“Aweful Room Layout” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Charleston/Kanawha City

You added Holiday Inn Express Charleston/Kanawha City to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Charleston/Kanawha City
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   107 Alex Lane, Charleston, WV 25304 (Formerly Comfort Suites Charleston)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in Charleston
Columbus, Ohio
“Aweful Room Layout”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on January 10, 2013. I often pick Holiday Inn Express because most of them are newer and cleaner than other hotels. This hotel was clean enough but had a weird room layout where the bathroom sink was in the entry in front of the front door. This made taking a shower, shaving, etc. very awkward. The room also seemed thin,, distance between headboard and oposite wall seemed tiny and claustrophobic. Whoever made this room layout is FIRED!!
I was charged the TOP rate of $119.00 for my stay here.
The lady at the front desk was very nice though.
I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston/Kanawha City, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear russ m,

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We are happy you found the rooms clean. Your satisfaction is important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. I am truly sorry our hotel did not live up to your expectations especially with the room layout. I assure you the feedback will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments for possible improvement and upgrades.

I appreciate your loyalty and I hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

The place I chose to have my sons birthday party fell through, so in a last ditch effort to find another place that would be suitable for all of my guests, I looked into renting the conference room for 2 hours.
They flat out refused, and said that I had to rent it for the whole day (and that was over $200 or $250, dont remember). I asked them since it was the following day, and they had no other "renters", would they let me rent for the 2 hours for the price of a room (approximately $140 for 2 hours isn't a bad deal for them). They still said no, they'd rather have it empty. That made no sense in my opinion. They also refused to let me rent one of their biggest rooms for a toddler birthday party with 7 guests. Other hotels do it, and I think they should look into it also.

• Stayed August 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston/Kanawha City, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear TravelingMommy3,

Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express Charleston South as your hotel preference. It is our goal to consistently ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to provide rates that are competitive in the area. It sounds like we fell below your expectations. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we offer to our guests.

Lera M
Case Manager
IHGCare
New Bern, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

We stay at this hotel every year around this time. The people are pleasant and did give us a room where we asked. The hotel has been upgraded with larger tv, nice bed, etc. The picture on the TV was pure snow however and the traffic noise from the overhead highway rumbled all night.I would recommend a room mid hotel. We usually get a room near the end so we can move the car contents easily into the room on a cart...but the side door would not allow entry due to a low battery? breakfast was fine.

Room Tip: stay mid hotel in the front
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We stayed at this hotel last weekend and they accused us of having a dog in the room???? They then charged us an additonal $400 on our card! When we called management they said they could not do anything and the General Manager hung up on me. We had to file a police report for charging our credit card!!! Stay away from these criminals No wonder they are in a law suit for killing a guest and injuring over 10 others because of not installing CO2 detectors. The City should shut this Hotel down!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Midland, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We stayed here on our trip from Michigan to Charlotte, NC. Of the two HIE's we stayed at, this was the better one. Still, it is in need of some updating. The room was comfortable, however, and quiet. Internet worked well. We had no problem with parking. There is are several restaurants nearby including a decent Mexican eatery. The breakfast was fine, but my wife and I couldn't eat the pancakes that were made by a machine. They were rubbery and tasteless.

I give a lower grade to this hotel for value since at over $130, you expect more than mediocre.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Vienna, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

i try to stay at these locations whenever we can. it was hard to find this motel because the sign was hooked to a holiday inn. the room was pretty clean. we had a room secluded at the top of the stairs. but the breakfast was outstanding.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Stayed here for 1 night while in South Charleston for business. Was rather surprised by the condition of the property, old and run down. However, they were in the middle of renovations -- which caused the entire hotel to smell like paint fumes and oil/grease from the elevator shafts that they were working to repair. They offer breakfast in the morning -- its not bad but could use some tweaking. The eggs and potatoes were extremely salty, to the point that I aborted eating and went to cereal and toast. The staff was friendly and the room was average. The bed provided a decent nights sleep but that's about it. I am not sure I would stay here again. There are other options just a short drive away in downtown Charleston that I will probably consider.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Courtney R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston/Kanawha City, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
This is not the Holiday Inn Express Charleston South. The property you are referring to is the Holiday Inn Express Civic Center located in downtown Charleston. We are located at exit 95 I64 approximately 10 minutes from downtown. Thanks.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Charleston/Kanawha City? Share your experiences!