“Almost Heaven: WV” 5 of 5 stars

375 attraction reviews
2,618 helpful votes 2,618 helpful votes
“Almost Heaven: WV”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

Canaan Valley Resort is a well established and maintained year round resort.
Canaan Valley Resort offers large hotel type rooms as well as cabins.
We prefer the Resort's ski area. Canaan Valley Resort offers dining at several different levels.
The cabins offer full kitchens and supplies are nearby.

Any day of skiing is better than no day of skiing.
This is a very family centered resort, and the "party folks" tend to rent vacation homes away from civilization. It does not get any better than this.

4 attraction reviews
“A Down-Home Feeling.....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

I love downhill snow skiing. I don't go that much, once or twice a year if I can fit it in. I usually go to Seven Springs PA on the president's day weekend. This year I wanted to try a different place. Our Cub Scout families went to Canaan Valley resort.
It is not Seven Springs. It is not as big, not as crowded, not as expensive, not as fancy, not as many choices overall. Still I felt at home.
I rented my equipment. I was suprised by the boot ladies. They were very nice and helpful. There are no boot ladies at Seven Springs.
There are two main chairlifts. They are OK. One was running, the other waiting for the crowd. Most of the mountain was closed because they have not been making snow or getting snow since this winter has been so warm.
We stayed at the resort. My cell service was spotty. The beds warm and comfortable, plenty of hot water, and the food was decent. My 10 year old son thought the scrambled eggs at breakfast might be powdered but I liked them. I have had bad powdered eggs before so I know what they taste like. So these eggs, even if they were powdered, were good.
The weather was brutal. I cannot fault the resort for that. I couldn't see. I was cold. The wind was blowing me uphill. My ski buddy fell and twisted his knee. He was out. Still we had fun.
The DRIVE: If you are heading from DC take 66 west to 81 south then in about 5 miles take 55 West.
Get off in Moorefield and head to the McDonalds. You will see signs for 55 West. Get on it and stay on it until you get to Harman WV. Pick up 32 and head straight for the resort.
The entrance to CV Resort is unforgettable. You wander along the park road in utter darkness/wilderness for more than a mile, then you will eventually see the lights of the resort.
The resort is expanding, more guest rooms I think.
Getting to the ski area: If someone tells you "it's across the street", don't even think about walking. It IS across the street, but you should take the shuttle, or if you are in a hurry or just a control freak drive yourself.
The Ski School: I enrolled my son in the 8-15 year old program. He likes meeting new kids his age, and the instructors know when to go in for hot chocolate. He had fun.

Like I said, a Down-Home feeling. I will go back to Canaan Valley!

Greenville, South Carolina
“Decent Ski resort”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

Went skiing with friends. This is a good slope for beginners/intermediate level skiers. We were there mid-week, so they only had those level slopes open. Since we travelled 8 hours to be there, it would have been nice to have at least one black open (they were snowmaking and grooming one, but never opened it...).

Also do not like the climb to get to the lift...rather awkward to carry skiis up a hill and walk in ski boots through snow. The resort was good for our group, as we had some inexperienced skiers with us. It was nice that we had the resort basically to ourselves, too.

Capon Bridge, West Virginia
6 attraction reviews
“Pet deer and amazing fall colors”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

While staying here I had the opportunity to feed deer by hand, also enjoyed a romantic getaway in the fall that was amazing.

DC Suburb
13 attraction reviews
“Run down tired resort”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

Surprised they we're running groomers during the ski day even on slopes that were open. Saw 4 wheelers all over the place and very close to skiers. As we are trying to teach our 2 kids to ski, it was scary! We will not return.

Visited January 2012

Been to Canaan Valley Resort? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Canaan Valley Resort, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.