“Unexpectedly nice stopover” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Charleston
Charlottesville, VA
“Unexpectedly nice stopover”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Room and service fine, our room was on busy side of hotel but still reasonably quiet. Breakfast area/lobby larger and nicer than most Hamptons. Mixed location: Good in being located in midst of active commercial area with numerous dining choices nearby plus gas and ample retail, bad in being about 5 miles off I-64 so a bit out of the way for travelers. All in all, it made for a nice stopover on a long driving trip.

Room Tip: Backside of hotel probably quieter, away from parking lot and commercial area.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
HamptonCharlestonMGR, Admin Staff at Hampton Inn Charleston - Southridge, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Thank you for the nice review! I am glad you enjoyed your stopover with us and that you liked the proximity to the dining and shopping that surrounds us. Thank you for staying with us and I hope to see you again when you have another trip through the area!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Waterford, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Stayed at the hotel en route to family vacation spot. Chose it because of others's ratings. It cost about $155 for a double. Rooms were clean, beds were better than others. Some of the bathroom was showing signs of age (cracked tub insert, etc.), but still a decent place. Reception was luke warm when we checked in. The gent the following morning was warmer. Plenty of local eateries near-by from fast food to Paneras, from Olive Garden to Bob Evans. Didn't have the great experience others recounted, but wasn't bad. Breakfast was wanting and should be area the hotel might want to invest in improving. I'd stay there again I guess.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
HamptonCharlestonMGR, Manager at Hampton Inn Charleston - Southridge, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Thank you for the review. I am sorry that you had a less than stellar reception at your check in and will bring that to our Front Desk’s attention. I am pleased that you enjoyed the great number of dining possibilities that exist within walking distance, and I apologize again for the experience you had at breakfast. I will be sure to see that it is corrected. If you would like to talk to me about any aspect of your stay, please call me at 304-746-4646 and ask for Mike Carnemolla. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again.
Charleston, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Most hotels in Charleston and older outdated and overpriced. This Hampton is one of the better I have stayed in. Its close to many places to eat. I loved the free soda fountain in the lobby. All hotels should do this.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
HamptonCharlestonMGR, General Manager at Hampton Inn Charleston - Southridge, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Thanks! I appreciate your kind comments and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed our free drinks in the lobby. We think all hotels should do it to! I hope to see you again!
baltimore md
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

This is a great fine the hotel near downtown but far enough away and have more then you can find downtown charleston.
Staff and hotel 5 rating
So many choices of places to eat shop
Gas station and car washes near
Easy to fine

• Stayed July 2012
Thank you for the review! I appreciate the comments about our location and staff. I hope to see you again and am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay!
Gaithersburg, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

for a good night sleep and a peaceful stay in Charleston, WV. Typical Hampton style know around the country; great hospitality, great night sleep, clean facility all around and good complimentary breakfast. Also, the indoor pool, sauna, exercise room, laundry room and plenty of nearby restaurants will be a bonus for some travelers.

Room Tip: Restaurants are off site but dinner delivery is available
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
HamptonCharlestonMGR, Admin Staff at Hampton Inn Charleston - Southridge, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
We always like to think that we’re "the right place" , but it helps to hear our guests say it ! Thank you for the positive review. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us and also that you liked our location and amenities. We hope to serve you again!
Triangle, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Over 20 years we have stayed at different Charleston hotels on our way from home in North Carolina to the Mid-West. This hotel was a great find. It is in a good location for all levels of restaurants. It is also in a quiet location, no trucks, and no freight trains. What a peaceful night’s sleep! The room was clean and the bed was awesome! We will be staying here from now on!

Keep up the good work!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much! I’m glad to hear that you had such a restful night. I look forward to seeing you again during your travels through Charleston!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Just completed a long, long stay at this hotel, usually four nights a week. I tried a number of hotels in the Charleston area and this one is hands down the best for the business traveler. Many of the other hotels are old and tired. This hotel shows only negligible signs of wear. It's about 10 minutes from the other downtown hotels, but no outrageous parking costs or inconvenient 1 way streets.

Over my long stay I encountered only a handful of issues, probably less than I would at home. Staff was friendly and always quick and responsive to any problems.

The only complaint I have of this hotel is the at times painfully slow internet.

PROS:
The staff and management.
Breakfast is good with many choices (even for the kosher traveler).
Comfortable beds.
Quiet, walls nearly soundproof.
I think they have the largest fitness center in Charleston with a nice pool and outdoor lounge area.
Near many stores and restaurants, yet still quiet.
Daily managers reception
Free fountain soda in the lobby

CONS:
Slow internet (though I understand they are working on increasing bandwidth)
Loud HVAC. This isn't unique to Hampton, I've had this many places. Always bring earplugs if you are sensitive!
In some rooms the work desk is right near the HVAC making it very cold to sit there.

Free soda in the lobby ;).

Overall, the best place to stay in Charleston.

Room Tip: Try to avoid adjoining rooms, I once had a smoker next door and the smoke filtered in.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
I love to hear from our long-term guests about how their stays are! I do apologize for the slow internet speed you experienced and we are indeed working on a solution to increase the bandwidth for our guests. Thank you for your words about how responsive and friendly the staff was as well. I am grateful for the many PROS you included in your review and will try to see to it that your CONS list gets eliminated by the time you return. I look forward to seeing you again!

Been to Hampton Inn Charleston - Southridge? Share your experiences!