“Pleasant stay and great value” 4 of 5 stars

Canaan Valley Resort
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   230 Main Lodge Road, HC 70 Box 330, Davis, WV 26260   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Davis
DC
“Pleasant stay and great value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2010

I read many of the recent reviews and was a bit concerned about so much negativity, but my recent 2-night June getaway to the Canaan Valley Resort was quite pleasant and enjoyable, a great value, and I would consider returning in the future.

I'll get this out of the way up front - no, it is not a 5-star resort comparable to some all-inclusive luxury places you might have stayed at elsewhere, but look at what you pay - I adjusted my expectations ahead of time based on the cost and these reviews. I got a special $59/night rate, but would have been just as satisfied paying more. With tax and resort fee it came to about $72/night. About the best deal you'll find anywhere at a full-service resort.

Experience:
It's a nice drive into the resort past the golf course and open meadows with grazing deer. The 5 separate "lodges" were unobtrusive 2-story motel-type buildings that for some reason reminded me of the Brady Bunch Goes to the Grand Canyon episode. Charming in it's own rustic way, but appropriate for the setting. Yes, there was a little bit of peeling exterior paint, but it didn't bother me. Lobby was spacious, rustic and attractive. There was no chlorine smell and no heat from the adjacent deli and pizza oven (that I read in some other review). Check-in person was nice, but didn't know the process. She checked me into a smoking room though my reservation clearly stated non-smoking. I had to trek back to the lobby. She told me the resort was full and that she mistakenly charged my credit card $225 for the "hospitality service" for incidentals and didn't know how to reverse the mistake. She was nice enough to admit it up front and turned it over to the manager who quickly corrected it and gave me a nice non-smoking room closer to the lobby and common areas (I guess it wasn't full after all). I thought the room was just fine - very clean, I looked around for wear-and-tear and saw very little. Size was just fine - it was like your average nice budget hotel room. I wanted a room with a valley view but they said they didn't have any available. Seems that very few of the rooms in the 5 lodges actually have a view, but it really didn't matter anyway since you are not going to keep your shades wide open due to privacy, and you walk out your door and the valley is right there to see. Rooms have free wireless internet and many cable TV channels including a few free moving channels. My cell phone reception only worked out back near the pool area. I never heard any noise through walls and bed was very comfortable.

I used both the indoor and outdoor pools - indoor is kind of small and shallow, but was ok, and had the large adjacent hottub all to myself - very relaxing. Outdoor pool was large and heated just right and was in a great setting overlooking the valley and golf course - I could have stayed in all day. I saw the tennis courts and paintball area, but never saw anyone using them. The hill between the lodge and pool is a nice area to sit in the evening - the deer come up out of the woods to graze and seem to have no fear. I ate at both the main lodge restaurant (Hickory) and the deli. Prices were so low for a main dining room resort that you can order anything you want without breaking your budget. Very few other diners so got a table by the window with the great view of the valley and the little boy chasing the grazing deer in the evening. Steak dinner and buffet breakfast were very good - not the best ever, but very good, and service was adequate.

There are a few off-site restaurants on the way to Davis (which is 10 miles) and a few in Davis as well. I didn't go to any during my quick stay because the onsite dining was fine and priced well. There's a big grocery store and Family Dollar for necessities in Davis. Blackwater Falls is worth a trip - 2 miles past Davis. Stop in the Blackwater Falls lodge for awesome valley views behind the building. There was a swimming lake near the Blackwater Falls lodge, but appeared to be closed due to weather when I drove by.

There are a number of good quick hikes with marked trails from the resort - meadows, streams, mountainside, deep woods - easy to take advantage of it and no planning or driving involved. You'll most likely see deer and groundhogs. I didn't have time for a round of golf but the course looked nice.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2010

A group of 14 stayed here in April. We range in age from age 7 to 60's. We are from Pennsylvania and we usually dont stay at State Parks because PA parks usually dont have hook-ups and alcohol is not allowed. We dont get out of control but we do like to have a few sitting around the fire at night and in PA you are not allowed. We also liked that this park offered full hook-ups - a big plus! The sites were nice. Of course some nicer than others as are all campgrounds. We visited Smoke Hole Caverns, Blackwater Falls State Park , and Seneca Rocks. All very nice places to visit and close to the campground. This campground is part of the Resort but they are a few miles away from each other. You turn off the road at the sign for the Resort/State Park and you come to the turn off for the campground first and if you continue up the drive you come to the Resort. We had to check in at the Resort because it was pre-season (April). This area is very scenic and when we were there we even saw a bit a snow on the mountain tops! I really enjoyed this trip and recommend it to all ages.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
highwayman935
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2010

My girlfriend and I had a relatively enjoyable experience with the Canaan Valley Resort and Conference Center. From may 6th – 8th 2010 we stayed in a room in the Deer Lodge. Though our stay was pleasant and enjoyable, I have to make it known that the main lodge and surrounding lodges are in need of some cosmetic attention. To be more direct, a coat of paint on the exterior would do wonders for the overall appearance of the facility’s exterior. Furthermore… the rooms could have been just a bit more spacious. That said, I’m not complaining.

I have noticed, in reading the reviews of other tripadvisor.com users, that many folks are disappointed after having visited in the Spring and Summer months. I am of this opinion:

Folks, you’re visiting a SKI resort in the middle of summer. What do you expect? You’re visiting in the early stages of the off-season. Most of everything you’re complaining about is usually covered in snow in the peak season.

