“Great overnight stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Charleston/Kanawha City

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Express Charleston/Kanawha City to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Charleston/Kanawha City
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   107 Alex Lane, Charleston, WV 25304 (Formerly Comfort Suites Charleston)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Charleston
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
“Great overnight stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stopped here for the night while traveling. Easy access from I-77 and plenty of available parking. Room was clean and beds were comfortable. Hot breakfast was included with the room rate. Overall a very good place to stay and would recommend to friends.

Room Tip: Hotel is next to interstate so ask for room away from the roadside, or ask for lower floor.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
New Bern, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2014

We were traveling through this area and tried this hotel. It was very comfortable with larger than average rooms. The facilities were clean and we would definitely stay again. The hotel is right off the the expressway. Good price.

Room Tip: Double beds
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Knightdale, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

After driving 5 1/2 hours from NC towards Ohio, we decided to find a hotel and sleep for a few hours before continuing our trip. We booked a Holiday Inn Express in Troy, OH and since we are Rewards members, decided to stop at this location. We were able to get a room with two Queen beds and a pullout couch (three guys). The beds were comfortable and the pullout was adequate. We stayed on the second floor near the side facing the highway. We heard light traffic noise throughout the night but nothing major (my brother's snoring was louder!). Breakfast was good and check-in/out was easy. I would stay again (But ask for a room away from the highway side).

Room Tip: Ask for a room opposite the highway.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston/Kanawha City, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
Dear DMTripp,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments. As an IHG Rewards Club member you are one of our most important guests, and we greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention. We understand that having a comfortable stay is important and it sounds like we fell below your expectations. We are sorry for any inconvenience you experienced due to the noise. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Ferdinand G.
Medina, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

On our way to HHI from Ohio, we stayed at a Holiday Inn Express in Columbia, South Carolina. This location was beautiful for a HIE - see my other review from last week. I spent around $110 with tax for that hotel.

At this location, I spent nearly $130. This located is clearly a converted hotel. Other reviews speak to it formerly being a Comfort Inn, which looks/sounds about right. The room layout was a bit odd - the sink was outside of the shower/toilet area. Though, that's typical for hotels like a Red Roof, etc. So, it's not like it doesn't happen; I just wouldn't have expected it at a Holiday Inn Express. Was it a major issue? No.

The room was clean and updated in the last few years, is my guess. We did have a room against the highway. You could hear the noise, but only barely as we had the HVAC going. It didn't bother us, overall. It was a nice touch to have a fridge and microwave in the room. The kids used the pool/hottub and both worked and were clean. Bfast was good enough - the eggs were clearly some sort of "substitute." The wifi was slow - I tested it a few times and never got more than 1mbps down. That's barely good enough for email with any sort of attachment.

Overall, I found it to be a clean and safe hotel. I believe it's overpriced at $135 and even what i paid for it through Hotwire. It's a $79/night hotel before tax.

Room Tip: Ask for a room towards the front to avoid noise from 77, which is literally RIGHT next to the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston/Kanawha City, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Dear shumax,

Krysllin G.
Staunton, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

We wanted to stay at this Holiday Inn based on our past good Holiday Inn experiences. What a disappointment!!! After confirming that I was eligible for a substantial discount on the room as a corporate employee, I tried to go onto the HIE employee web site to book my reservation. Guess what! The IHG web side was down and requested that I call the IHG reservation line. After calling 4 times and giving my Rewards Club number 3-4 times EACH TIME to an endless loop recording, I gave up as I needed to get into my room for a video conference session. Imagine my surprise when I found that their "high speed internet" barely supported e-mails. The girl at the front desk desk said that "it happens a lot" and suggested that I try the lobby guest computer. Really!?!?!? A conference call in the lobby by the reservation desk??? I had to go to my cell phone to conference in at least the voice portion of the meeting. Not a good experience! On the bright side, the beds were comfortable and the breakfast lady was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston/Kanawha City, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Dear RickL1509,

Thank you for writing a candid review on your recent stay. We are very pleased to read that you found the beds comfortable and the staff helpful. On the other hand, it seems that our amenities, in particular the internet connection was a let down. Please accept our apologies for the shortcomings you have experienced. As for the corporate discount, your concerns have been forwarded to the respective departments and I am confident that appropriate action will be made to ensure this does not reoccur.

Your feedback is very important to us as this helps us gauge what we are doing right, and what we can improve on. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and concerns. We hope you would consider staying with us again when you can enjoy the hotel amenities.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

Holiday Inn Express is a favorite road travel brand of mine but this hotel was a major disappointment from poor customer service to way too few parking spaces to way overpriced for a minimally clean room that sits right next to the interstate.
When I arrived the the hotel staff at the registration desk couldn't even acknowledge me standing there let alone greet me like they understand that I have a choice of where to stay and spend my travel dollar. Add to that the housekeeping staff having a loud argument in the hallway outside my room before 9:00 in the morning and I think they need an intensive customer service course.
The small parking lot is way to small for a hotel of this size and it is shared with another hotel meaning there were not enough places to park either night I stayed and no alternative, lighted places to park. I felt unsafe in the situation.
Sits only yards from the interstate with blackout curtains that do not block out the interstate lights and the noise is pretty constant.
This hotel looks and acts like a $69 a night hotel not a $129 a night hotel. Convenient location for my business travel but I will not be staying here again. Definitely not my usual experience at a Holiday Inn Express.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston/Kanawha City, responded to this review, September 10, 2014
Dear K L,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. I am glad to hear that our location worked for your needs. I understand your stay is not 100% satisfactory. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience the noise challenges has caused you. We are also disappointed to know that you found the level of service you received less than satisfactory. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional details regarding your stay.

Once again, thank you and I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

John O
roseville, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

The hotel location is a bit odd to find unless you have a GPS, and the rest of Charleston is like that as well.

The staff was friendly and helpful, and my room was very clean.

Breakfast has improved unilaterally at all Holiday Inn Express, and this HIX has followed suit.

I will continue to use HIX on business travel as this is a good example of the consistency that I can expect.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Patrice L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston/Kanawha City, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Dear mk48066,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express-Charleston/Kanawha City. I am happy to hear that you are enjoying our new healther sections at the Holiday Inn Express Brand. We continue to look for ways to improve and we value our customers opinions.

We strive for excellance and glad we met your service and accomodation expectations. I will pass along to the team your comments. You are correct, it can be tricky to find us when your come off the exit and we are happy your GPS was able to get you here with little trouble.

We hope to see you again if your travels brings you to the area.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Charleston/Kanawha City? Share your experiences!