“Multiple Stays” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Davis
Springfield, Virginia
“Multiple Stays”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

First, we have been staying at this resort since 1991-on and off. They did a fantastic job on the renovation; however they need to keep up on the maintenance. We have stayed three times since the renovation was completed. First time, place was beautiful, clean, fresh and inviting. Second time, I noticed small things, like dead bugs in the lights in the common areas. Just this last week we decided to try one of the cabins, VERY outdated. So much so I was worried that my oldest son with asthma would have a problem-please note, the cabin was spotless as far as the floors and bathroom, just old and in need of new furniture. The staff was accommodating and moved us to two rooms side by side. I’m being picky here, but I noticed there was a small section of paint peeling on the ceiling in our bathroom. I hope they correct the small problems quickly as I don’t want them to multiply. One piece I have to note-we are three kids and two adults. The resort does not have suites or connecting rooms. I hope this changes with the new sections they will be building. All in all, it is a very relaxing place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for valley views-
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Liz M, Director of Sales at Canaan Valley Resort, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your visits to Canaan Valley. We are so grateful to have such wonderfully loyal guests.
In regards to some of your concerns: the entire property is on a preventive maintenance schedule, but we will surely add your comments to our checklists. Our cabins were not included in the renovations, but their rustic experience are part of what makes Canaan special, and give our guests an extra choice when choosing amenities. The contrast in styles is magnified now that the lodge is complete, but we remain equally dedicated to their upkeep and cleanliness. I would also love your feedback regarding the specific room number in which you stayed during your last visit. While our team will always do their best to keep their eyes peeled for the details, we sometimes rely on the comments on our guests for up-to-the-minute maintenance needs.

Of note - please do not hesitate to request a suite, or connecting rooms during your next visit. We absolutely DO have these room types available. I am sure it would more appropriately accommodate your family.

All the Best.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Norfolk, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

Stayed six days here in early April shortly after the ski season rush was gone. Beautiful building with soaring open public space, large windows overlooking the valley, and several gas fireplaces both in the public area and the main restaurant. I used this trip to attempt to hike all of the trails and came pretty darn close to doing so. While the trails were mismarked in but a few places, most had clear blazes. There were a few downed trees over parts of the more remote trails. The facility shows evidence of recent well-done renovations. Facilities in public places and in rooms were clean, sparkling, and new. Toilet paper was some of the flimsiest I've seen in quite a while. Vending machines were well placed and stocked with some healthy choices and old favorites. Building arrangement was such that I had to take an elevator down one floor, walk to the far side of the building and then go up a floor to get to my room. There were plenty of luggage carts and a protected overhang for pickup of passengers. For the entire time I was able to walk everywhere I needed to go although I did catch a ride to the neighboring Blackriver Falls State Park. I never saw anyone else on the trails; some of which still had a cover of snow at elevations. There were amazing opportunities for photos and for wildlife observation. I saw over 100 deer, a couple of groundhogs, a bald eagle, a couple of raccoons and many birds. While I did not use the pool, the hot tub was great after a long hike. The front desk staff and to some extent the staff making reservations left a lot to be desired. On the other hand, the single woman staffing the Nature Center at the bottom of the hill was very helpful and even gave me a ride when I told her signs were missing for the start of one of the trails. The front desk staff seemed either weakly trained or otherwise busy. They clearly could have placed me in a room with a view of other than the parking lot since my brother and I were the only people on the floor for most of the week. I did sense that the new more modern features of the Lodge had lost a bit of the warmth and coziness of the original more dated layout. The trails were excellent. The golf course looked beautiful. The outdoor heated swimming pool was closed. The small cafe and the restaurant were attractive and reasonably priced. The paintball facility appeared underused. The tennis courts looked nice with great views. The deer were everywhere to be seen and apparently there are no venomous snakes in the whole valley. Its a great get away especially in this season.

Room Tip: Select a room in the Central updated building with a view of the valley.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Saint Louis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

On a Monday night after ski season has closed and the summer tourist season has not started, Canaan Valley is very quiet. The last time I stayed in the resort, the remodel was not completed. The new facilities looked great. Lobby was expansive and check in was easy.

My room was new and clean including the bathroom. The TV was excellent and the internet service was efficient.

Only one complaint. In room coffee and powered cream does not cut it for me. I went to the lobby at 6:45 am looking for some fresh brew. There was none available and the front desk sent me to the restaurant which was closed. I did finally find the kitchen entrance and the very nice chef and server lead me to brewing java. This is not a deal breaker but fresh coffee at 6:45 am should be easy to find!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Liz M, Director of Sales at Canaan Valley Resort, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Thank you for taking some time to post your review. We are pleased that you enjoyed the new Canaan Valley, and hope we might have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.
Thank you as well for offering your constructive notes regarding coffee service. We pride ourselves in taking care of the little details, and as a result of your comments, we are considering several ideas to most efficiently offer fresh coffee service for our guests. I am confident that during your next visit, we will have a wonderful solution for you.
Thank you again. We look forward to welcoming you back.

