“Not what we expected - We will not be back” 1 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   255 Resort Dr, Daniels, WV 25832   |
Announcement
Christmas Adventure!
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Daniels
“Not what we expected - We will not be back”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

Our family recently stayed in the Chestnut Hill Lodges for a family reunion. As a large group we were excited to find a accommodations for our size group. The pool was closed, the other activities the kids were interested in were either too far to walk to, or completely off property. There are no paths for walking or biking. I was almost hit by a speeding maintenance vehicle while on my morning run. The carpet in our unit was dark green, stained and frayed and in some places crunchy underfoot. The resort charges extra for housekeeping but there is no washer or dryer in the unit. We were charged an "activities fee" even though we used no activities. We had to call to get toilet paper, garbage bags and towels.
We were disgusted when we found a pack of cigarettes at the foot of my 9 year old sons bed after we checked in!
The final straw for me was the day I got out of the shower in the downstairs bedroom and there were maintenance workers at the door. They arrived unannounced at the back downstairs door, not at our request, and were smoking. They did put out the cigarette when I told them that my mother was allergic. They proceeded to work on the downstairs air conditioner (didn't seem to be broken) so we left the unit. When we returned it was broken.
We come to WVA every year and love the area but will not be back to Resort at Glade Springs

Room Tip: No washer or dryer in Chestnut Hill house we stayed in - kids needed extra clothes.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
DeAnna D, Guest Relations Manager at The Resort at Glade Springs, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear Ncwilson,
We are very distraught by your recent experience. Please accept our sincerest apologies for not having succeeded at making your stay a positive memory. Understandably our pool being closed due to a fire in our pump house did not help getting your stay off on the right foot. Indeed we offer many onsite and offsite activities. Being a 4,000 acre resort, some of these activities require transportation, but most are centrally located within the resort and our shuttles are available to get you around the property. Especially our Leisure Center has a Spa, bowling, indoor pool, fitness, basketball, tennis, arcade, cinema; all under one roof. We also have three well maintained hiking trails. There is no excuse for speeding vehicles and we always remind our staff to drive slowly, it is inexcusable that you were scared by this while on your run.

The carpets in our lodges are slated for replacement next year, we do our best to maintain them until then. We also will be installing washers and dryers next year. We share your feeling that these items need addressed. Clearly our housekeeping fell short by not cleaning your room properly prior to arrival and overlooking a pack of cigarettes. Please know that our housekeeping does work hard to not overlook such items.

It is absolutely a violation for staff to be at your unit’s door without properly advising you first. We also do not allow our staff to smoke on the job and we have learned the person smoking outside your door was with an outsourced HVAC service company and we will address this with them so it does not happen again.

Thank you for letting us know about your experience. It is rare that our guests are expressing no desire to return, especially considering our high ratio of repeat guests. Of course we would like to restore our image with you and we invite you to return and stay with us again for a much better experience. Please contact me directly at 304-763-0816 to discuss a future visit. I look forward to hearing from you soon. DeAnna Delp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Rochester, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

I chose this location because it was close to the area where the wedding I was in town for was. I arrived quite late but was greeted by the folks at the front desk in a great way. It was raining from the time I got into the Charleston Airport and all during the evening, the property lost power about 0700 the next morning but all the people that I spoke with did all possible to make me happy in a situation that they had no control over. When I got back from the wedding Saturday afternoon, the power was back and things were back to normal. I left the next morning after a fantastic breakfast served by very nice people. I wish I would have had more time to enjoy my stay. The grounds are very well kept and it's easy to find your way around. If I ever get back to the area I will certainly stay here.

Room Tip: I stayed in a suite but every place looked great.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
DeAnna D, Guest Relations Manager at The Resort at Glade Springs, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Dear Michael C,
Thank you for the nice review and for choosing our hotel! We are pleased to see that you enjoyed our resort despite the rain and short power outage. We do hope to see you again the next time you are in southern West Virginia!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

Place was amazing! Great Food and breath taking! The staff was kind and attentive to your needs. The bar was fun and upscale. Property was well maintained. I would recommend this to everyone I know. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Executive suite
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Brad O,
We are so happy to see that you had a perfect visit and that our staff was kind and attentive to your needs. We appreciate the review and your recommendations! Come and visit us again soon!
Caledonia, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

We got to the hotel late and had to leave early. Once we were there we were disappointed we did not have an extra day to explore the resort! What I loved about the resort was the family activities it offered. It had something for everyone! The breakfast that came with our room was great. We also ordered food from Bunkers and it was fast and tasty. The indoor pool and game room are outdated but the kids don't care when they can swim! Loved that they had a bowling alley and movie room! Our executive suite was spacious, comfortable bedding and had a big bathroom. Just beware that if you are on the second floor you do need to walk up the stairs with your luggage. If we go back to the area I would love to explore the resort some more!

