“Unbeatable views, clean rooms, mediocre food!” 4 of 5 stars

Canaan Valley Resort
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   230 Main Lodge Road, HC 70 Box 330, Davis, WV 26260   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Davis
Columbus, Ohio
“Unbeatable views, clean rooms, mediocre food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Recently stayed in one of Canaan Valley Resort's lodge rooms for a long weekend to attend a festival that was being held on the resort grounds. I wasn't expecting the most positive experience given all of the negative reviews, but I try to experience something firsthand before I completely rule it out. While a lot of the reviewers are correct in saying the rooms need renovated, I expected an outdated room because that is what you get with most state parks. The rooms are on the small side, but it was just fine for myself, my boyfriend, and our dog. There was construction going on, but that's a given when trying to improve the facilities. Our room was very clean and had the amenities that most budget hotels offer. The best part is by far the view. It simply cannot be beat, and if you're vacationing in this area, I'm assuming it's because you need to get away from the hustle and bustle and/or you enjoy the great outdoors. Everywhere you look is a beautiful valley!

I'd say the only real negatives for us were the fact that our bathtub was semi-clogged and didn't drain normally during a shower, and our key cards both expired a day prematurely, prompting a trek to the front desk. Yes, you have to walk outside to get to the main lodge, which houses the restaurants, pool, gift shop, laundry, etc. It looks like when the 2 new buildings are completed, they will be connected to the main lodge. Otherwise, the existing buildings where the guest rooms are located require a short walk to get to the main lodge. I can easily see where this would be inconvenient, especially during colder months. The length of the walk depends on which building you're staying in. We stayed in Beaver Lodge, which I believe is the furthest away from the main lodge, and it was maybe a 5 minute walk at most. Parking isn't conveniently located right next to each building, especially with Beaver Lodge. If you packed a lot of belongings, you'll have to make the trips from your vehicle to your room up and down an incline.

We ate at Caffe Siena and Hickory Dining Room, and none of the food we ordered was anything to write home about. It was mediocre at best. Highly suggest driving to Davis or Thomas (Flying Pigs is delicious!!) for way better restaurant options.

I also have to commend the resort because they accomodated us bringing our dog when they didn't have any "pet-friendly" rooms left. It was a last minute change, and they didn't give us any problems at all. The front desk staff were very friendly throughout our stay!

One more thing, cell phone service is almost non-existent, which I found to be refreshing, but if you aren't of the same mentality, have a back-up plan, stay somewhere else, or don't come to the mountains period. We all need a break from cell phones from time to time anyway :)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

241 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Wheeling, West Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

First the facts.
-the rooms are in desperate need of upgrades, which are currently ongoing
-construction going on all day starting at 7
-our room was extremely musty because...
-everything in the room was damp, almost wet, the next morning
-rooms ARE clean.
-staff is friendly but not terribly helpful
-no wifi in the rooms, just wired internet.
-pools looked nice but didn't get to use them, see below

We decided to stay here for the last few days at the end of our vacation. We booked a package that said it included breakfast but at checkin they indicated it was only for the adults and the kids had to pay for the overpriced breakfast. Maybe I missed it on the website. After checking in we decided to walk around the trails a bit. The trails are nothing exciting, just essentially walking around in the woods. When we returned there was a sign on everyone's door that there would be no water until 'later' with no indication of what the problem was or if they have any idea when it will return. The water did however seem to work the entire time without issue.

Then at 11:30 at night, when everyone was asleep, a security guard was banging on the door. He indicated that the water main had broken and there was no water whatsoever and that the resort was closing. We could spend the night but has to check out in the morning. Of course you can't reach any other lodging in the middle of the night in this area so we went to sleep. In the morning they did fully refund our stay but just handed us a list of local lodging and said we were on our own to find a place. We aree not familiar with the area to the point that we know where everyplace is. Plus our cell phones (Sprint/Virgin Mobile) don't work in this area so we had to use the hotel phone to call around. Whoops! Phone's not working. Ok, Skype then. We tried a few places but none that we called were either open nor available, at which point we just decided to enjoy our day and go home a day early instead of stressing about trying to find a place for one more night.

