“The right place...” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 23 hotels in Charleston
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“The right place...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

for a good night sleep and a peaceful stay in Charleston, WV. Typical Hampton style know around the country; great hospitality, great night sleep, clean facility all around and good complimentary breakfast. Also, the indoor pool, sauna, exercise room, laundry room and plenty of nearby restaurants will be a bonus for some travelers.

Room Tip: Restaurants are off site but dinner delivery is available
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
HamptonCharlestonMGR, Admin Staff at Hampton Inn Charleston - Southridge, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
We always like to think that we’re "the right place" , but it helps to hear our guests say it ! Thank you for the positive review. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us and also that you liked our location and amenities. We hope to serve you again!

248 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Triangle, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Over 20 years we have stayed at different Charleston hotels on our way from home in North Carolina to the Mid-West. This hotel was a great find. It is in a good location for all levels of restaurants. It is also in a quiet location, no trucks, and no freight trains. What a peaceful night’s sleep! The room was clean and the bed was awesome! We will be staying here from now on!

Keep up the good work!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much! I’m glad to hear that you had such a restful night. I look forward to seeing you again during your travels through Charleston!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Just completed a long, long stay at this hotel, usually four nights a week. I tried a number of hotels in the Charleston area and this one is hands down the best for the business traveler. Many of the other hotels are old and tired. This hotel shows only negligible signs of wear. It's about 10 minutes from the other downtown hotels, but no outrageous parking costs or inconvenient 1 way streets.

Over my long stay I encountered only a handful of issues, probably less than I would at home. Staff was friendly and always quick and responsive to any problems.

The only complaint I have of this hotel is the at times painfully slow internet.

PROS:
The staff and management.
Breakfast is good with many choices (even for the kosher traveler).
Comfortable beds.
Quiet, walls nearly soundproof.
I think they have the largest fitness center in Charleston with a nice pool and outdoor lounge area.
Near many stores and restaurants, yet still quiet.
Daily managers reception
Free fountain soda in the lobby

CONS:
Slow internet (though I understand they are working on increasing bandwidth)
Loud HVAC. This isn't unique to Hampton, I've had this many places. Always bring earplugs if you are sensitive!
In some rooms the work desk is right near the HVAC making it very cold to sit there.

Free soda in the lobby ;).

Overall, the best place to stay in Charleston.

Room Tip: Try to avoid adjoining rooms, I once had a smoker next door and the smoke filtered in.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
I love to hear from our long-term guests about how their stays are! I do apologize for the slow internet speed you experienced and we are indeed working on a solution to increase the bandwidth for our guests. Thank you for your words about how responsive and friendly the staff was as well. I am grateful for the many PROS you included in your review and will try to see to it that your CONS list gets eliminated by the time you return. I look forward to seeing you again!
Bloomington, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

This hotel was very nice. It was in a great location, right next to plenty of sit-down as well as fast-food restaurants, a wal-mart, and within walking distance of a chuck-e-cheese and toys-r-us. The lobby area and pool area are so clean and look amazing. I stayed at this hotel once on the way to Virginia Beach and we liked it so much that we decided to stay there on the way back home as well. On the first visit our room was not ready by the time that we had arrived to check-in and we had to wait 30 minutes, but we were pleasantly surprised when they offered dinner on them in return for the inconvenience. All they had left was a 40 dollar gift card to chuck-e-cheese, but that was fine with us. On the second visit the area had just gone through a major storm-related power outage and the hotel had been without power for 3 days. They had just received their power back on the day we arrived so they were completely over their head with the amount of work they needed to do. The computers were down so we did not receive our key-card for many hours after checking-in, but the staff was very accommodating and calm and we understand that this was not their fault at all, and they handled the situation very well. The only problem we had was that due to their water being cut off, the hot tub that we had in our room and paid extra for was spitting out nasty brown stuff from the jets due to lack of use. However they compensated by reducing our bill by 50% which was very satisfactory. The rooms were a little pricey but I think it is worth it for the quality. Also the free fountain drinks were great and breakfast was perfect for a complimentary hotel breakfast. Overall this hotel is amazing and I will stay here any time I am in the area in the future :)

Room Tip: The view is much better on the front side of the hotel!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank You! I’m glad you chose to stay with us twice and that you are so understanding about the issues we faced during the massive storm power outage. We’re so happy to take care of our guests and while it was made more difficult by the situation, I’m pleased that you feel we handled it well. I will pass your kind words on to our staff as well. I’m glad that you think our hotel is amazing and I look forward to your future stays with us!
Morgantown, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

This is the second time we have stayed at this Hampton Inn. The hotel itself is up to Hampton Inn usual high standards of clean and comfortable. All of the staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful. The ladies did a wonderful job with breakfast. I would recomend this place to anyone.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Admin Staff at Hampton Inn Charleston - Southridge, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Thank you! We love to hear from our guests, and are especially grateful that you took the time to give us such a kind review. I am happy that the staff was so helpful and friendly to you and that you would recommend us to anyone. That means a lot! I look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in Charleston.
Southern Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012 via mobile

Just take my word for it; this place is nice! The only negative is that it's a bit off the beaten path if you are traveling through on the interstate. This stay was for leisure with my family. The swimming area is almost luxurious. Check the oversized hot tub out!

• Stayed May 2012
Thank you for the review! I am glad you liked the swimming pool and Hot tub. We are about 4.5 miles from I-64 at the Oakwood Rd exit (58). I like to take either the MacCorkle avenue exit (54) if I'm traveling east or the Kanawha Turnpike Exit (54) if I'm traveling west and follow Jefferson Road to 119 to beat the traffic. It seems a lot quicker that way. I hope you try it out the next time you are here, and I look forward to seeing you again!
Clermont, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Hats off to Manager and staff, were great in everyway. Hotel clean, great location
for convenience.
Our Anniversay and my 75ht birthday were given Hallmark cards and signed by
all of staff that was incredible for them to take time to do that.
Will always stay at Hamptons.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
I am so glad that you had such a great 75th Birthday and Anniversary, and took the time to tell us how we did. We were honored and happy to help make your special day a day to remember. I hope to see you again anytime you are in Charleston. Thank you for choosing us.

Been to Hampton Inn Charleston - Southridge? Share your experiences!