“Clean, nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Charleston Plaza Hotel

Save Saved
You added Charleston Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
Charleston Plaza Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1000 Washington Street East, Charleston, WV 25301 (Formerly Fairfield Inn Charleston)   |
Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
Columbus , Ohio
“Clean, nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

This hotel is very clean. I booked 3 rooms to accomodate my family. All of the rooms were very nice. The rooms with double beds had excellent beds. The king room was a different story. The bed was the worst I've ever had at any hotel, anywhere, period. Words can't begin to describe how bad the king mattress was. I alerted the front desk staff person the next morning, but she didn't seem too concerned about my lack of sleep due to a lousy bed. Even though the bed was terrible, i still give the hotel a "very good" because the other beds were really good, the hotel is very clean, the breakfast was very good for a hotel in this price range, and the pool and hot tub were great. I would stay here again, but would check out the mattress as soon as I entered the room, and be ready to ask for a different room if needed.

Room Tip: The king bed we had was worse than a hammock. Stay in a room with 2 beds.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Joshua G, Director of Sales at Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Buckeyetraveler75, thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. I apologize that your king size bed was not comfortable and that the front desk clerk did not offer to move you to another room. I hope the next time you are in Charleston, you will give us a chance to serve you again. Please call me directly the next time you need hotel accommodations in Charleston and I will assure you a better nights sleep. Again, thanks for the good review!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

After reviewing hotels in this area I thought about just staying in my car. But this hotel was nothing like the reviews. Yes it's a strange location and the elevators are small. But it's a small hotel in Charleston WV so it's not gonna be The Ritz. But it was very clean, the staff was very nice, and the breakfast was good. We were in town for a wedding and needed our rooms early and they let us have two rooms right away. Everyone that worked there was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2013
Joshua G, Director of Sales at Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Allier53, thank you so much for your response. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to get you checked in early, as you requested. it is always nice to hear how friendly and accommodating our staff is here at the Fairfield Inn. We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you again in the future.
Fort Wayne, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

This hotel was not well kept. The first room they gave us was next to the trash dumpster. The room smelled of rubbish. We asked them to move us to another room and they did to another area that smelled like cigarette smoke. I thought the Marriott hotels were all smoke free facilities. This one obviously did not get the memo. Did not sleep all night!!! The noises from the elevator (I think) kept me up!! The hot tub was very dirty.

There was no ink for the printer and when we asked they said they have ordered it and it would arrive in a day or so. WHAT? Say it with me STAPLES! I would never stay there again.

The staff was very polite and friendly. The breakfast was nice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
SAINT PETERSBURG
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Agree with other reviewers, property is older, tired looking. But room was clean (except for the coffee pot), quiet and the bed was comfortable. The outlets on the desk lamp didn't work at all so not near enough readily accessible plug-ins for all the electronics. There were lots of TV stations to choose from. Staff were polite and helpful, especially at breakfast. Location was convenient to downtown, easy walk to several good restaurants. If you overlook the age of the furniture and finishes, it's not a bad place to get a good nights sleep. The price was very reasonable, especially compared to other hotels in the area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Annapolis, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Geez, this place was such a disappointment in so many ways. Thank you to the reviewer who posted about the sickening air freshener stench that greets you when you enter the hotel. At least we were prepared for it. Two of the three elevators were working. As other reviewers have pointed out, the hallways are dark and dingy. Our room was on the second floor, overlooking the lobby/entrance roof, and further out to the post office parking lot. Good thing it wasn't an awesome view, because our window was covered in a thick film of dirt and I don't know what that prevented us from seeing out of it.

The beds, pillows, and shower were decent, but there were so many beat up, old, moldy things in the room that it was hard to appreciate the few things that were decent. The nightstand between the beds was broken, the drawer did not even fit into the cabinet properly and sat crooked. The towels were thin, rough and threadbare. My husband called them exfoliating towels. I guess it would've been funny if we hadn't of been miserable.

The final straw was on our first morning, housekeeping came to clean our room before 9am. We weren't ready to leave yet so we told her we would be out of the room shortly. Well, when we got back that evening, it turned out she never returned to service the room. We had no more towels, so we had to go to the front desk and request them the next morning.

On a positive note, the front desk staff were very courteous and helpful.

All in all, it was a ridiculous stay at this hotel. I've stayed at other poor Fairfield properties, but this one takes the cake. If Marriott can't enforce their standard on this chain, then they need to dump the brand. All it's doing is bringing down their reputation. As a loyal Marriott customer, it ticks me off to have this kind of experience in light of Marriott's promise of a standard experience across all properties. If you can't deliver it, don't promise it.

We checked out early, and we won't be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We did a 1 night stop here and are loyal to the Marriott brand. The location of the hotel to the downtown area was a plus. The morning breakfast was nicely done with waffles, eggs, bacon along with fruit, bagels, muffins, yogurt and juice. However, the room is in need of updating and the carpet could have sure used a cleaning judging by how dirty the bottom of my socks were! We found the staff to be very pleasant. Would we stay here again? I doubt we will be passing through this area, but I would need to know whether the rooms have been refurbished.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Narberth
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Don't expect much. The breakfast is fine. The gym and pool are minimal. The elevator didn't work for two days. The halls were dim and the room needed a dehumidifier. We stayed at this hotel because nothing else was available, but since it was a Marriott property, it was disappointing.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Charleston Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!