After finding a place to eat breakfast (none in the resort obviously because no water) we went on our way. It turns out however that Canaan had reserved blocks of rooms at various places as we discovered when we spoke to some friends who were also tossed out. They were staying longer and found a very nice place (black bear?). When they checked in they were told that Canaan had reserved everything that was available for their guests. WHY WEREN'T WE TOLD THIS ON CHECKOUT?? We were just given a list and told to fend for ourselves. I also specifically asked if they had reserved anything or had any suggested places, and they said no. They should have at least booked other rooms at nearby places at the same rates that we were paying at the resort, and instructed us of the places we could actually go. Additionally you would think management would offer a free night or something so our sour experience could be resweetened after the construction was complete. At this point we won't be returning there.

We found out from some locals in Davis and Thomas that they have been having problems almost daily due to the construction and that they have had many people in there complaining about problems at Canaan. If they know these construction issues are happening, why don't they have a better contingency plan?!?

So, now opinions.
-the construction is affecting the resort almost on a daily basis it seems
-you're better off waiting until the construction is complete before going here
-staff/management handled the situation poorly
-resort itself looked nice enough, too bad we didn't get to use it
-restaurants looked like they would be overpriced for what you get
-existing rooms are old, structures are rusting apart, bedding looked like it was from the 60s
-overpriced hotel, even at the discounted rates. No fridge, no microwave, small room. Maybe the updates will fix this.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Hurricane, West Virginia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

The Lodge rooms which are outside entrance, are accessed through a walkway with heavily peeling ceiling paint, which immediately shows the neglect this wonderfully located resort is suffering. We declined the first room we were assigned because it smelled strongly of room freshener trying to cover up pet urine smell and old smoke. This room appeared clean but had worn out carpeting, furniture and wallpaper. The second room we were assigned was np better but for the pet smell. We still had to air out the room because of the heavy use of room freshener which was covering up an underlying mold smell. The wall paper was peeling, there was visible mold in the shower, and the mattresses were old and worn out. The only bright spot were the plush towels and the friendly staff. The available internet connection is still by CatV cable which no one carries around any more. Overall at a room rate of $120 for a room I expect in an old no-name roadside motel, available for less than half the price of the resort.

The common rooms also are showing neglect and the entire place came across as drab and worn down. In the lounge the otherwise comfortable chairs had a chair with a round hole in the side covering of about 8". The comfortable dining room chairs and uncovered table tops in a dark room didn't help the overall impression of drab. Some plain white table cloths would have given the room some cheer and a little bit of class.

We had come for a relaxing weekend and a family reunion and checked out early after the first night.

Room Tip: At first glance the cabins appeared somewhat better than the standard rooms, even though there is no...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Richardson, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

First of all, I need to express my gratitude that this place could take us when the power outages in West Virginia the week of July 4, 2012, meant we had to scramble to relocate a family reunion of 27 people. We rented two four-bedroom cottages and some rooms in the lodge. The setting was truly lovely and there was plenty to do for all ages.

HOWEVER--the public areas of the lodge seem totally neglected. The indoor swimming pool had cracked and dirty tile and beatup furniture, the dingy cinderblock bathrooms had peeling paint, I was afraid to use the weight benches in the fitness room as they looked as if they had never been cleaned. The miniature golf was really shabby--good that it was free! The rental equipment for tennis was just a joke--four old rackets and some used balls! That's a shame, as they had four lighted courts, but the surfaces were in poor condition. The golf course was one bright spot--beautiful course and great rental equipment. Just one petty but telling example of neglect--in the lodge public bathrooms, they had elongated toilets but fitted them with the smaller, plastic toilet lids. Talk about cheaping out!