Room Tip: If you don't want to carry your luggage up a flight of stairs and have an executive suite, ask f...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
DeAnna D, Guest Relations Manager at The Resort at Glade Springs, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Dear Goode4,
We appreciate you choosing our resort during your travels through Southern West Virginia! It is pleasing to see that you enjoyed your room, our Leisure Center, meals and appreciated the family activities that we offer. We do hope that you will visit us again; thank you for the nice review!
Beckley, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

The staff at the Clubhouse were very accommodating and helpful which made our experience 5 stars ***** out of 5!!! Very professional, courteous, and they each definitely went out of their way to accommodate our every need. The staff assisted our organization with an array of things that I would venture to say is not part of their job descriptions!!! Several went out of their way from the minute they saw us. I don't normally write reviews or letters of praise, but I wanted to recognize and let the staff know that we appreciate all that they do & did for us during the week of the WV Open. I hope this message will be conveyed to them all. Thanks again!

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear CCCWestVirginia,
It was a privilege to host the WV Open at The Resort at Glade Springs this year. We are exceptionally pleased to see that our Clubhouse staff went above and beyond their duties to help with the success of this special event. We will certainly share these accolades with them. We appreciate the five star review and look forward to hosting another prestigious event!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

I'll start with the good; nice rooms, nice golf courses and shuttle drivers friendly. The bad: inedible food, dirty serving dishes, long waits for service, no toiletries of any kind in our rooms, indoor pool was freezing, misrepresentation of amenities - no carriage rides, no paddleboats, no concierage, unprofessional staff, and I could go on. Now to the ugly: staff was rude and not helpful which just made everything that much worse especially to my daughter and my granddaughter. Totally unacceptable for a place that portrays itself as a high end resort. The only thing that was high end about this resort were the prices they charge. My husband and I have traveled frequently in the 31 years we have been married and we have never left a day early from vacation (which we did after finally just giving up). Save yourself the grief and the money and stay at a Motel 6; I'm sure you'll have a better experience!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
DeAnna D, Guest Relations Manager at The Resort at Glade Springs, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear JANET S,
Thank you for sharing the feedback regarding your visit. We want to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements so that we will deliver exceptional service for our guests in the future. Would you mind calling me to discuss this further at 304-763-0816? I hope to hear from you soon. DeAnna Delp
Weehawken, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

I stayed here and attended a conference at Glade Springs and was pleasantly surprised by this resort in what I suppose would best be described as middle of nowhere. Mostly pros, but one con that could remove a star for some, but not for me.

Pros:
1. The staff was excellent. From check in to food service, to conference rooms to the bus drivers, everyone was very professional and nice.
2. I was able to get a room in one of the executive suites, and the reason why I did is because they were priced less than I normally pay for a Hampton Inn. It appears the resort is looking to make their money elsewhere because their room rates were very reasonable. The executive suites are a bunch of buildings next to the main inn and meeting area and are quite large.
3. There is a bus that will take you anywhere you want to go.
4. The buffet breakfast is pricey, but is very extensive and for those who care, the bacon was crispy.
5. The meeting rooms and conference areas were clean, large and very professional.
6. Our group had another event that was indoor/outdoor and the staff did a great job setting it up hosting it.

Possible con:
1. This resort really is in the middle of nowhere. Unless you are doing an activity through the resort or staged by a company affiliated with the resort, there is not much around. It is about 90 minutes or so from Charleston, depending on traffic. For me this was not a bit enough con to take away a star since all our activities for the meeting were at the resort.

Overall, I recommend the Resort at Glade Springs.

Room Tip: The executive suites were the same price as the rooms in the inn.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
DeAnna D, Guest Relations Manager at The Resort at Glade Springs, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear psudino,
Thank you for sharing your review with the travel community! We are delighted to see that you enjoyed our grounds and Executive Suite. Our property does give the feel of being secluded away from the hustle and bustle. Many of our guests enjoy visiting Beckley which is about 10 miles off of our property. There, guests will find shopping, attractions and more outdoor adventures. We are pleased to know that our staff as professional and nice. We appreciate you visiting us from New Jersey and hope you will join us again soon!

Been to The Resort at Glade Springs? Share your experiences!