“This is the top rated hotel? Yikes!” 3 of 5 stars

Hampton Inn Charleston - Southridge
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Preferred Place, Charleston, WV 25309   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Charleston
“This is the top rated hotel? Yikes!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

If this is the Trip Advisor top rated hotel in Charleston, WV, I don't want to step foot in the lesser ones. We stopped here last night on our way back to Ohio. The customer service and indoor pool were above average, but everything else was disappointing. The rooms are tired and in need of updating. The air conditioners referred to in reviews years ago are the same and still noisy; I thought it was a semi truck outside the first time it fired up. The bathroom WAS NOT CLEAN; pubic hairs on floor and toilet, walls stained or dirty. I just got a general "ick" feeling. The breakfast was the typical Hampton Inn fare, not fantastic. We've stayed in some nice Hampton Inns, but lately the ones we've been in have been dumpy and disappointing. Kinda makes me want to switch to Marriott. The only reason this got 3 stars instead of two is because of the indoor pool. It was great for the kids after 11 hours in the car. Either the "excellent" reviews are fake or Charleston does not have much to offer in the way of hotel accommodations.

• Stayed August 2013
HamptonCharlestonMGR, Manager at Hampton Inn Charleston - Southridge, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
OliverBuckFan, We did not meet your expectations and for that I apologize. The quality of our hotel is not reflected in the stay you experienced and you've given us many items that we need to improve upon. I thank you for your comments and I am truly sorry for the experience you had while at our hotel. I would hope that on a future date, you would give us the opportunity to show you that the issues you mentioned have been corrected.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

First, the staff was friendly and the welcome reception was a very nice perk.

This is an older property and not particularly clean. The bathroom has mold everywhere and there were washcloths hanging on the shower curtain rail from the last occupants, Ugh. The tub drain didn't work properly and there was very little hot water.

The pool was big and very nice with a whirlpool as well. We enjoyed it but had to report a guest drinking beer in the hot tub.

It really needs a large crew to truly deep clean this hotel. So many little things overlooked and believe me, they add up to a scruffy spot.

We slept well on wonderful beds and will hope that can make up for the rest of the problems.

Dear Poesjenel,

Thank you for your review. We are glad you chose our hotel during your stay here and we are very sorry that you ran into problems during your stay. We have fixed the bathroom issues and have addressed the other issues with our housekeepers. We hope the next time you are in the area you will stay with us again so we can have another chance at showing you what our warm Hamptonality is all about.
Winston Salem, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I was traveling with my mother and wanted to break up the drive between Pennsylvania and North Carolina. Charleston was about half-way, so I picked this Hampton Inn based on TA reviews. I agree that this is a top choice in West Virginia's Capital City area. It is about 4 miles off of 64/77, but well worth the brief "detour" as the hotel is in the midst of a major mixed-use area of retail and businesses. Thus, you have many dining choices around you and ample shopping should you need anything during your journey. We found the beds to be exceptionally comfortable and the room very quiet, so we slept well, which is not always the case when traveling. We did not make use of the business/pool/fitness facilities, but all looked to be in good order. The breakfast area was well-run and the offerings what I would call slightly above-average for a complementary buffet. Should I return to Charleston, I would certainly stay at this Hampton Inn.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

washpa, I appreciate the detailed review, and it is nice to hear you picked us due to our reviews here on TripAdvisor. Thank you for the compliments and descriptions about our location and amenities. If you come through Charleston again, we would love to see you!
Pataskala, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We had the most wonderful experience at this hotel. We slept so soundly, and when we woke up, it took us a while to realize we were not at home, we were so comfortable. Breakfast was awesome - nice and fresh, and plenty of protein (omelets, sausage, etc.), unlike most hotel breakfasts. We'll stay there again for sure!

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Michelle N, I can't think of a higher compliment to a hotel than yours about your wake up! Thank you very much. I am happy to hear you had a wonderful experience with us, and I look forward to your future stays!
Brooklyn Park, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I really enjoyed staying at the Hampton Inn. It was so clean and quiet. I was very happy with every part of my stay. I especially enjoyed the free continental breakfast and how clean the hotel was. The hotel staff was very helpful and made my stay very enjoyable! Thank you for everything!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Kim N, I'm happy to hear you enjoy staying at Hampton and that your stay was so pleasant. Thank you for the compliments and I look forward to seeing you in the future!
Clarksburg, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Overall the hotel is very nice. It is in a great location near many stores and eating establishments. I really liked the breakfast....much better than a usual hotel breakfast. It is a great way to start the day. The pool is very nice too!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Matthew K, Thank you for the review and the compliments. We appreciate them greatly. I'm glad you enjoyed the breakfast and the pool and I would love to see you again in the future!
Charleston, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

This hotel is perfectly located within walking distance of several places to eat. The room was great! Upon checking in, we were informed that they now offer free appetizers, soft drinks, beer and wine from 5:30-7:00pm every night. As usual, our stay was a good one.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
HamptonCharlestonMGR, Manager at Hampton Inn Charleston - Southridge, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Lisa L, Thank you for the review and I'm happy to hear you enjoyed our Manager's Reception, which runs from 5:30 - 7 PM (M-Thurs evenings only). It's great to hear that you enjoyed your room and had a good stay! We look forward to serving you in the future.

Been to Hampton Inn Charleston - Southridge? Share your experiences!