“Great hotel!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Charleston
Beckley, United States
“Great hotel!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this Hampton Inn for the first time. We were so pleased with this hotel, the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The room was very nice and clean. The hotel was just beautiful. We plan on staying at this Hampton Inn everytime we are back in the area. Such a great hotel!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

HamptonCharlestonMGR, General Manager at Hampton Inn Charleston - Southridge, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Jill M, Wow! Thank you so much for the nice review. We really appreciate the comments and are happy to hear that you will stay with us the next time you are in the area. That means a lot to us. We can't wait!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
London, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

For many years my only connection with Charleston West Virginia was flying in on my way between Washington DC and Cincinnati. For some reason some madmen in the FAA decided that if you cut the top off of a mountain, you could land a plane on it! Today with the STOL aircraft I am sure it is a much more enjoyable, but still harrowing adventure. I can remember flying into Charleston in an Electra Turboprop and writing my will on a cocktail napkin after seeing the airport from the air as we circled.

However, those days are gone and I am mostly an earthbound traveler these days. That is what led me to the Hampton Inn in Charleston West Virginia.

This is a great place to stay but if you don't pay attention to the directions when you book your room, you could get lost. We did! GPS and all. First of all, Southridge doe NOT mean it is in the south part of town. Imprint that on your brain.

Between the construction and the winding snakes that form the highways through Charleston, you have to be on top of your game to get off at the right exit and then hope that construction does not hamper your finding the hotel. So once again, get your directions down in triplicate.

Once you find it, you are home free. A great place with excellent staff. The morning buffet was more than adequate and there is even a pop machine with ice to get you on your way. There is also a free brown paper travel bag with some goodies in it that came in very handy.

One of the reasons, besides the great rooms and staff, is that you are handy to one of the best Mexican Restaurants in the Eastern USA; Las Trancas! It is 2 minutes from the hotel and you don't have to get back on the road to access it.

Read my review to complete your Charleston layover.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
northerwriter7, Thank you for the review! I am sorry you had difficulty traveling the roads through Charleston, but I'm happy to hear you made it. Thank you for the kind comments about the hotel and the surrounding shops and dining establishments. We would love to see you again!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

I had my 17 birthday party here, I am now going on 20 & I thought everything was wonderful, nothing in my room was dirty, broke or no smell or mold in bathrooms. I definitely enjoyed my stay and I'm seriously thinking bout having my 20th bday gathering here in September. The service was excellent :) thank you for the good stay

• Stayed September 2012
sierramichelle, Thank you for the kind review, and I'm happy you had a good time when you were here. We would love to see you again!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here many times before as a date night or outing with the kids to swim. We live about 30 minutes from there however when we went to check in they said "we can not will not rent a room to persons who live within 75 miles" of the hotel!! They were nearly empty had plenty of rooms! The front desk staff was not accommodating at all ! We went and stayed at Marriott downtown which was great! Their breakfast is second to none and much better than Hamptons warmed microwaved food and cereal! Even if they would rent to us we wouldn't return!

• Stayed August 2013
Severn, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We have been making quite a few trips back and forth between Maryland and Missouri since April of 2013 and have been staying at this Hampton Inn because of it's location. We have found that this particular Hampton Inn is in need of some serious updating. The bathroom fixtures are tired and in need of replacing. The refrigerator door would not stay closed; however, it was repaired when we brought it to the attention of the desk. The breakfast was terrible. One waffle maker was not working, one toaster was not working, the fruit bowl was empty and there was no butter. After eating my bagel I went back, hoping the fruit had been filled but it had not. I finally found the guy responsible and told him. He quickly filled it. The counter was also in serious need of being cleaned where people had spilled waffle mix. Better service is definitely needed at the breakfast bar. If we stay here again we will definitely walk over to Panera Bread.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
HamptonCharlestonMGR, Manager at Hampton Inn Charleston - Southridge, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Jeanne B, I want to thank you for the review, and I want to apologize for the service issues you experienced while you were here. These issues will be addressed and should not occur again in the future. We appreciate the continued stays you have made over the last few months and would love to see you again in the future!
wilmington, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Stayed two times two weeks apart with different experiences. Biggest pluses: this is the only hotel in the area with bathtubs you can actually lie down in and not break your neck from the sharp angle geared for people taking showers. (Beware you have to ask for a room with a tub because some only have showers.) First stay in a room on 3rd floor had urine-smelling bathroom and chewed tobacco lumps in night table drawer. Spray air freshener the cleaning staff gave us didn't help. Second stay on the 6th (top) floor had upgraded bathroom fixtures and was quieter although someone had obviously smoked in it. If you're allergic to feather pillows, you have to request foam. Hotel promises duvet covers are washed for each new guest, a nice assurance. As always, great free coffee available 24 hours. Oranges, apples, bananas, cut fruit mix, oatmeal, cereal available for healthy breakfast altho' unfortunately only brand of yogurt is Yoplait--the type colored with carmine (dead ground up beetles). Many stores and restaurants very close. When you find lines at the popular Olive Garden and Red Lobster, go 1/2 mile down the highway and enjoy our favorite, O'Charleys.

Room Tip: If you want a bathtub/shower combo (rather than only shower), you have to request it. Sixth floor ro...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
charlesthebarles, I want to thank you for the review and apologize for the issues with the first room. We have addressed these issue with housekeeping. I'm glad you enjoyed the breakfast offerings and the location. If you come through Charleston we would love to see you again!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

If this is the Trip Advisor top rated hotel in Charleston, WV, I don't want to step foot in the lesser ones. We stopped here last night on our way back to Ohio. The customer service and indoor pool were above average, but everything else was disappointing. The rooms are tired and in need of updating. The air conditioners referred to in reviews years ago are the same and still noisy; I thought it was a semi truck outside the first time it fired up. The bathroom WAS NOT CLEAN; pubic hairs on floor and toilet, walls stained or dirty. I just got a general "ick" feeling. The breakfast was the typical Hampton Inn fare, not fantastic. We've stayed in some nice Hampton Inns, but lately the ones we've been in have been dumpy and disappointing. Kinda makes me want to switch to Marriott. The only reason this got 3 stars instead of two is because of the indoor pool. It was great for the kids after 11 hours in the car. Either the "excellent" reviews are fake or Charleston does not have much to offer in the way of hotel accommodations.

• Stayed August 2013
OliverBuckFan, We did not meet your expectations and for that I apologize. The quality of our hotel is not reflected in the stay you experienced and you've given us many items that we need to improve upon. I thank you for your comments and I am truly sorry for the experience you had while at our hotel. I would hope that on a future date, you would give us the opportunity to show you that the issues you mentioned have been corrected.

Been to Hampton Inn Charleston - Southridge? Share your experiences!