“Nice stay twice” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Charleston
“Nice stay twice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Seems that Charleston is a common place to stay the night if you are on your way from the midwest to North or South Carolina. Initially I reserved a room at the Holiday Inn Downtown, but their pool was not open, so they graciously called the Hampton Inn and allowed us to transfer our reservation there with no additional cost.

I was very pleased with the Hampton Inn both times we stayed this summer! It was off the expressway by a few miles, but worth the short drive. There are plenty of places to eat and shop within walking distance. Including a brand new Cabelas, which thrilled my hubby and kids.

The room was clean, and I love and appreciate their "Clean Duvet" pride. Comlimentary breakfast was wonderful, with both indulgent and healthy choices. The pool was clean, and did not have that overwhelming chlorine odor that I have experienced at many hotels.

My only complaint was that the bathroom in the room, both times, had an awful odor that we could smell as soon as we entered the room. The first stay, I chalked it up to that maybe staff "really had to go" or maybe lingering odor from previous guests. But the second stay, in a different room, had me wondering. I did notice that there was no fan or ventilation in the bathroom. Maybe this is the reason?

Overall, nice stay. I consider myself a cheapskate, so I did not like their price. But, considering safe, convenient location, pool, breakfast, and cleanliness, I will most likely stay here again next year when travelling to WV.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
HamptonCharlestonMGR, Admin Staff at Hampton Inn Charleston - Southridge, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Thank you for your kind comments. We are so glad you were able to stay with us again and that you will consider staying here the next time you come to West Virginia. We are sorry about the odor in the bathroom that appeared both times you stayed with us. If you would please call us at 304-746-4646 and let us know which room numbers they were, we can have our maintenance team check them out and correct the problem. Again, thank you for the kind comments and we hope to serve you again in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Springfield, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I have stayed at this establishment every August (for a family reunion) since they opened and have always enjoyed my stay, until this year! I was shocked to discover that the cleaning lady had taken my Urban Decay & MAC make-up along with my kids ipod shuffle. Not only were my things stolen, but the manager, Mike Carnemolla, never called me back as promised.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
HamptonCharlestonMGR, General Manager at Hampton Inn Charleston - Southridge, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Thank you for your comments, I am sorry for the incident that occurred during your stay. As discussed in our prior phone conversations, I hope the agreement we were able to come to with yourself and the other members of your party is to your satisfaction. I, again, apologize for the incident and wish you to know that we have addressed the issue with our staff and we are implementing stronger safeguards to ensure this doesn’t happen again. As a repeat visitor, I sincerely hope that you will return, to show you that we have addressed all your concerns and serve you in the future. If there is anything more that you wish to discuss with me, please call me at 304-746-4646 and ask for Mike Carnemolla.
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

Hotel was comfortable and staff was friendly. Room was on the small side but good for one night. Breakfast was limited but having free sodas was unique for a hotel breakfast. Location was nice with a lot of restaurants and shopping nearby.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
HamptonCharlestonMGR, Admin Staff at Hampton Inn Charleston - Southridge, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Thanks for the comments and I’m happy that you found the staff friendly and the rooms comfortable. I will check into the breakfast offerings to see if we can expand it a little and I’m glad to hear you enjoyed the free soda. I hope you will give us the chance to be your hotel in the Charleston area again in the future!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

Little mixup on room when we tried to check,but the staff resolved the problem in a short period of time. The room was very clean and comfortable. The continental breakfast was very good. All of the staff was very helpful and courteous. All and all was a very nice stay.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
I’m sorry about the mixup, but I’m very glad we were able to get it fixed to your satisfaction quickly. Thank you for the compliments on the room, staff and breakfast. I hope we can serve you as your getaway hotel again in the future!
Charlottesville, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Room and service fine, our room was on busy side of hotel but still reasonably quiet. Breakfast area/lobby larger and nicer than most Hamptons. Mixed location: Good in being located in midst of active commercial area with numerous dining choices nearby plus gas and ample retail, bad in being about 5 miles off I-64 so a bit out of the way for travelers. All in all, it made for a nice stopover on a long driving trip.

Room Tip: Backside of hotel probably quieter, away from parking lot and commercial area.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
HamptonCharlestonMGR, Admin Staff at Hampton Inn Charleston - Southridge, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Thank you for the nice review! I am glad you enjoyed your stopover with us and that you liked the proximity to the dining and shopping that surrounds us. Thank you for staying with us and I hope to see you again when you have another trip through the area!
Waterford, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Stayed at the hotel en route to family vacation spot. Chose it because of others's ratings. It cost about $155 for a double. Rooms were clean, beds were better than others. Some of the bathroom was showing signs of age (cracked tub insert, etc.), but still a decent place. Reception was luke warm when we checked in. The gent the following morning was warmer. Plenty of local eateries near-by from fast food to Paneras, from Olive Garden to Bob Evans. Didn't have the great experience others recounted, but wasn't bad. Breakfast was wanting and should be area the hotel might want to invest in improving. I'd stay there again I guess.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
HamptonCharlestonMGR, Manager at Hampton Inn Charleston - Southridge, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Thank you for the review. I am sorry that you had a less than stellar reception at your check in and will bring that to our Front Desk’s attention. I am pleased that you enjoyed the great number of dining possibilities that exist within walking distance, and I apologize again for the experience you had at breakfast. I will be sure to see that it is corrected. If you would like to talk to me about any aspect of your stay, please call me at 304-746-4646 and ask for Mike Carnemolla. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again.
Charleston, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Most hotels in Charleston and older outdated and overpriced. This Hampton is one of the better I have stayed in. Its close to many places to eat. I loved the free soda fountain in the lobby. All hotels should do this.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
HamptonCharlestonMGR, General Manager at Hampton Inn Charleston - Southridge, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Thanks! I appreciate your kind comments and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed our free drinks in the lobby. We think all hotels should do it to! I hope to see you again!

Been to Hampton Inn Charleston - Southridge? Share your experiences!