“$450 for 4 people?” 2 of 5 stars

+1 877-435-4842
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: NROCKS Outdoor Adventures is located in the beautiful North Fork Valley of Pendleton County, West Virginia. Formerly known as the Nelson Rocks Outdoor Center, NROCKS Outdoor Adventures is a privately-owned adventure destination that encompasses 145 mountainous acres, including the double-fin Tuscarora Quartzite fins of Nelson Rocks. Home to The Via Ferrata, The North Fork Valley Canopy Tour, incredible guided rock climbing, and miles of breathtaking, awe-inspiring hiking trails NROCKS Outdoor Adventures is sure to quench your thirst for adventure.
Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania, United States
“$450 for 4 people?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I'm looking at the brochure that I have from 2006 when they used to charge $40 per person. Now it's $113.40. For that kind of price increase, you can drive up to Seneca Rocks and hire a climbing guide to go around Seneca for the day. I called and they indicated that they've added additional facilities, which I'm sure are very nice. The problem is I just want to go up on the rocks. Apparently now they require a guide to go with you and that has made it prohibitively expensive.

Having done this in 2006, I will say it's a cool experience, but it's not a $113 experience.

Visited November 2011

Centreville, VA
4 attraction reviews
“Fantastic time on the Via Ferrata”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Just visited Nelson Rocks this past weekend and had a blast! I was with a group of about a dozen coworkers doing this as a team building event. The weather was just about perfect and the leaves are turning, making the views spectacular. We had great guides (thanks Neil and Cody!) who provided varying levels of assistance depending on what individuals needed. There are two points at which climbers can return back if they don't wish to continue and the guides assisted members of our group at both of them. Everyone was supportive and encouraging without being pressuring and those who went back left just as satisfied as the rest. I will come back here again, both for the Via and the zip lining course, which I didn't get a chance to do this trip. Note: definitely use their directions on the website as GPS will lead you astray. I believe it took us about 4 hours to do the full hike/climb/hike.

Visited October 2012
Pittsburgh
14 attraction reviews
“Most excellent adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

We did the Via last week and had the most amazing time. I was extremely concerned about my ability to complete the course, both physically and mentally. A big part of me wanted to chicken out before I even started but the staff at Via patiently answered all my questions to the point that I could start the hike to the base 'just to look'. It looked very high and very steep but I wanted to give the first leg a try and then possibly bail out at the first escape route.

Once I got up the first part, without looking down...I figured I could make it to the bridge and then use that escape route. As I got the hang of moving the equipment as I climbed, I got more confident and actually started to enjoy myself. Once I got to the bridge, there was no way I wasn't going to complete this amazing adventure. The bridge was actually the easiest part of the day for me. Our guide, Gatan was so calm and reassuring. He was so good at coaching my foot placement for the tougher moves.

It was so empowering to get to the end of the course and I have been a changed person ever since. It was amazing and I would encourage anyone to give it a go. My husband and I are in our mid to late 50s and are not rock climbers by any stretch of the imagination. It was amazing and I HIGHLY recommend it!!!!!!!

Chicago, Illinois
51 attraction reviews
“A hike that packs a punch.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

The Via Ferrata is like a hike that's on steroids. It's a beefed-up, daredevil climb up vertical rocks, across thin ledges, and over a crazy suspension bridge. This trip is best appreciated if you have a mild fear of heights. If you're too afraid, then you'll be too petrified to enjoy the experience. Throughout the climb, you wear a harness, helmet, and Y lanyard. You're clipped in with carabiners so you won't fall to your death. An average level of fitness would be sufficient. No technical abilities are needed.

The two best parts of the trip are the suspension bridge and the optional 100 foot rock face. The bridge has wooden planks that are 12" apart. It's awesome to see the steep drop below you as you walk from plank to plank. The rock face is also thrilling because it's slightly overhung so you're using your arms to climb to the sky.

Our Via Ferrata group had 1 guide and 6 guests. Everyone had a great time.

NJ
“Probably would have been a great trip.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

This is probably would have been a good trip but...Our trip got rained out. They will cancel the trip if it is rain since you are walking on metal rails it will become very slippy and unsafe to climb. Not a big deal but I live 3 hrs away. It was raining steadily when I woke up. I checked the radar and the weather was calling for rain over nelsons rock until 7pm. I asked if they were going to cancel, they said that there was a very slim chance that they would cancel. I drove half way there in the rain and called again. Still told that we were good to go. I got there in the rain and they told me they were going to wait a half an hour to see it the weather would change. Keep in mind it's still raining. They then told us we were good to go. We walked in the rain for a half an hour to the rock then they said it looks to slippery and they were going to have to cancel the climb and would refund my money. What a waste of my time and gas. If they are going to cancel they should give you some notice and let you reschedule for a different day. If your going to go call the day before and make reservations if you know the weather is going to be nice. Don't make them in advance.