“Good for the price” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 23 hotels in Charleston
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Good for the price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Stayed here twice enroute to the OBX of North Carolina, first night of the trip, and last night of the trip. First stay was in room 16, which was very clean and comfortable, but with an ill-fitting door that required slamming in order to close. The bathroom was especially nice for an old-style motel, with updated hardware and even had a "comfort height" toilet. For some reason, there was no coffee offered in the lobby that morning. The second night was in room 17, right next door. It was also quite clean (except for that brown spot under the toilet rim, that the maid must not have seen) and it also had an ill-fitting door that required slamming and the "carpet" trim was missing on the front wall, which made it look a bit shabby. Both rooms could use a lamp in the area at the back of the room where the table and chairs are placed, as it was difficult to see back there and all the lighting in the sleeping area seemed rather dim. There was coffee in the lobby on the second stay. The staff I encountered (owners,I presumed) were courteous and professional, but not what I would call friendly.
Overall, if you are on a budget, and just need a pillow for your head, this is a good place to go.

Room Tip: Rooms on the river side are probably quieter. Experienced some traffic noise on the road side.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

28 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I called the Budget Host Inn in Charleston, WV to make sure if I made a reservation online my daughter and friend could stay there that night. They were travelling and needed to rest and give their car a rest. I wanted to pay for the stay with my credit card, and when I asked the Indian sounding man if there would be a problem with me paying online for the room and letting them stay there, he told me several times I could not do that. He wanted me credit card info. When I said I could book the room online because I had all the info filled out and was ready to confirm it, and he again told me I could not do that. I said I don't want to give our my credit card info and he told me he would not give it to them (my daughter and friend). I told him I did not want to give it to HIM. I asked him if I made the reservation online would he allow them to stay there, and he told me "NO". So, I made a reservation online with Motel 6 in the area, called them before I completed the online reservation and asked the same question, and they said it was no problem as long as they had the confirmation number and driver's license, which they did. Thank you Motel 6.

Room Tip: I, nor my daughter, did not stay here.
Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I stayed here because of the low price and fairly decent reviews. Big mistake. There were ants all over the room and even on my pillow. There was a gap under the window with no carpeting which might be where they were coming from. Even though there were four of us in a double room, there were only two sets of towels. I called the front desk to ask for more towels, and the owner told me to come and get them. (Nice.) It was raining at the time, so needless to say the towels (and me) were damp. I asked the owner why there were only two sets of towels for four of us, and he said "motel policy". I don't know if he means Budget Host’s policy, or just his motel. I asked about breakfast, and he told me there was coffee at 7:00. I stopped by the office the next morning at 7:30, and there was no coffee anywhere. I asked the owner, and he told me very clearly that "coffee is at 7:00!". OK. The bathroom had an open pipe sticking out of the wall under the sink -- I hope nothing crawls out of there. The motel is just off an exit ramp, so it is difficult to get to from certain directions. It's also difficult to get back on the highway depending on which way you are headed.

Room Tip: Rooms either face the Interstate or the river -- ask for a river view (if you must stay here).
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised at every turn about this little motel. Pete was very nice and so helpful! And the motel office had such a wonderful fragrance! My room faced the river which eliminated most traffic sounds. They have a lovely little porch that overlooks the river where you can sit and meditate. The room was very clean and the bed was pleasantly comfortable. I enjoyed my stay immensely! I plan to return very soon.

• Stayed August 2013
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Average priced and very small motel. Location somewhat outside of Charleston, but close to I 77 and overlooks a river. No frills, room was small and could use an update, but it was very clean. Great place for a one night stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Very friendly and nice staff. It was a wonderful price for the room, and had a beautiful look over the river. It was a good distance away from Charleston, and the room was clean and had everything we needed. We would stay again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
virginia beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

stayed here while in town for a charleston wv minor league game and had a room facing the river and it was nice. room was clean and had a good selection of channels on the tv. close to downtown. rained out the game but it was nice sleeping weather. expect no frills.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Been to Budget Host Inn Charleston? Share your experiences!