“NEWLY RENOVATED! MUCH IMPROVED!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Motel 6 Charleston

You added Motel 6 Charleston to your Saves list
Motel 6 Charleston
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   6311 MacCorkle Ave SE, I-64/I-77 at Exit #95, Charleston, WV 25304   |
Ranked #21 of 24 Hotels in Charleston
Dayton, Ohio
“NEWLY RENOVATED! MUCH IMPROVED!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

In spite of the negative reviews, I decided to check out this Motel 6 because the price was at least $10 lower than any other motels in the Charleston area. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that they are renovating the entire place. I was the very first guest to stay in my room.

New bathtub and shower surround, new toilet, new platform beds, mattresses, bedding & pillows. The wall-to-wall vanity with sink wasn’t new, but was clean and in decent shape. There was a modern towel cubby with light mounted next to the large mirror over the sink, and it appeared to be new.

New acoustic tile on the ceiling, all walls newly repainted with a pebbly surface. The color scheme was quite attractive, with what appeared to be new wall-hugging lamps above the beds and over the desk area. The carpet was replaced with vinyl(?) flooring in a woodgrain pattern. Much easier to keep clean – (and easier to tell if it isn’t clean). There was a new pleated curtain at the window, with heavy lining & a plastic rod to slide it open and closed. There are also new heating/air-conditioning units in the rooms.

My room had two queen beds, and a long unit with shelves at one end, a “desk” area in the middle, and several drawers at the other end. There was a TV on it, and a desk chair in the middle. There weren’t any arm chairs or table – but they might have those in some of the other rooms. Some rooms have WIFI available @ $2.99 for 24 hours.

(If you check out Motel6.com for Charleston motels, you can currently take a video tour of the Charleston West Motel 6 at Cross Lanes. They appear to have used the same color schemes, etc. in their remodeling. They have gone a bit farther in their renovating, with new sinks and counter tops – as well as new TVs. If those things are worth an additional $12 or so to you, then you should choose that Motel 6. For now, I’ll take advantage of the lower rates at this one.)

I was told that all of the rooms on the first and second floors – and half of the third floor – will be non-smoking. I commented on the ashtray in my non-smoking room, turned upside down with a prominent No-Smoking graphic affixed to the bottom. I thought this was contradictory, but I’m more understanding after it was explained to me. Although a guest may claim to be a non-smoker, the motel management can’t police them once they’re ensconced in the room. Whatever the rationalization may be, if someone in the room lights up, it is much safer for there to be an ashtray for them to use – rather than having them use wastebaskets, plastic cups, or the furniture to dispose of their ashes and extinguish the butts. It would be nice if everyone was as considerate as we would like, but some people aren’t.

As with any multi-story motel, only the guests on the ground floor have the chance to park outside the door to their room – and with this motel, that only applies to the front of the building. However, there seems to be adequate parking at both ends of the building, and there is an elevator in the middle of it – in the hall outside the small lobby.

The employees I encountered were quite friendly – on the phone and at the motel. Free coffee was available in the lobby in the morning, and there were vending machines and a free ice dispenser on the first floor. If you’ve checked out this motel in the past, and found it wasn’t up to snuff – I encourage you to give it another try.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Clayton, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2010

We stayed on a Sunday night just passing thru, 2 Adults, 2 Kids.
It was the halfway point of our return trip home. I had found them online a week earlier but waited & called when 2 hours away. Great Price was the same as advertised. Plenty of empty rooms when I called but was filling up fast as we arrived. Must be very popular. I noticed other families, couples & singles arriving including 1 lady asking to stay a second night.

Staff was friendly on phone & in person. Great location right off hwy & close to several eateries. Room was quiet even though near road & train tracks. We stayed in a non-smoking ground floor room on front of buidling. It was also clean with good a/c, curtains that closed all the way, microwave, dorm size fridge & plenty of hot water. We all had a good nights sleep.

Free morning coffee in office but no breakfast which didn't matter to us since the hotel we'd stayed at a week earlier had free breakfast & we didn't eat it as it was only cereal & muffins. We prefer make your own waffles at hotels.

Negatives:
Hotel is old & a bit run down. Shower surround was cracked in 1 place, tub looked to have been repainted but paint had peeled off & sink was cracked. There is cable but tv is small. No pool but that didn't matter as we checked in late & out early only wanting a clean, safe, low priced place to sleep for one night. You get what you pay for & everything was pretty much what I'd expected. No real complaints.
Not a bad place & a good deal for the money.
I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2010

As a Comedian, I travel and stay at a variety of hotels and motels. This by far was the worst I have ever been in. I spent my night swatting bugs. Crawling ones in the bed and flying ones too. The matress has long since out lived its usefulness and burn marks in quilt and rug everywhere. Build up of soap and scum, in the tub as well as on the floors. No shampoo and 1 wash cloth. The trash outside had set there way too long and was smelling ripe. All for $40.00. I suggest sleeping in your car at Wal-mart first.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Hambleton, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

First impressions say alot. when we arrived at out room, the front door was rotted at the bottom and all around the edges. We booked a nonsmoking room...when we entered the smell about made us sick. The lighting was horrible. The bathroom was covered in mold and mildew. Beds were extremely uncomfortable. No pictures on the wall. Was not impressed with anything. We have stayed at motel 6 before, but will never stay at another one after this experience.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2009

You know, the staff were great - better than many $100/night places I've stayed, but the room was dingy, the shower curtain was 10 inches too short and water leaked everywhere, there were weird smeary caulking stains in the bathtub and the shower nozzle was broken so we couldn't figure out where to find the happy medium between stinkin' hot and freakin' cold. We had googled hotels that accepted dogs, as we were traveling with our two medium sized dogs, so we didn't actually see the place beforehand - we were just traveling through. There indeed was no hassle about the dogs, but I'd pay extra money to have someplace clean. If we'd had our toddler son with us, I wouldn't have felt comfortable letting him crawl on the rugs - they were just old and dirty and smelled a bit funky. So did the comforter when I snuggled in that night - it smelled like some lady's perfume...yuck. It's worth the extra money for us next time to stop at a more upper class place, where the room has all functioning parts, is spotless and even maybe has a coffeemaker, or offers a continental breakfast. It's just sad to me that $50 can't even get us a decent room anymore. SO - great staff, no hassle pet policy but man, what a dump...Ohyeah - they advertised free wi-fi, but we could only access it when my husband had the laptop over between the sink and the tub, holding it in the air... :-)

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Charlottesville, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2009

We arrived at this location to check in and the staff were very friendly. After we find the room (nobody told us which direction and there were no signs) which is suppose to be non-smoking we open the door and are hit with rotten smoke. This room must have been smoked in for years. There is an astray in the room which has a no smoking sign on it (ironic), The room was decent except you couldn't breathe. I called around and no other hotels had any vacancy. I should have slept in the car. We recieved a wake up call at 0530 which would have been great if we requested one! Do yourself a favor and stay at the Motel 6 at the Cross Lanes. The difference between them are night and day. I did email Motel 6 and they sent a letter saying they would look into it.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2009

We ended up here on a road trip because the older places looked scary. This wasn't bad, just completely blah. The price was okay, at $51 for two. We ended up on the back of the ground floor behind a fence. The parking situation wasn't ideal, and the lot is in terrible shape. Our room was what you get at a Motel 6. Clean enough, small, boring. Our card did not work at first, so I had to run around the building to the lobby.

Of course, the next morning, I spotted a cute old motel on the way out of town.

• Liked — Clean and reasonable
  • Disliked — Dull, long walk from the little back lot to the room
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Motel 6 Charleston? Share your experiences!