in the exercise room adjacent, watching reality television. He was gracious when asked to turn off the music, but is this any way to run a hotel?

The building was empty, or nearly so. Clearly off season, yet no paint, plaster or rehab was occurring in a building that greatly needs maintenance. The ceiling in the upstairs hallway shows nearly a score of poorly patched water damage areas - every six feet seemed to reveal a different unpainted, uncared for area of damage - none of which were fresh.

The tails, the scenery, the location is gorgeous. But don't come for the lodge, the hospitality or a 'welcome'. It was sad and made me want to leave, or to question whether this shouldn't be a public/private partnership, which would allow a commercial, for-profit company to make some decisions and motivate(or replace) a clearly unmotivated staff of presumably WV state employees.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

118 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I first went to Blackwater Falls in 1964 at the tender age of 2!!! I have returned to this park many many times in the past 48 years, first with my immediate family, then later with my wife and daughter!! As one might imagine this place holds a very special place in my heart and I have so many great tales of adventures had there with my family. I remember being there in 1968 at easter and having it snow friday and saturday making it an adventure we would always remember. Then there were the early morning walks with my late grandfather and seeing deer near our cabin and helping him build a warm fire while he brewed a fresh pot of coffee!! Fast forward and I recently took my mom and dad for a surprise 1 night stay in a cabin. My dad had an appointment at WVU hospital for a follow up to a serious health issue, so I decided to surprise him with a trip to the "cabins". The weather was less than cooperative as it poured down the rain as we drove from Morgantown to Davis and the "falls". Upon arrival, I was so pleased to see that our 4 person cabin (cabin 1) was immaculately clean and looked just the way I remembered it on our previous visits. It was cold and foggy as I gathered the firewood from the storage shed and carried it inside and soon I had a roaring fire heating the main room as my mom heated the soup she had brought with her and my kerosene lanterns were lit and placed on the mantle!! If you want a 5 star place then this is not for you but if you want a clean lovely cabin in the woods then this is the place for you. The beds were comfortable, the bathroom very nice if basic, and the kitchen had all we needed. We sat by the warm fire late into the night before the need to sleep called us to our beds!!! Sadly all too quick our one night visit was over but will not be forgotten any time soon!! The memories of my late relatives and all the wonderful fun we had in this park over the years will go with us all the days of our lives. Make some memories for your family!! No TV , no telephone, just a clean well equipped cabin in the woods. I am proud to be from WV and even prouder to recommend a visit to this gem of my great state!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I stayed in the lodge two nights in March 2013 and found that with the room heater off, the room was too hot for sleeping (about 70F all night long). After spending the first half of the night trying and failing to fall asleep, I started experimenting. First try: open the two windows a crack. This barely made a difference. Second try: turn on air conditioner to low (does anyone else think it's crazy that guests would need to turn on air conditioners to make their rooms comfortable when there is 2 feet of snow outside and the outdoor temperatures are below freezing?) Noisy, and still too hot. Aha! There's a baseboard heater that's been on the entire time! Third try: cover the baseboard heater with my bedspread and turn the AC to hi and "coldest" setting. This was very loud, but it cooled the room enough that I caught an hour or two of sleep.

After this first night, the worst sleep I've experienced in the past year (similar for my roommate), I examined the heating and cooling system in the room more carefully and came to the conclusion that the baseboard heater is always on (on cold days, anyway) and it is centrally controlled, and as far as I could tell the lodge managers had the building's thermostat set to 70F, day and night. So if you like to sleep in cooler air than that, in the winter, as I do, it is up to you to actively cool your room.

The second night I was desperate for sleep, so I stuffed the bedspread in the full length of the slot above the baseboard heater to minimize air circulation from it, stuffed a towel under the door to block 70F hallway air from entering our room, and opened the (screened) windows all the way and opened the curtains fully so they didn't block air circulation from the windows. This worked! We got the room temperature down to 60F or so during the night, and got some much-needed sleep!

If you like your room toasty on winter nights, this might be just the place for you, but if you like your room cool, be prepared to do some extra work.

Blackwater Canyon State Park and Canaan Valley are a very nice area. I recommend: the short walk to Blackwater Falls. Cross country skiing at White Grass Cross Country Ski Center. Live music at The Purple Fiddle in nearby Thomas. XC skiing (winter) or biking (summer or fall) on the Blackwater Canyon Trail downstream from Thomas.

If the managers would set the night-time thermostat on the central heating down from 70F to 55F at night, say, I'd give this lodge a rating of 4/5, not 2/5.

Room Tip: Get a room where you'd be comfortable opening the windows.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Laurel, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

Pros:

Beautiful locale, Wonderful common fireplace and game room area, Close to trailheads, No need to travel for breakfast or dinner (not included), Decent price, Scenic view, Friendly staff

Cons:
Two-night minimum for much of the year, Low-tech (could not email me my reservations), Paper-thin walls (noisy family next door)

The pros outweigh the cons for my rating of four stars.

Stayed October 2012
New Freedom, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Each year we gather as a family and escape to Blackwater Falls for a winter getaway. Unfortunately, this year the weather did not cooperate (as it was over 60 degrees), but that did not stop us for enjoying the beautiful weather and beautiful location. Blackwater is removed and a little off the beaten path which is completely what makes it so special. The pines and fir trees with the snow is breathtaking -- the peace and tranquilty is unmistakable -- no hustle and bustle here. We rented a four bedroom cabin -- the rustic ones. Yes, these cabins have been around a little while (as has the lodge) but you would never know it. Everything is in working order, the place is spotless (and I am hard to please), the fireplace is ready to go (with lots of firewood in a shelter), the trash is picked up everyday! And, on top of all that -- the place is incredibly spacious with lots of sleeping and sitting areas for our family of 8. So, whether our family members wanted to play games at the dining table, relax in a reading chair or sit with their feet propped up near the fireplace, there was plenty of options. And, one of the most beautiful parts -- everything is provided -- no need to bring your own linens or towels or paper products -- they are provided with the rental! During our stay, we hiked a number of the trails which were somewhat sloppy because of the snow melt, but it just made for a little more of a challenge. And, lest we forget, there are deer everywhere -- you don't need to go far (just out the front or back door) to get a glimpse of one. Blackwater Falls State Park is a place my husband and I have been going for about 25 years and we are so delighted that we can share this very special place with our children and, now, our grandchildren. Thanks to the staff for making our stay so special!

Room Tip: If you're staying for a couple of days, choose one of their rustic cabins. You will not be disap...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Suffolk, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

My husband and I spent the past weekend here and had a great weekend. If you are looking for the Hilton this is not for you. The rooms were simple, very clean and worked fine for us. We were there to hike and explore and the location was perfect. Food in the dining room was very good, staff was very helpful and pleasant. Our only suggestion would be for more pillows on the bed. We plan to stay here again in the spring, the deer standing at the door when pulling up to check in was an added bonus!

• Stayed January 2013
Barboursville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Every year for my Birthday I try to find a state park thats having a new years celebration. I love going to state parks becaue they are so relaxing. When we arrived the area was covered with a foot or more of snow. When checking in the front desk person (Allen) was very attentive and explained the New Years Eve celebration. The room was very clean. Dinner at the restaurant was excellent and the New Years Eve Celebration was alot of fun. Its a very nice family enviroment! I will attend again next year.

Room Tip: We stayed in a king room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Blackwater Falls State Park Lodge? Share your experiences!