Perhaps I have a more positive opinion of the resort and conference center due to the fact I made my reservations knowing full well what I was getting into. I’ll be honest. I elected to stay at the resort for the simple fact that it provided a clean bed and a safe place to get some rest. I also am somewhat familiar with the Monongahela National Forrest and know how difficult it can be to find a place to get a meal on the go. There aren’t that many places to eat in the middle of the woods and most of the West Virginia State Parks have a reputation for having decent meals for a decent price.

Upon entering the main lodge I was greeted by a relatively empty lobby. It was decorated in woods and natural looking tile and, in my opinion, was quite beautiful. A friendly desk clerk assisted my girlfriend and I with check-in and the experience was, overall, rather expedited.

I have to confess I was not exactly “impressed” with our room. Then again, I wasn’t looking to be. I was rather disappointed with how one of the housekeeping staff had failed to flush the toilet before departing the room but I didn’t allow this to impact our trip in a negative way. Still, our room was otherwise clean. There was a large television with HBO and “all the jazzed up channels” for those folks that care for that sort of thing. By our window was a cute circular table and chairs where one could look out and see the beautiful view in the morning hours. In the evening local wildlife (mostly deer) approach the area with little reservation or hesitation. On Friday evening there were multiple resort guests outside and the deer were no more than 10 feet away, though this isn’t uncommon in that area.

Blackwater Falls State Park sits just a few short miles from Canaan Valley Resort and Conference Center. My girlfriend and I spend our entire first day in the area hiking the trails at Blackwater falls and took some amazing pictures. I must admit that after our trek we were both rather exhausted. The Hickory Dining Room back at our resort offered a perfect ending to a beautiful day. The atmosphere is quite enjoyable and manages to incorporate natural woods and colors throughout the room. There are also numerous lovely paintings and photographs of the surrounding area on the walls. I for one enjoyed myself immensely and the food itself wasn’t too bad either. I had a steak and spinach salad, my girlfriend had a 8oz. steak wrapped in bacon with mixed vegetables and rice pilaf and we shared a bowl of crab and corn chowder. Trust me, it was good.

The next morning we had a lovely breakfast (in the Hickory Dining Room). Again, it was good and I walked away filled and ready to face another great day outdoors.

We didn’t spend too much time at the indoor pool because we were too busy spending all of our time outside but it seemed quite lovely. I have read a review in which one user complained about a chlorine smell in the air and getting a sore throat. I did not have this experience. My girlfriend and I did stop by the pool to simply check out the scene. I just got off the phone with my girlfriend and asked her if she remembered anything about a strong scent of chlorine. Neither of us recall anything so dramatic.

For the folks planning on taking a trip to the area I can only suggest that you keep in mind where you are going and why you are there. If you are looking for something with an “all inclusive” package and all sorts amenities then I suggest you choose a different destination. Canaan Valley Resort and Conference Center is not Disney World or Universal Studios. It is in the heart of Appalachia and is funded by the tax-dollars of hard working West Virginians (and skiers). I rate this destination “3 out of 5” for the simple fact that it ISN’T the greatest destination on earth but it DOES serve its purpose and was clean.

I would suggest this resort to skiers and folks who are on a bit of a budget. I paid $65.00 a night (I had a discount) and was happy with what I got in return.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

This is the second time I've stayed here. I hosted a group of about 150 and we had a blast. The staff always provided friendly greetings, responded to the needs of our group, and went out of their way to provide for us.
They whole heartedly support the military forces and it shows. I truly appreciate the work the staff put into making this the second event as successful as the first I did two years earlier.
The rooms are not up to date and after a long day on the slopes with teaching at night...all I wanted was a good bed (and it was), hot shower (and it was), and good food (which it was).
All in all, a clean, friendly resort with a great location near a slope. Thanks CVR!

• Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
Natural Bridge,Va.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2010

Love this place.Every thing was great and the people where more friendly there than any other place I have ever skied.The snow was great and the slopes were awesome.The lodge was great..They have a great resturant,pool,hottub and sauna's. The lounge was great alot of entertainment and the bartenders was great.This place is very afforable and I love the people and the skiing..I would recommend this place to anyone.It was a great trip... Thank you canaan valley I will be back.....!!!!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
WV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

Recently, my family and I stayed at the Canaan Valley Resort for three nights over New Year's eve. The rooms were not new, but they were extremely clean. The beds were comfortable. The TV is not a flat screen, but you get many channels to include Starz, HBO, and Encore. The food was good and inexpensive. For example, For $2.75 you can get either a grilled cheese sandwich with bacon and ham with fries or a Nathan's Hot dog with chilli and fries. I can't eat at Taco Bell for that price. The ski resort staff was great. I am used to staying at 5 star hotels such as the Ritz, Willard, Mandrin Oriental, etc. You can't find a more friendly staff. We had a great time! DO NOT listen to those people who wrote negative comments about this resort.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Albuquerque
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

After I read all the negative reviews for this resort I was honestly expecting the worse during my 3 night stay. But I was so exhausted from snowboarding that I just wanted a minute in the hot tub and a warm bed to sleep in. The plus is that they have a great menu of food and great waitresses and concierges. The bad part was that when I first used the bathroom I had to clean the toilet because the seat was dirty. The WHOLE room should have been cleaned better. Being part of the hospitality industry I know these are minor things that can easily be corrected through inspections. Otherwise it was a very comfortable, quite, and relaxing stay.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Been to Canaan Valley Resort? Share your experiences!