“Call me crazy, but I didn't "love" it” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Cross Lanes
Kentucky
“Call me crazy, but I didn't "love" it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2008

Although my stay wasn't all that great, I can certainly see why others like it here.

First, my problems: A television that wouldn't work and an A/C that wouldn't cool in the middle of summer. And this was in one of their "new" rooms. Plus, in my opinion, this place is overpriced...although it is near the casino so I would assume that is why. To be fair, the staff promptly fixed the TV, although the A/C did not kick on all night. Not horrible....but not comfortable either.

Now, the positives: The staff actually try here and seem to care. I believe this is a family operation, so that may be why. Plus, there were actually three people working during the evening check-in rush, as opposed to the customary one or two (if your lucky) staffers at most similar places. The room was spotless and quiet and parking was ample.

My problems were quite likely just bad luck on my part, especially given the glowing reviews by other members on here. And, as I said, I did appreciate the staff "effort". I guess my biggest complaint was the price. I was staying on the company's tab, but if I was having to pay for it out of my pocket I would have been unhappy, especially after the substandard AC. As is, I would probably stay here again, especially if you are looking to stay near the casino/dog track. Plus, there is a shopping center/movie theater nearby, which is convienent. However, for around the same price, you could easily stay at the Marriott or Embassy Suites in downtown Charleston.

• Liked — Staff, cleanliness, location
  • Disliked — Price, A/C
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
SleepInnandSuites, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, March 3, 2009
We appreciate your comments, and will make greater efforts to ensure the air conditioners/heaters work in every room every night. Thank you for helping us with this area of opportunity so it does not affect our future guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
keenawolf
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2008

Wonderful Stay. Stay here on business a couple of times a month and would not consider staying anywhere else! Loved it. The Staff are wonderul and friendly and the rooms are ALWAYS clean and comfortable.

Anyone who gives this Hotel a Bad review is crazy!

• Liked — Easy checkin, clean, friendly staff, security
  • Disliked — No restaurant
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
Columbus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2008

I was treated as a "GUEST" the night I arrived on sunday the 11th of may until I left on the morning of friday the 16 th. The staff was very helpful. The rooms were very nice and well kept. The breakfast was great, with a good variety of choices. My best experience was with David, the overnight auditor/desk person. He made sure (out of his way) that I had directions to Winfield, WV for meetings that week !! I will always recommend this hotel to all my friends, family or business associates that pass through that area. Best Regards, Mike Kelly.

• Liked — The breakfast and service from David the front desk (night person). Also the nice rooms !!
  • Disliked — Can not think about anything.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2008

Stayed here on a recent stay to Charleston, WV area.

Seemed like a very new property. Staff was very gracious and check -in was a breeze. Rooms were spacious and very clean.

Ate the breakfast and it was above average--had biscuits & gravy, sausage, eggs, waffles along with typical continental items.

Also located very close to Tri-State Gaming if you are interested.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Proctorville, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2008

I am a frequent stayer at Choice Hotels and I think that this Sleep Inn at Cross Lanes, WV is one of the best -- Hands down! The staff was very friendly but most importantly the room was GREAT! I think that besides those of Hiltons & Marriott's, this was one of the cleanest rooms that I have ever stayed in. It was an amazing room for the money. Value was 10 out of 10! The hotel was close to the interstate, but far enough off to avoid noise. Arm's reach of Cracker Barrell and Friday's and then several other resturants within half of a mile. I will be staying here everytime I am through and near this area! FIVE STARS Sleep Inn!!!

• Liked — CLEAN - CLEAN - CLEAN
  • Disliked — There was nothing!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Upstate NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2007

I arrived around 1am on October 9, 2007. This was a one night stay on a multi-state trip. The staff were very friendly. The room was clean and comfortable. High speed Internet access worked. I'd definitely recommend it.

• Liked — lots of entrances so there wasn't a long walk to the car
  • Disliked — can't think of anything wrong
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2007

We stayed at Sleep Inn on a Saturday night. We had been riding with another couple on motorcycles all day in the 90+ weather. On arriving, there were 3 people checking in ahead of us. The staff was so nice and quick. It seemed like no time at all and we were checked into our rooms. The lobby was very clean. The staff was friendly and helpful. Our rooms were very clean. The air was working great. The restrooms were spotless. The beds were very comfortable. They have an excellent breakfast bar with fresh fruit salad, sausage patties, scrambled eggs, biscuts, cereal, you name it they have it. It was kept well stocked too. You can stay in this area and have a shuttle take you to the casino any time you want. We took the shuttle to the casino. We didn't have to wait but a minute or two for it's arrival to take us back. We had a wonderful time and a great experience. The price of the room was good too. No dissapointments here.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Sleep Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!