“Good pick” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Charleston
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
“Good pick”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I picked this hotel for my boyfriend's birthday weekend and I was pretty satisfied with my choice. The hotel was very nice and clean despite going under some exterior renovations. We had a suite which was gorgeously decorated with bright patterns and textures. The hotel had asked me online for requests such as extra towels and pillows which I said "yes" to, but when I checked in they just placed me in a room so these extra amenities were not there. The breakfast was delicious with many options to choose from, hot and cold. One thing that I was not happy about was the extra charge placed on my debit card which was not disclosed to me. The hotel has a small "market" in the lobby with snack foods, drinks, and the like which can be ordered and brought to your room. When I check my debit card account I noticed the bill was $40 more than my emailed receipt said it would be; when I asked about my bill being much higher than expected they told me it was an automatic charge added to everyone's bill in case they ordered something from the market. Since I did not order anything the $40 was refunded (3 days after checkout!) but I still thought it was ridiculous I was not notified at all that I would be charged this extra amount.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

I just stayed at this hotel last night. The hotel was nice and the staff was friendly. I was there for business and needed to get some work done in preparation for a customer meeting based on some information that was provided by a colleague just before I got there. The Internet connection, while free, was a complete joke. I ran an Internet speed test and the download speed was .18 and upload was .31 Mbps. I have never seen a connection so slow and it caused me to be awake until 4:00 AM. I tested my 3G connection from my iPad and it was 5.88/1.07. Not again.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Greg B, General Manager at Residence Inn Charleston, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Residence Inn in Charleston West Virginia. We are always interested in our guest comments and appreciate being made aware of their experiences.

We are very sorry that the internet was not performing as it should, and caused you to lose sleep. We always want our guests to be productive during their stay and have the ability to use the services that we offer. We also want them to have a relaxing stay which you did not.

We have since contacted the internet provider and they resolved the issue that was causing the bandwidth issue.

Thank you for your comments on the friendliness of our staff and for relaying your experience, they will be shared during our daily huddle with the entire staff.

Once again thank you for your comments and we hope that you will consider giving us another chance.

Greg
Findlay, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Stayed there overnight when moving my daughter. Great front desk staff who were very pleasent and helpful. Room was very clean. The breakfast was pretty much typical but good.
A little off the beaten path. Stayed here because it was pet friendly and my daughters two dogs were with us. The room price was goo but the dog cleaning fee of $100 was a bit high sibce other hotels in area were about $40. Definitely would stay there again but with pets?????

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

This Residence Inn is just off the interstate, tucked away in a corporate area. We almost thought we were in the wrong location. There are no restaurants or stores close by, which disappointed us at first, but downtown Charleston is only minutes away. Our first impression was not particularly good. As we entered the building there were 2 women (staff) seated on the ground by the entrance, smoking. We had made a reservation weeks before, but there were few rooms left, and none with a view of the beautiful WV mountains. There are no king beds, all single queens. But, our room was clean and seemed to be updated with relatively new furniture and nice linens. We had no issues with our room and spent a very quiet night. Breakfast was great. Besides the usual fare, there were scrambled eggs, sausage, potatoes, waffles, etc. The woman who oversaw the breakfast room was very helpful and kept all items filled and ready for guests. There is a little selection of food items in a pantry for sale which included frozen meals, snacks, drinks and even wine and beer. Overall, a nice experience and staff friendly.

Room Tip: When making a reservation, ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

nice people, great breakfast, with a lot of choices, clean..the only ding is the location. its not near much..about 15 mins away from town. I enjoyed the stay, and would return if i passed through. breakfast area was a tad too small.

• Stayed June 2013
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Stayed one night on the way to North Carolina. Hotel was easy to find, plenty of parking. Very courteous front desk staff. Room was clean and roomy. Quiet and got a good nights rest. Would definately recommend and stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

This was our #1 favorite of four Marriott properties we stay at while traveling to Lexington, KY for a family wedding. We had a two-bedroom suite, which was modern, clean and comfortable. Both bathrooms were spotlessly clean, too. The kitchen had a full sized refrigerator, which was ideal. What set this Marriott apart from the others was the staff. As another reviewer said you feel like you are surrounded by good friends. Both Jennifer at reception and Mich in the kitchen made us feel like family; they really cared for us from Jennifer's suggestion for food delivery to Mich getting us each one of his specially prepared breakfast parfaits. Marriott is fortunate to have employees like these two people.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Residence Inn Charleston? Share your experiences!