“great location, will make reservations for next year” 4 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Virginia Street West, Charleston, WV 25302-2357   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in Charleston
Missouri
“great location, will make reservations for next year”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

As always, Hampton Inn's are a great place to stay with consistently quality beds and clean rooms. The service was great, the free wi-fi was very handy considering I was doing a lot of business related work while I was on my working-vacation. The breakfast was wonderful with plenty of choices and excellent service. This location is just a block away from the Civic Center and the Town Center Mall and the Boulevard of Kanawha River. This also happened to be the Charlie West Blues and BBQ Festival so we could walk to the attractions with no problem.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

My colleague and I stayed here not knowing what to expect. We were delighted about our decision to stay at the Hampton Inn Charleston. The staff was wonderful. Deborah at the front desk was lovely. Roy, the shuttle driver, was the nicest and most accommodating. The rooms were nice and clean. The breakfast was wonderful, not your standard continental breakfast by any means. It was a true southern experience. If I return to the city, I'm staying here!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Barnesville, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

As always, the Hampton Inn provides fresh clean linens for each guest (yes, they wash the duvet!), along with hot breakfast every morning. The bed was comfortable, flat screen TV, impeccably clean bathroom. Coffemaker, iron, and toiletries available in room. USA today at your threshold. I always try to stay at this chain wherever I go- not because it's glitzy, but because it's reasonably priced, clean, and you ALWAYS know what you're going to get. What I want to highlight about this trip: the hotel is located near a bridge/freeway, which does create some noise. As a light sleeper, my first night here was a little difficult. I politely asked (knowing they were fully booked for a conference), if they had any chance to move me, could I get a room away from the freeway. Without hesitation, they accomodated me to the best of their ability, apologized for the inconvenience (which wasn't needed- it's not their fault), and offered to move my belongings for me. This customer service is why I will return year after year.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, ask for a room at the back of the hotel toward the river. Pool was c...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

My husband and I came to the Hampton Inn because of my friends wedding and it just happened to be where everyone else was staying. I was hesitant about what I was going to find after reading some of the reviews, but I was pleasantly surprised. Upon arrival and check-in, the manager was there and helped me check in. After finding out that I had a large load to carry in (I was making the wedding cake and needed to bring a lot of stuff with me for finishing touches the next day), she quickly allowed me to change my room to the first floor right near an exit door. The room itself was very clean, the bed was comfortable, the bathroom stocked with everything we needed. There was adequate space for me to store all of the cake supplies without taking up the entire room. The pull out desk was a great help and allowed me space to work on some finishing touches and do some work.

Throughout our stay we took advantage of the free breakfast provided in the lobby (which was nicely decorated and clean). The breakfasts were great and the staff was very helpful and quick to replenish food as needed.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room with king bed. It also had a mini refrigerator and microwave which was a very ni...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

This Hampton Inn is a nice place to stay with one unfortunate exception: its location. The hotel is situated right next to a major highway. I felt tensed up from the constant whoosh of the passing cars and trucks. If highway noise doesn't bother you, then this hotel is nice enough. It has a friendly staff and the rooms are pleasant.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
amandafsmithson
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012 via mobile

I stay at Hamptons a lot when I travel and this one is just what you would expect. Good staff good rooms good lobby. Not the Ritz, of course. location is a little tough to get to (between interstate and river with one way streets) but it is close enough to the water to make for good morning runs.

• Stayed March 2012
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

The hotel is recently renovated and shows what sparkle an older property can acquire with the right touch. It is convenient to a downtown shopping mall (with food options) and convenient to the I-64 freeway. The high speed internet works well and the breakfast was attractive. We spent a night here as a stopover on a long road trip and found it to be one of the most pleasant hotels, although the room was a bit small. One suggestion for any one planning to stay in Charleston--get good directions for the freeway exits, since the ramps are confusing and hotels are not always visible. We picked out the Hampton after two other interchanges proved fruitless, and we literally stumbled upon it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hampton Inn Charleston - Downtown? Share your experiences!