“Great experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Charleston Plaza Hotel

You added Charleston Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
Charleston Plaza Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1000 Washington Street East, Charleston, WV 25301 (Formerly Fairfield Inn Charleston)   |
Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in Charleston
“Great experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2007

Booked this room for one of my staff members who was in Charleston for a business meeting. He stated that the room was very comfortable, clean, and appeared to have been recently upgraded in terms of bedding/furnishings. He was pleased with the free breakfast and noted the availability of Jimmy Dean sausage biscuits that were quite tasty. Staff he encountered were friendly and helpful. Room rates are reasonable given the level of accomodations and location is convenient. Easy access to I-64/77, downtown offices, and Capital Complex.
Would definitely book here again given this staff person's experience.

Stayed June 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Baltimore, MD
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2007

We chose this location due to it's location, right off the I-64 and close to the Clay Center Museum. We have always stayed at Marriott's; they are our favorite.
No breakfast as advertised unless you like cold hard boiled eggs.
We were moved twice during our stay. Rooms are not clean, bathrooms are worse. Hotel is very run down and needs a major renovation.
Housekeeping folks are nice, but they are expected to clean up rooms that are a disaster.
We will not ever stay here again, we will and have chose the Marriott downtown and the Residence Inn near the airport.

• Liked — Coffee from the Lobby
  • Disliked — Room/bathroom
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Huntington, WV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2007

Quick overnight for my husband's early morning presentation at CAMC. Honestly, I just didn't expect much and was pleasantly surprised. The room was very clean. Looked nice. Bedding was nice, pillows were just okay. All down pillows. The down side was a unit ac/heat unit, I kept waking up hot or cold. I went to work the next day very tired as I hadn't slept well at all.

The complimentary breakfast was much nicer than most that I have seen. Complete with Sausage/Egg/Cheese biscuits in a fridge to be warmed up. I just hadn't seen that yet. Waffle maker. Not a bad selection, but I didn't take a closer look than that.

His company paid for the stay, so price didn't really matter. Would I pay $95.00 for it...no. I'd find something without the wall unit.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Wall unit for heating & cooling
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Virginia Beach, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2006

My family was traveling from Virginia Beach to Indianapolis for the XMAS Holiday. We arrived in Charleston at 1:30 AM and we were greated by the Fairfield's friendly staff- check in was a breeze and all was in order despite our LATE arrival. We had a great continental breakfast in the morning. The rooms and hotel were clean and acccomadating. This hotel is located right off the interstate which makes it very convenient for travelers. I also wanted to say that we got our room for $74.00 a night. Our original quote was $92.00 but after researching the internet I found a rate on ORBITZ for 74.00 a nite. I called the hotel and they gladly matched the rate!

• Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2006

I checked in super late for a brief one night stay. My flights were all delayed. I was exhuasted. Front desk staff was cheerful and efficient. My room was clean. I got my packages immediately. I woke up early and front desk quickly called me a cab. I had a great night sleep and was able to give my 7am presentation with a smile.

• Liked — Staff
  • Tips/Secrets — Great for sleeping and working.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dallas, Texas
2,024 reviews 2,024 reviews
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2006

We arrived on a rainy afternoon and found the staff most accomodating at the front desk. Our room was on the fifth floor. It was good but not great. This does not appear to be a very new hotel. There are three elevators so getting to a higher floor was never a problem. For some reason Fairfield no longer provides quilts or blankets. There is a small "throw" across the bottom of the bed, however it is only 12 inches wide and is solely for deceration.The breakfast area is very good and breakfast was your typical Fairfield Inn type. Parking was just outside the front door. We found this hotel to be okay---just rememebr it has bene around for a while.

• Liked — Good downtown location and reasonable price
  • Disliked — No blankets or quilts on bed
  • Tips/Secrets — For activities downtown Charleston this is a very good location
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
SwVa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2006

The hotel itself is average but functional.
What makes the hotel stand out is the caring, attentive staff. I checked in late one evening, mentioned that I was hungry, and the clerk offered to find some cereal for me.

The room was clean, and the bathroom was very spacious.

The hotel is located near downtown and is also close to the airport (less than a 10-minute drive). There is no airport shuttle, but parking at Yeager airport is only $8.00 for long-term.

Been to Charleston Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!