“Mountaineer Is Our Home Away From Home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Grande Hotel At Mountaineer

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chester
The Grande Hotel At Mountaineer
You added The Grande Hotel At Mountaineer to your Saves list
Route 2, Chester, WV 26034   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Chester
Ohio
“Mountaineer Is Our Home Away From Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

We are from the Akron-Canton area and do have several casino/racino's closer to home we could frequent, and have been to them all. But we just don't like any including Wheeling Island which is about the same distance for us to travel, better than Mountaineer. The rooms are always clean, the food is always very good, including the $3.00 lobster at the buffet, and we win every now and again at the Casino. We take our granddaughters with us many times, and they enjoy the pool and hot tub, watching movies and the horses run. The employees are always super friendly, and very helpful. I can't say enough about Mountaineer's Grand Hotel. I do have to say I won't stay in the lodge at all as it's just not as nice as the tower except that it is great in the summer to get a poolside room, that's a plus. Would really be great if those rooms were renovated. The spa is totally awesome too! I like the coffee shop being closer to the gaming floor now instead of on the 2nd or 3rd floor where it use to be. There's also a huge fitness club available to hotel guests free of charge that has an outside pool just off of it, which is cool in the summer time. We have an RV that we have been permitted to stay in during the WV Derby, which we were asked to park behind the fitness club, which didn't break my heart. It was an awesome spot during the Derby and convenient to the pool and the casino and as always the Mountaineer staff were very helpful even when we were in our RV. Just a great place to go for fun and even the granddaughters love to go with us which is a plus! On another note, my company has held our company xmas party at Mountaineer 2 years in a row, and the banquet facilities are amazing and the food both years was FABULOUS..we had about 200 people in our group and not one complaint. We had between 50 and 60 couples spend the nite both years, and both years everyone voted to return. That says alot when that many guests walk away happy! My only suggestion would be to bring your own pillows...the pillows are way too hard and fat...

Room Tip: stay in the tower, anywhere!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
James S, Director of Hotel Operations at The Grande Hotel At Mountaineer, responded to this review, April 19, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post. We certainly appreciate the feedback. I will make sure that I forward this to the department managers so they can share your comments with the staff. Room renovations are underway here and the tower rooms should be finished by mid August and then the lodge rooms will get a makeover as well. As part of the big renovation, we will also be replacing all of the pillows. We hope you will like the new ones better. Thanks again for the positive review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Louisville, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

This was my second time at the casino, first time staying and the finances stayed multiple times. Very disappointed, from the rooms rates not what they were listed online to the smoke filled non-smoking room to the cold breakfast the next morning. $189 for a room, in the "old part, that was a dump especially when advertised for $125 on your website I knew then we should of stayed at the Holiday Inn. Can't complain about the casino because I have never experienced problems there. The room was dirty, and how do you not provide blankets for a bed! All in all, we will not be returning and will make the hour further drive to Wheeling.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
James S, Director of Hotel Operations at The Grande Hotel At Mountaineer, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post. We certainly appreciate your feedback. The rates that are on line are the rates that are offered at the hotel. If there are any specials or packages, they are also listed and confirmed at the time of booking. If you were dissatisfied with the accommodations, did you notify the front desk? We have housekeepers here 24/7 and would have been happy to have the room cleaned again or move you to more suitable accommodations. Further, we begin hotel room renovations next week and will have all remodeled rooms by the end of the year. Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to post.

Travelers are raving about these Chester hotels

Alliance, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

I have stayed here many times. I have gotten non smoking rooms. I always smell smoke in my room. It even comes in from outside. Ever hall is smoke smelling. You need a whole floor of non smoking. The rooms are staggered and it goes into all the rooms. I have asthma attacks everytime I am there. It stinks because its close and convenient but I cannot breathe when I am there.

Room Tip: Do not stay if you are a non smoker. down the road is a holiday inn that has true non smoking rooms
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
James S, Director of Hotel Operations at The Grande Hotel At Mountaineer, responded to this review, March 29, 2014
We certainly appreciate you taking the time to post. We do have both smoking and non-smoking floors in the hotel tower. The lodge it is a little more difficult as there are only two true levels to that building. We are starting hotel renovations next month and will be reevaluating the number of smoking versus non-smoking rooms so that it makes the most sense for the convenience and comfort of our guests. Again, we appreciate the feedback.
Aliquippa, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

Would appreciate a pet friendly room, would come a lot more often if that was possible. People are a lot messier than a small well behaved dog. Most casino's make it possible. \We love staying there in the suites, and no one would even know that my pet would be there. Have been there many times and heard my share of craziness in the halls, rather hear a dog.

Room Tip: corner suites are large and sunny, roomy and I love the beds. They are the best!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
James S, Director of Hotel Operations at The Grande Hotel At Mountaineer, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post and for the positive review. We certainly appreciate your feedback. Unfortuantely, we are not a pet friendly hotel. As a pet owner myself, I can certainly sympathize with you. However, we also have many of our guests who are allergic and have to be sympathetic to them as well. Again, thank you for the post and for your continued support. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
home
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

We staying in the newer area of the resort, on the six floor. We were warned about the smoke smell ahead of time. The room we stayed in was non-smoking, but the hallways did have a smoke smell. The room was much larger than anticipated. It was plainly decorated, but who needs glamour when you're there to gamble? We stayed on a Friday night and because our friends are frequent visitors and reserved a few rooms, we got a lower rate. We don't know if they take AAA, but I would ask if going there again. Our room, with two double beds was $129. plus tax which came to a little over $144. We could hear people coming down the hall late at night, so the rooms could use more of a sound buffer. The heater played morse code all night, as we heard the vibration of it quite a bit. It wasn't anything to complain about but was a little annoying at times. The bathroom was roomy, and the area inside the door had a mini refrigerator which was nice. A hairdryer was provided as was a small coffee maker. The mattress was very hard, and the pillow was lumpy. I could not sleep well at all.
The pool area was not used by anyone during our stay. It was a nice size, and there were two hot tubs, one on each end of the pool. When researching this resort, I was amazed that there were hardly any pictures or reviews about it. Overall, I would stay there again. The hotel was a convenient walk to the casino. This resort needs to update their website. It was difficult to find its name and address when typing in Mountaineer Casino. Overall, we had a good experience while staying here.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
James S, Director of Hotel Operations at The Grande Hotel At Mountaineer, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We certainly appreciate the feedback. We are planning to begin our hotel renovations in the second quarter of this year. We will be replacing furniture, mattresses, carpet, etc. Although we do not accept AAA discounts, we do offer special rates and packages throuought the year based on hotel availability. Thank you again for taking the time to post a review.
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

We like The Hotel. This wasn't our first stay. I have written other reviews. We like it and will stay here again. We had a room 2 doors from the elevator and on the 6th floor. Once in a while you hear people but that didn't bother us.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
James S, Director of Hotel Operations at The Grande Hotel At Mountaineer, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We certainly appreciate it. We are planning our hotel room renovation for early next year so things will get even better. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Thanks again for the post.
ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

My husband and I used our free night stay. It was our first time staying in the hotel. We had a king room/smoking. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice and clean the room was. And the bed was probably the most comfortable hotel bed I ever slept in. We're thinking of spending our 25th wedding anniversary there in December!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
James S, Director of Hotel Operations at The Grande Hotel At Mountaineer, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post and for the positive review. I will pass the positive comments on to our hotel housekeeping manager as well so that she can share them with her staff. Hopefully, you will come back and spend your anniversary with us. We look forward to seeing you then.

Been to The Grande Hotel At Mountaineer? Share your experiences!