“Average trending towards Poor” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Charleston Plaza Hotel

You added Charleston Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
Charleston Plaza Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1000 Washington Street East, Charleston, WV 25301 (Formerly Fairfield Inn Charleston)   |
Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in Charleston
Atlanta, Georgia
“Average trending towards Poor”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

This hotel is definitely worn around the edges, and I would suggest being very aware of your surroundings. It has a great location if you have business at the hospital or the Arts Center. You do not have much choice of restaurants within walking distance and if you are not in a group you probably would not want to walk at night anyway.
The hotel, while worn, is clean and the service at the desk is good. The breakfast area is tiny for a hotel this size. The fitness room is fairly large, but the equipment is older.
My room, on the 7th floor, overlooked the postal facility. This is a main facility and is noisy with trucks and mail carts. It is especially noisy in the early morning (4-5 am). I am an early riser so it did not bother me, but if you want to sleep in get a room on the other side of the hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

This place has to be a old Marriott hotel that finally wore out and instead of tearing it down, Marriott converted it into a Fairfield Inn. Big mistake. The property is old and worn, the rooms and baths are really small, the décor is dated, and the hallways stink. Can't believe that Marriott would try to pass this place off as a Fairfield as I normally will go out of my way to stay at a Marriott branded motel.
In addition, looking at the neighborhood where this place is located, I would not dare to go outside after dark as it is located in downtown Charleston which is very old and deteriorating with many vacant building and small groups of people standing around on the street corners and alleys.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
West Lafayette, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Charleston WV was a convenient in between spot to meet with some of our family. This hotel was affordable and located in the heart of the city. The facilities are showing a little wear and tear although the hotel was near and tidy. Caring and helpful staff that was always ready to help.

Stayed November 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

This hotel is located in an area of the city that does not appear safe due to several "mission properties" nearby and lots of loiterers. I worried about my car and when I walked to the Soho restaurant my person. The hallways are dark and cold and the general décor is shabby. The rate is high given the poor elevators, poor hallways etc. I will say the room was large and the heat worked. The bath featured a toilet that looked like a prison fixture. I am a Marriott loyalist and I am surprised they would let a property like this carry the name.

Room Tip: None are available.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Joshua G, Director of Sales at Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
James C, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your honest feedback. I apologize that you did not feel safe during your walk to SOHOs but can assure you we have never had any security issues at this location. I am glad you enjoyed the size of your room. If you would like to discuss your stay further, I would be happy to talk to you so we can remedy the situation. We do appreciate your loyalty to the Marriott brand and hope that would you give us a chance to serve you again.

JoshuaG@swhm.com
304.343.4661
Silver Spring, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Fairfield Inn Charleston is centrally located near many restaurants and the Town Center Mall. My room was comfortable and clean though a bit small. There was a very good king size bed. Breakfast was of reasonable quality and had a good variety. One mishap, the room had no bath towels, a bit of a surprise when I took a shower assuming that they would be there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
areview28, thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and that you enjoyed the king size bed. I do apologize that you did not receive bath towels in your room. I have taken this up with our housekeeping manager so she can remedy the situation so that it doesn't happen again. We hope that you will stay with us again on your next visit to Charleston, WV.
ann arbor
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

I was not impressed with this hotel. The bathroom sink was pulling away from the counter and black flacks (mold?) was in the sink. The hallways were freezing cold even though it was in the 30s and 40 outside. Don't even get me started on the elevators! Small, creeky and rather swayed from side to side. I used the stairs. The staff was friendly and the lobby ok. Breakfast was also fine. Next time I will use something other than this establishment.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
sunfanAnnArbor, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am very sorry that your stay was not an enjoyable one. I would like to further discuss this with you so I can have the opportunity to remedy the problem. I look forward to hearing from you and hope that you will give us another chance to serve you again in the future.

304.343.4661
JoshuaG@swhm.com
Baldwin, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We were on a road trip and had been driving for more than six hours and needed a place to stay. Charleston seemed like a good stopping point. We did not have reservations so we did not have many choices. The Fairfield offered a good rate and although the reviews were not very good we decided to try it for the one night. The place looked clean but there was a strange smell in the halls and the lobby. Our room was clean and adequate. The staff was excellent and very helpful with dinner recommendations. Breakfast was surprisingly good.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Joshua G, Director of Sales at Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
SherandPat, thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your comments and are glad you enjoyed your stay. We always strive to offer the friendliest customer service and appreciate your remarks regarding the staff. We are so glad you enjoyed the breakfast, as well. We look forward to serving you during your next visit to Charleston, WV,

Been to Charleston Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!