“Hotel is nice but service is lacking” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 9 things to do in Davis
Activities: Cross-country skiing, Skiing
“Hotel is nice but service is lacking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

Received 4 stars for the fact that we did visit another resort and some other hotels during our stay. This one has been updated with a nice large lodge type atmosphere in the lobby.
Overall, a very pleasant stay over the President's weekend. Rooms are nice with everything you need. Would be nice to have a safe in the room. However, it felt like all the staff were new to the job. I called multiple times since our October reservation asking for a suite...not once was I told of anything but a single room. My aunt arrives and has a joint room with another couple and a living room in the middle. That would have been great to know since my mom was with us and on another floor...not to mention the kids having a place to play when they woke up at 6am. There was never any information given voluntarily about to ski resort, restaurants that were close by, or other attractions. Restaurant staff were not eager to share information about ordering from the menu instead of just a buffet at breakfast, cost of the meal and that it comes with a free drink, and refusing to let us pull 2 tables together for my aunt, uncle, mom, and my family.
Ski lodge, cross country skiing, and snow tube park were within a mile of the resort (really just a hotel) and a shuttle to get you there or you can drive. Better prices if you book your rental and lift ticket online. Also, if staying for multiple days, there is a rental shop close by that is less expensive.

Alexandria, Virginia
“Nice little ski resort, poor customer service at the pub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Had a nice ski weekend at Canaan Valley. There weren't tons of trails, but what they had was very groomed and fun to ski. Got a great price for the weekend as well. The customer service at the pub, Quenchers, was terrible, however. We waited 30 minutes to be helped, and even went to the bar to ask about service. We were told to wait at our table. We ended up leaving and eating at the cafeteria where the service was excellent. It was a very quiet weekend and there was no reason to have to wait for service.

Would return to ski, but won't be visiting the pub.

Visited February 2014
Marietta, OH
“Gotta Try This Place Again - Wow (good!)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

Brand new lodge, all new rooms, new decor, spacious rooms, high ceilings, flat screens - nothing, I mean nothing like the old! Received better service and more smiles from staff than I received during recent visits to the Greenbrier and The Homestead - these folks go out of there way for you! Add in ice skating rink, quick bus ride from new tube park + decent skiing with NO lines (on Saturday 2/1, no lines at Canaan - 20 minute line at Timberline), makes for nice little weekend!

Visited February 2014
Locust Grove, Virginia
6 attraction reviews
“Love coming back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

I've been skiing here 3 times and enjoy it thoroughly every time! The staff is kind, and the prices are competitive! The only thing I dislike is the walk up the hill to get to the lifts, BUT I figured out a way around that... ski down the bunny slope, then get on the lift to go up to the other slopes on the far right side! You'l see what I'm talking about when you get there :)

Visited January 2014
Simonshaven
“Great customer service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

We were pleasantly surprised with our visit. Parking was plentiful and everything was signposted to help us navigate. After purchasing our day passes and ski rentals we were directed to the appropriate place where we were very courteously helped. The peroneel were very friendly. My daughters snowboard was waxed free of charge. The amenities were clean and spacious. The only downside was the constant sound of the snow machines.

Visited January 2014

Been to Canaan Valley Resort? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Canaan Valley Resort, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.