“Fantastic, authentic Mexican cuisine” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #23 of 252 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Mexican
Durham, North Carolina
“Fantastic, authentic Mexican cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

This quaint little restaurant serves very authentic, delicious food- clearly cooked with love.The staff is all very friendly and give special attention to each guest. Nice margaritas. Delicious salsa. Foods very nicely seasoned.The fried bananas for dessert were superb. Not overly sweet. Very reasonably priced. Definitely will be on my list each time I visit Charleston.

Visited June 2014

West Virginia
“Not Your Typical Tex-Mex”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Probably the most authentic Mexican place in town with the best guacamole, not that green mud you get elsewhere. Service was OK if not great. Good selection of Mexican beers. Food is very good. The place is small and sometimes hard to get into but they are opening a second location across town that should help.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Food was good, service was rude! What happened to "The Customer Is Always Right"?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

Have visited this restaurant a number of times, but yesterday I was treated so rudely that I probably won't go back. I took a friend there for lunch who was visiting from out of town. We ordered from the lunch specials menue but were charged the amount on the regular menue. I ordered a chicken burrito lunch and when it was brought to the table I asked for cheese on the top. The waitress who delivered the plate immediately took it back and started to the kitchen, as she yelled to the cook/chef "This woman wants cheese on top!" Everyone in the restaurant could here her remark. The chef himself immediately returned the plate to my table (without the cheese) and informed me in a very rude tone that the burrito did not come with cheese. I then said that I knew that but would like cheese on mine. He turned around and left with my plate. It took what seemed like forever for the plate to come back to me with a small amount of melted cheese. My friend was already half way through her meal by the time mine was returned. There were probably only four or five other people in the restaurant having lunch, and they were already served. The incident was embarrassing to both me and my friend and she commented that she would have never expected such a rude response to such a minor request. I have referred people to the restaurant in the past, but probably won't do so anymore.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Marietta, Ohio
“Mi Cocina de Decepcion”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

We were very excited to try Mi Cocina de Amor for the first time, after a failed attempt to get in on Valentine's day of this year. Our experience started off very pleasantly, with the waitress giving us a warm welcome and taking our drink orders. However, when she came back to take our dinner order, we noticed that she did not actually write anything down--our first red flag. We started our meal with an appetizer of guacamole, which turned out to be nothing more than an expensive dish of bland avocado chunks. When our meal arrived, it was incorrect. Since the waitress had not written anything down, we were given hard tacos instead of the soft tacos we ordered with our combinations dos. The waitress gladly took our plates away and assured us that it would be fixed. When our new plates were brought to us, the waitress had completely switched the order. Instead of the combination dos that we ordered, she only brought us two soft tacos. So back to the kitchen she headed. Upon the last try, we finally received everything we had ordered--combination dos consisting of rice, beans, two soft tacos, and a cheese enchilada. The two soft tacos were sub par with minimal ground beef buried under a bed of lettuce. The cheese enchilada was overwhelmed by a thick layer of Chef Boyardee sauce (see photo). The rice was bland and slightly crunchy. The best part of the meal were the refried beans. We decided to finish our meal with an order of chocoflan. Big mistake. It was uninteresting and unappealing. Overall, our experience was not great. The restaurant itself was nice enough, but the food left us disappointed and wishing for our calories back. We will not be returning.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Charleston, West Virginia
“Third visit”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

This was our third visit within the few months we've lived here--obviously we liked the place, but our last visit makes us not want to return. We called ahead, but showed up and were seated at the big table at the front, and there were only two of us. It seemed like a waste since other empty tables for two could've been cleaned and used. After we'd been seated, the server decided to seat another man, whom we didn't know, at our table. Dinner took forever, and the food that was previously excellent on former visits was not very good today. The server took our order, but never returned! The chef brought out our food. Our empty, completely empty drinks were NEVER refilled. We were never checked on during the course of our meal. Dirty tables sat uncleared while people standing at the door, several groups, sat unseated for at least twenty minutes, despite urging that they had reservations. It was, all in all, a total disaster. And, we waited for at least twenty minutes for a check! Despite our enjoyment of the place the first two times, it would take a change for us to return. This saddens me because I previously had such a high opinion of this place.

• Visited April 2014