“Room oppressively hot on winter nights” 2 of 5 stars

You added Blackwater Falls State Park Lodge to your Saves list
Blackwater Falls State Park Lodge
Blackwater Falls State Park, Davis, WV 26260   |
Pittsburgh, PA
“Room oppressively hot on winter nights”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I stayed in the lodge two nights in March 2013 and found that with the room heater off, the room was too hot for sleeping (about 70F all night long). After spending the first half of the night trying and failing to fall asleep, I started experimenting. First try: open the two windows a crack. This barely made a difference. Second try: turn on air conditioner to low (does anyone else think it's crazy that guests would need to turn on air conditioners to make their rooms comfortable when there is 2 feet of snow outside and the outdoor temperatures are below freezing?) Noisy, and still too hot. Aha! There's a baseboard heater that's been on the entire time! Third try: cover the baseboard heater with my bedspread and turn the AC to hi and "coldest" setting. This was very loud, but it cooled the room enough that I caught an hour or two of sleep.

After this first night, the worst sleep I've experienced in the past year (similar for my roommate), I examined the heating and cooling system in the room more carefully and came to the conclusion that the baseboard heater is always on (on cold days, anyway) and it is centrally controlled, and as far as I could tell the lodge managers had the building's thermostat set to 70F, day and night. So if you like to sleep in cooler air than that, in the winter, as I do, it is up to you to actively cool your room.

The second night I was desperate for sleep, so I stuffed the bedspread in the full length of the slot above the baseboard heater to minimize air circulation from it, stuffed a towel under the door to block 70F hallway air from entering our room, and opened the (screened) windows all the way and opened the curtains fully so they didn't block air circulation from the windows. This worked! We got the room temperature down to 60F or so during the night, and got some much-needed sleep!

If you like your room toasty on winter nights, this might be just the place for you, but if you like your room cool, be prepared to do some extra work.

Blackwater Canyon State Park and Canaan Valley are a very nice area. I recommend: the short walk to Blackwater Falls. Cross country skiing at White Grass Cross Country Ski Center. Live music at The Purple Fiddle in nearby Thomas. XC skiing (winter) or biking (summer or fall) on the Blackwater Canyon Trail downstream from Thomas.

If the managers would set the night-time thermostat on the central heating down from 70F to 55F at night, say, I'd give this lodge a rating of 4/5, not 2/5.

Room Tip: Get a room where you'd be comfortable opening the windows.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Laurel, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

Pros:

Beautiful locale, Wonderful common fireplace and game room area, Close to trailheads, No need to travel for breakfast or dinner (not included), Decent price, Scenic view, Friendly staff

Cons:
Two-night minimum for much of the year, Low-tech (could not email me my reservations), Paper-thin walls (noisy family next door)

The pros outweigh the cons for my rating of four stars.

Stayed October 2012
New Freedom, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Each year we gather as a family and escape to Blackwater Falls for a winter getaway. Unfortunately, this year the weather did not cooperate (as it was over 60 degrees), but that did not stop us for enjoying the beautiful weather and beautiful location. Blackwater is removed and a little off the beaten path which is completely what makes it so special. The pines and fir trees with the snow is breathtaking -- the peace and tranquilty is unmistakable -- no hustle and bustle here. We rented a four bedroom cabin -- the rustic ones. Yes, these cabins have been around a little while (as has the lodge) but you would never know it. Everything is in working order, the place is spotless (and I am hard to please), the fireplace is ready to go (with lots of firewood in a shelter), the trash is picked up everyday! And, on top of all that -- the place is incredibly spacious with lots of sleeping and sitting areas for our family of 8. So, whether our family members wanted to play games at the dining table, relax in a reading chair or sit with their feet propped up near the fireplace, there was plenty of options. And, one of the most beautiful parts -- everything is provided -- no need to bring your own linens or towels or paper products -- they are provided with the rental! During our stay, we hiked a number of the trails which were somewhat sloppy because of the snow melt, but it just made for a little more of a challenge. And, lest we forget, there are deer everywhere -- you don't need to go far (just out the front or back door) to get a glimpse of one. Blackwater Falls State Park is a place my husband and I have been going for about 25 years and we are so delighted that we can share this very special place with our children and, now, our grandchildren. Thanks to the staff for making our stay so special!

Room Tip: If you're staying for a couple of days, choose one of their rustic cabins. You will not be disap...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Suffolk, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

My husband and I spent the past weekend here and had a great weekend. If you are looking for the Hilton this is not for you. The rooms were simple, very clean and worked fine for us. We were there to hike and explore and the location was perfect. Food in the dining room was very good, staff was very helpful and pleasant. Our only suggestion would be for more pillows on the bed. We plan to stay here again in the spring, the deer standing at the door when pulling up to check in was an added bonus!

• Stayed January 2013
Barboursville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Every year for my Birthday I try to find a state park thats having a new years celebration. I love going to state parks becaue they are so relaxing. When we arrived the area was covered with a foot or more of snow. When checking in the front desk person (Allen) was very attentive and explained the New Years Eve celebration. The room was very clean. Dinner at the restaurant was excellent and the New Years Eve Celebration was alot of fun. Its a very nice family enviroment! I will attend again next year.

Room Tip: We stayed in a king room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Boonsboro, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Read the one bad review and have to say I strongly disagree. Yes the place is old, but that is half it's charm....it's like a step back in time. My husband and I really enjoyed the 1950's look of the lodge. The lodge as well as the rooms are very clean. Much cleaner then most commercial hotels. As for the staff we had chatted with quite a few of them. All are very kind. So much so that we asked for a comment card to mail in to the state park dept. Enjoyed hearing bear stories from the head chef etc. Lookng forward to re visiting this lodge again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Akron, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Three of the most important factors in accommodations for me are cleanliness, lack of odor and lack of noise. This state lodge has all three characteristics with a slight caveat - "slammers" - that's what we call hotel patrons who let their doors close with the loudest possible noise. But even the slammers couldn’t ruin our stay.

As all the other reviewers have noted- the rooms are simple and clean. Our room "overlooked" the roof with barely a view of the parking lot, but we were in our room only when it was dark out. If a nice view from your room is important, try to book the canyon side of the lodge. As other reviewers have said - you may not actually see the canyon but you would be able to see trees, wildlife, green grass, etc...

The main room in the lodge is cozy - the fire is always going, there are puzzles sitting out, free coffee when the restaurant is closed. I felt the TV in the main room was superfluous but it allowed for a gathering of football fans on a Saturday afternoon. A gentleman was playing acoustic guitar/singing around the fireplace one night - it was great ambiance all around. Attached to the main room is nice porch with a bank of windows on one side.

The restaurant was like home-cooked fare. We dined there for breakfast once and it was reasonably priced. We ate at various restaurants in the towns of Davis and Thomas for the remainder of our meals. This is not a slight against the lodge restaurant - we just wanted to explore. The wait staff is friendly and helpful.

We did not use the pool or the game room.

As for the outside of the lodge - the view is a breathtaking look over the canyon. There are benches and lots of green area. We haven't seen this many stars since a visit out west. The Milky Way was evident as well.

The surrounding area is stunning. We think the most expansive view is from Lindy Point. This is a must-see and it's only a less than 1/2 mile hike on an easy trail to get there. Another great overlook is at Pendleton Point.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Blackwater Falls State Park Lodge? Share your experiences!