“Not Your Best Choice in Charleston” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Charleston Plaza Hotel

You added Charleston Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
Charleston Plaza Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1000 Washington Street East, Charleston, WV 25301 (Formerly Fairfield Inn Charleston)   |
Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in Charleston
Atlanta
“Not Your Best Choice in Charleston”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

This is a sub-par Fairfield Inn on a pure facility basis. The location is sketchy and the rooms are worn and tired. The wallpaper was lumpy and peeling, the bed linens were thin, and the towels were dingy. The elevators were small and creaky, and one was out of service when I was there. The breakfast was standard inexpensive hotel fare. In fairness, a great restaurant/market area is very close, with a good Italian place, a farmers' market, wine shop, and seafood and meat markets.

The staff and management are generally friendly and helpful. When I told the front desk at checkout about a minor issue, the manager overheard and offered me points for my trouble.

Room Tip: Ask for a city view room away from the elevator and icemaker. I did, but got a parking lot/freeway...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Joshua G, Director of Sales at Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Frweaver, thank you for taking the time to review our property. I apologize that your stay was not up to standard. If you are back in Charleston and need accommodations, please contact me directly and I will assure you a better stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Detroit, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

My mother stays at this hotel when she gets her chemotherapy treatments at the nearby hospital. The staff there welcomes her with get well cards and treat her like royalty when she is staying there. I have never experienced better customer service in my 39 years on this earth. There is nearby shopping, theaters, and good places to eat. The rooms are very clean and comfortable. The breakfast there is very good and the servers are very helpful. By far the best hotel that I've been to ever!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Joshua G, Director of Sales at Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Brandy, thanks so much for the great review. We strive to treat every guest that walks through our doors with the best customer service. I will be sure to share your comments with our entire staff. We wish your mother the best and hope she has a speedy recovery.
Charleston, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

The Fairfield Inn in Charleston WV was a great stay by far! The staff treated me with respect and catered my every request promptly. Location of the hotel in relation to my work was ridiculously close and accomodating. I'd definately stay here again in the futrue.

Room Tip: 8th Floor!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Joshua G, Director of Sales at Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Gary R, thanks so much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to give us the great review. We are glad you enjoyed the convenient location and that our staff was able to meet your every request. We look forward to serving you again during your next visit to Charleston.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We called from the road in Ohio, on our way to Charleston to find a place to stay for one night.
Bobby answered the phone and was very helpful/polite/professional. She gave us information on the best discount rate (Federal /AAA/AARP) and clear directions to the hotel. Once there, she pleasantly checked us in. I happened to mention that though we were with children, it was my wife/my anniversary.

When we got our extra bedding sent to the room, low and behold there was a “Happy Anniversary” card from Bobby and Sherry. THAT CARD MADE OUR WEEK! It is nice to know that thoughtful people and staff still exist. We found it in WV in Charleston at the Fairfield Inn. Dave and Jori and kids.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dave N, thank you so much for the great review. We always strive to provide the best customer service to every guest that walks through our doors. We are glad your family chose to stay with us during your anniversary trip. We hope you can return to Charleston in the future and we look forward to serving you again.
Columbus , Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

This hotel is very clean. I booked 3 rooms to accomodate my family. All of the rooms were very nice. The rooms with double beds had excellent beds. The king room was a different story. The bed was the worst I've ever had at any hotel, anywhere, period. Words can't begin to describe how bad the king mattress was. I alerted the front desk staff person the next morning, but she didn't seem too concerned about my lack of sleep due to a lousy bed. Even though the bed was terrible, i still give the hotel a "very good" because the other beds were really good, the hotel is very clean, the breakfast was very good for a hotel in this price range, and the pool and hot tub were great. I would stay here again, but would check out the mattress as soon as I entered the room, and be ready to ask for a different room if needed.

Room Tip: The king bed we had was worse than a hammock. Stay in a room with 2 beds.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Joshua G, Director of Sales at Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Buckeyetraveler75, thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. I apologize that your king size bed was not comfortable and that the front desk clerk did not offer to move you to another room. I hope the next time you are in Charleston, you will give us a chance to serve you again. Please call me directly the next time you need hotel accommodations in Charleston and I will assure you a better nights sleep. Again, thanks for the good review!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

After reviewing hotels in this area I thought about just staying in my car. But this hotel was nothing like the reviews. Yes it's a strange location and the elevators are small. But it's a small hotel in Charleston WV so it's not gonna be The Ritz. But it was very clean, the staff was very nice, and the breakfast was good. We were in town for a wedding and needed our rooms early and they let us have two rooms right away. Everyone that worked there was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2013
Joshua G, Director of Sales at Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Allier53, thank you so much for your response. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to get you checked in early, as you requested. it is always nice to hear how friendly and accommodating our staff is here at the Fairfield Inn. We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you again in the future.
Fort Wayne, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

This hotel was not well kept. The first room they gave us was next to the trash dumpster. The room smelled of rubbish. We asked them to move us to another room and they did to another area that smelled like cigarette smoke. I thought the Marriott hotels were all smoke free facilities. This one obviously did not get the memo. Did not sleep all night!!! The noises from the elevator (I think) kept me up!! The hot tub was very dirty.

There was no ink for the printer and when we asked they said they have ordered it and it would arrive in a day or so. WHAT? Say it with me STAPLES! I would never stay there again.

The staff was very polite and friendly. The breakfast was nice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Charleston Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!