The cottages were in fairly good shape compared to the lodge, but seemed expensive per night compared to other state parks we have been in. The cottages slept 12 people, but only sat 6 at the table in the kitchen, so we had to rent a table and chairs from the lodge.

The restaurant, front desk and bar staff were helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: We stayed in Cabin 21 and it was in fairly good shape compared to the lodge rooms.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
bosticd, General Manager at Canaan Valley Resort, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Thank you for staying with us. We will look into your suggestions and concerns immediately.

The team at Canaan Valley Resort try very hard to deliver the best experience possible. Your suggestions will assist us in do just that.

Thank you again.
Layton, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

I stayed in the Beaver lodge. I would say the room was in dire need of renovating, but I think the best thing would be to knock down the entire building and start over.

The carpet on my floor was very dirty; the bedspread coloration made it also appear grungy. There was no refrigerator or microwave. I could hear every time someone walked up the steps, as my room was on the corner. There is no elevator. There are also many steps down from the parking lot. This was a hassle with a suitcase with rolling wheels.

My view was of the parking lot, but my window had water stains between the panes so it always looked foggy outside. The walkway beside my window did nothing to promote a sense of privacy. My Verizon phone did not work unless I walked all the way to the main lodge. My A/C unit made intermittant noises that woke me up several times.

The pool was always filled with screaming children during my 3 day stay.

On the positive side, my shower worked well.

I saw the metal structures of the planned new buildings, but never saw any construction workers working on them during my stay. I would not count on these being completed any time soon.

Room Tip: See if they have any upgraded rooms in the main lodge????
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

The renovations are well underway and the projected Fall 2013 completion date is well in sight. We hope that you will return to enjoy the new facilities.
Charlottesville, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

My family and I, dog and all, just returned from a weekend in the mountains of West Virginia at Canaan Velley Resort. We stayed in a two bedroom cabin. The fact that there was no TV, phone service or air conditioning made me a little bit apprehensive going into it, but I will have to say for the price of the cabin it was quite nice. My only complaint on the accomidations were the HORRIFIC beds. Trust me at one point I thought about sleeping on the floor. They were just horrible, in fact our guests bed was lopsided and our firend said that she had to hang on for dear life just to stay aboard it. The bed linens were pretty embarrasing too, but other than that we had no complaints. The indoor pool and game room was a hit with my five year old and us adults just enjoyed the peace and quiet. One thing we did observe that we felt was less than ideal was the antiquated playground. It looked like something you would have to get a tetnus shot after playing on, so we just kept driving. There is a lot of construction under way and the plans for the new hotel type rooms look pretty promising. Will we return? Yes probably, but it will be with air mattresses in tow.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
We appreciate your feedback and enjoyed having you with us. We will look into the mattress issue and work to replace them for your next visit.

The cabins are rustic and believe it or not we leave the phone and tv out on purpose. These are designed to promote family time and to help escape the city noise. It is good to see you found some accomodating activities in the lodge.

For your next visit, make sure to head down to the campground and let the kids play around on the play ground there. We will look into any concerns with the playground near the cabins.

Elkins, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

Stayed the weekend of 5/4/12. My boyfriend and I needed a weekend away. I got an amazing deal with breakfast included for around 80 bucks a night. We loved the hiking trails and indoor pool at the resort. We tried to play miniature golf, but the course was terrible. I would not recommend paying the two dollars per person to even play. My boyfriend got an emergency call that he had to be at work on Sunday early. We talked to the front desk lady, Amy. She gladly refunded us for Saturday night. We were extremely grateful!! We loved the hospitality of everyone working at the resort. Yes, the resort is kinda outdated, but their employees make the place well worth your time. We will stay again!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. Our great employees do a wonderful job trying to take care of all of our guests needs. It is good to see that they are noticed and appreciated.

Also, plans for renovating the putt-putt is in the works.

We hope to see you soon.

Been to Canaan Valley Resort? Share your experiences!