“Great Rooms, So So Casino” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Grande Hotel At Mountaineer

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chester
The Grande Hotel At Mountaineer
You added The Grande Hotel At Mountaineer to your Saves list
Route 2, Chester, WV 26034   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Chester
“Great Rooms, So So Casino”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

The rooms in the newer part are very nice. The old part (Called the lodge) is very dated, worn.
Service was good. The sports bar had excellent food and great prices! The other main restaurant was just so so, although we only ate breakfast there. The friends we were with said the oatmeal was excellent. Service was terrible as we had a rude waitress.
Casino was on the smaller size and machines very tight. It is also very very smoky. Non smoking gambling room is very small. Pool looked nice although we didn't use it. Nothing else like entertainment in bars so gambling is it for this place. Nothing near it either. Ok to see and go there once, but think I would pass if asked to go again.

Room Tip: Do not get in what they call the lodge. It is a old hotel. Just say you want in the new part!!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

The hotel room itself could use better attention to detail- or maybe a better vacuum n dusting. Service was outstanding. When we couldn't figure out the ice machine they brought Ice to our room. The dealers and workers in the casino were very welcoming and patient for us new comers! Overall nice trip- even though we weren't big winners! :)

• Stayed December 2011
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

This was our second time to this casino. The rooms are fine, nothing fancy. The entire place has a smell to it. I think it is the smoke, all our clothes and my suitcase I brought had the smell. Yuck. Our room seemed to nead a "sprucing up". Bathromm looked like it could of been cleaned better. We had the couples massage in a very pretty spa. Rusty and Rhonda did our treatments. They were both very nice and very skilled. Apon arriving at the spa my husband was told happy birthday! Also, our champange and chocolate covered cherries were brought right away. They also had a nice spread of cheese ,fruit and vegtables. We had just eaten lunch so we really didnt eat any of that. We booked a Gambles package for $149. which was the room, 35%off at the spa and breakfast . I think that was a nice price. The spa made up for the basic room we had. We met a really nice dealer in the casino, at the Roulette table. His name was Joe. He was funny. The only weird thing that they do here is not give you bigger chips if you win. I guess you just keep spending your $1 chips down till you lose. We always put the higher chips away and come home with some money. I guess the casino "knows" what they are doing. We pretty much broke even, and came home with what we brought. Overall, it was okay. I just hate the smokey smell. They need to pump in clean air and the nice smelling stuff they use in the casinos in Vegas!! My husband is the gambler in the family and I think he had a great time, even though I was the one who one on the Roulette table. We met some nice people playing Roulette, they are usually a fun group. We had breakfast a tthe Gasby, was okay. Nothing special. last time we ate bruch at the Steak place. It was the best breakfast we had ever eaten. Unfortunaly this was no longer available. We were bummed about that. Oh well! I think for the price we paid we got what we paid for.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
New Castle, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

My husband and my wedding anniversary is on my mom's birthday. We thought we would take my 76 yr. old mom and my 77 yr. old aunt (her sister) on an overnight trip to celebrate the occasion. She uses a walker and hoverround so we made sure there was a handicapped room available for her and my aunt. We arrived about 2pm and checked to see if our rooms might be ready early. They were not but that was alright because my mom was ready to hit the slots! By 4pm though, she was ready to rest. When we checked on the rooms we were told that ours was ready but not the handicapped room. When we went to put our bags in our room, we saw housekeeping in my mom's room and asked when it would be ready (it was now 4:30) We told the employees that my mom was handicapped and very tired. They replied that they didn't care. Well that got us a little upset. We called the front desk and after being transfered at least 3 times we finally got the manager. He apologized and said that he would comp the room.We tried to make this a special trip for my mom so we ordered room service, a fruit tray and cheese and veggies. Both items arrived with part of the order missing. This was very disappointing and embarrassing. The next morning our bill arrived and the room was not comped. We had to go down and talk to the front desk. They told us that the manager went on vacation and they would have to call him, also embarrassing. After all was said and done, the room was comped but we would have gladly paid the money and had a more pleasant stay. We live about an hour north of Pittsburgh and it would have been so much easier to drive to the beautiful new Rivers casino The only reason we chose to go to Mountaineer was because it had an onsite hotel. I really feel that the management is making a huge mistake by not making sure that the service employees are doing a better job. This is an old casino. The hotel could be what keeps it profitable. I think that next time we will be looking for another casino with an onsite hotel even if the drive is a little longer.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Windsor, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

This resort was very nice, the rooms were well appointed and attached to a large casino. The casino has lots of slots to keep everyone happy. The disadvantage was there were parts of the casino that were dark and smokey not to my liking.The buffet was not very good, but there is a restaurant that had excellent food.
Overall a pleasant experience.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Canton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

We visit mountaineer more often than Wheeling but only because it's a little closer. I love betting on the dogs at Wheeling, but I would say in my opinion that the slot games are better at Mountaineer. The bartenders and servers are also very friendly. Never stayed at the hotel so I can't comment on that.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

Trying to get reservations for the hotel was difficult. You are put in a queue of calls for a long time. When you do reach the operator she is as pleasant as having hemorrhoids. We asked if there were any rooms and the response was no. We asked if there was a waiting list she said yes but you have to be present at the hotel in order to get on the list. We asked her if the list was long and the chances of being able to get a room. Her response was she isn't a psychic. We did drive over an hour hoping their would be rooms -when we arrived there was one room and it was smoking. While neither of us smoke we took it anyway since it was the only one left. The sink in the bathroom was stuck on hot water- could not turn it to cold. We asked if we could get bottled water in order to brush our teeth. The person at the front desk said I don't know. We never got the water. We mentioned that the room's carpet could not have been vaccuumed either- the manager that was there said we let the maids know all of the issues but never offered an apology or restitution. The seats in the casino are all ripped and stuffing is coming out of them. If you want to go for a weekend and have a pleasant trip- find another place.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Chester hotels

Been to The Grande Hotel At Mountaineer? Share your experiences!