All the Best.
Fairmont, West Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

I decided to take a weekend getaway there in October. I registered through their website for a package deal that included ziplining with a nearby company and breakfast at hotel. When I checked in, the clerk did not know anything about the package and went to get a manager. She got angry with me for booking a room through their website. That's right, she blamed their lack of organization on the fact that I booked the room through their website. Then she insisted that the zipline tour had been shut down. When I asked her about the envelope on the shelf behind her that clearly had my name on it, she angrily handed it over. It had the zipline information, but when I got to the room, I realized that I didn't know how to redeem the breakfast or where the restaurant was. Back to the lobby where a third clerk was angry that I didn't know where the restaurant was, even though the building was being remodelled and everything was torn up. Again, it was apparently my fault that the tickets for breakfast weren't in the envelope (hey, what is that second envelope with my name on it?). Then I asked about trail maps for the property and was told that I had to buy one.

I had also wanted to book a massage, which the property claims to offer. The spa area was completely dark, with no hours posted. There was no information in the room about how to make arrangements. So I waited in line for the one book in the lobby that was supposed to have information. It told me to ask at the front desk, but no way was I dealing that that group again.

I would go back to the area, but I would absolutely not stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Liz M, Director of Sales at Canaan Valley Resort, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Thank you for offering your feedback. All critique, whether good or bad, offers our team an opportunity to learn and grow. We've taken the liberty of forwarding your comments directly to our entire management team as immediate reminders of the hospitality standards we hold our teams accountable for upholding are required. It is true - the timeframe of your stay may not have shown us in our best light, but that is no excuse for anything less than flawless service.
We are so very sorry for your experience at Canaan, and hope that you might accept our apologies.

Our Best.
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

We took our first trip to Canaan Valley. We stayed in a cabin. Very rustic, but very clean. The kids had a great time as did we. When we were not skiing (very scenic!), the kids enjoyed the outdoor skating rink, and indoor pool. Both the breakfast buffet and dinner buffet in the main lodge were delicious, many options, and very reasonably priced.
Are already planning our next visit!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Morgantown, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

My wife and I went to Canaan Valley Resort last year around President's Day weekend. When we pulled into the parking lot, it was clear that major renovations were going on. At the time, the accommodations were adequate at best. Everything else was good to great in terms of food, service, etc. The skiing was great and the scenery was breath taking. We returned this year and from the time we walked through the front doors, we were stunned at how beautiful the renovated Canaan Valley Resort was. The rooms were incredible! My previous job required me to travel throughout the United States and I've stayed in some very, very nice hotel rooms. I would put our room at Canaan Valley up against any of them. The bed was enormous and as comfortable as could be. The decor in the room was very tasteful. Every amenity that you could possibly want was in the room (refrigerator, microwave, etc.) We brought our infant son with us and required a crib. When we asked for one at the front desk, they delivered one within five minutes and did so with a smile. We ate dinner and breakfast at the restaurant in the resort and couldn't have been more happy with the food and the service. We had a few drinks at the bar the night we arrived and had great service there as well. Our bartender, whose name was Amber if memory serves me correctly, was very pleasant and attentive. She even remembered us from our last trip which was impressive considering the hundreds if not thousands of people she meets each year. The skiing and the scenery were as excellent this year as they were the previous year. We plan on returning to Canaan Valley Resort for many years to come. On an unrelated note, this was a particularly nostalgic trip for my wife and I because it was when we returned from our trip last year that we found she was pregnant with our son Cole!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Liz M, Director of Sales at Canaan Valley Resort, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Wow! Your review is everything we could ever hope for. We are thrilled that you and your family enjoyed yourself, and we would be honored to welcome you back for years to come. Nothing would make us more happy.

All the Best!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

We stayed last year during the same weekend before the new lodge was renovated. All I can say is WOW! The new lodge is beautiful! The reception area is large and lovely! There is a nice cafe open right by the front desk, with reasonably priced provisions, some foods, salads, pastries, coffee....and such kind, pleasant employees- we used it a lot - would be nice if they opened a little earlier than 9 am. Beautiful gift shop next door with wonderful employees as well. We didn't eat at the restaurant this time. The pool and game rooms are not changed. We had a 2 queen room, they are brand new and super comfy! They have a mini fridge and a microwave which made it nice to have cereal in the morning in the room, pop some popcorn, etc. We had a wonderful family weekend again. So happy the renovations are complete! Nice job!

Stayed March 2014
A year does make a world of difference, and we couldn't be more grateful for your continued support of Canaan Valley. We are thrilled that you enjoyed the new Lodge and new guestrooms. They truly make Canaan an even more remarkable experience. We hope you might make it back to Canaan this summer - so you can enjoy the beauty of the park and lodge from a different perspective!

All the Best!

Been to Canaan Valley Resort? Share your experiences!