“Comfortable, clean hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Charleston Plaza Hotel

Travelocity Booking.com
Charleston Plaza Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1000 Washington Street East, Charleston, WV 25301 (Formerly Fairfield Inn Charleston)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #15 of 23 hotels in Charleston
Central Wisconsin
“Comfortable, clean hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

Stayed 2 nights (Saturday, Sunday) in a 3rd floor room facing north (away from the street). Request this side, it is quieter than the street side. Parking is ample and free. The room (and whole hotel) were very clean and pleasant. Furnishings are minimalist, but this is a lower-priced chain. There are no refrigerators or microwaves in the rooms, just a coffee maker. I have to say a special word for the king bed: it was especially comfortable with linens on the plush side. The whole hotel is non-smoking, which we appreciated. We found the hotel exceptionally quiet, though there was more traffic noise Monday morning when we checked out. The room was modern and well maintained; everything worked well. You'd never know this was originally the old Heart 'O Town hotel dating back many years. Location is excellent, in walking distance of the entire downtown and diagonally across the street from the Clay Performing Arts Center. The complimentary breakfast was not fancy but ample with lots of choices. I thought this provided good value for the price and would return there. No negatives.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the hotel parking lot on the north side, not the street side. Higher rooms will ha...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

130 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012 via mobile

We have stayed in Fairfields before and they are our favorite Marriott hotel. Comfortable, attractive decor, friendly staff, nice location across from a park and the art and science center.

• Stayed May 2012
Cincinnati
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

The Fairfield Inn is centrally located in downtown and within walking distance of many restaurants. While I would like to give this hotel a better rating (I'm a Marriott Gold Member), it is really lacking. The interior is extremely outdated and dark. The rooms are not much better. I think the only things have been updated are the flat-screen TVs and wireless internet.
Marriott would also be wise to invest in better windows to provide a quieter night's sleep.
We did not have a problem with the parking lot while there. The rooms were clean.
Unless this hotel goes through a serious renovation, we won't be staying there again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Any Beach
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here for one Sunday night.We had a flight out super early the next morning...6AM, so we just needed a room to lay our heads. We got there around 8:30pm..quick easy check-in with very friendly front desk clerk. Room was just fine and looked clean. After getting settled and ready for bed, I realized the coffee maker did not have the basket that you put the coffee filter into. It was missing. I really need my "in-the room" coffee first thing, but...I was all ready for bed and didn't feel like calling down to the front desk. So...I toughed it out. (I survived)
Thats the only complaint I have of the room itself. But...our room faced a large post office parking lot. I guess thats where all the traffic noise came from, because it sure was loud! All night! We were headed to New York City the next morning...and I have to say...our room in Times Square was super quiet compared to this! Not knocking the hotel,...but ask for a room away from the Post Office! The hotel is right off the Interstate, ...literally at the end of the exit ramp. And easy to get back on as well, just down the block and around the corner. Ten minutes up to the Airport. (well...with no traffic at 4:45AM anyway) We felt safe walking to and from the parking lot..which was pretty crowded. We did not partake of the complimentary breakfast...as we checked out so early...and it didn't start until 6AM.

Room Tip: Ask for room NOT facing the Post Office.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

Easy access off interstate; convenient and within a short walk to restaurants and very nice downtown shopping mall. Friendly staff; complimentary breakfast. No eggs or bacon/sausage, but had hard-boiled eggs and make-you-own waffles which were delicious; yogurt, cereal & juice, muffins. Staff friendly and professional.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Youngstown, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

Let me begin this review with the following background information on me. I travel for work in a territory of mostly western Pennsylvania, western New York and West Virginia. My expectations are not that of the Palomar-Hotel in Philadelphia, or even that of a Double Tree on Route 90 in New York. No, mine were the following: convenient location, decent morning food, nice beds and a clean shower. Flat screen tv, free internet- nice additions.
So the good- there was a flat screen, free internet and clean showers.
The not bad, not great- no ATM in the lobby, morning food was decent and had quite a few varieties (I am also incredibly picky and try to eat healthier foods), carpets were clean, and location was awful.
That bad is one of those stories one gets to repeat at family holiday dinners, or at bars with good buddies- it is that unbelievable.
While in my room, watching tv, typing and laying in bed I felt something dig into my leg. I jumped up to discover who or what the culprit was... A CUT TOENAIL. Yes, human cut nails in my bed, UNDER the sheets of a made bed.
And upon noticing the one large, obviously the "big" toenail, I saw the matching sets on the bed.
I highly doubt this is a common occurrence at this establishment, but please use this as a lesson, just swipe your hand across the sheets before getting into bed. A bed made is not always a clean bed.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Covington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

This hotel is in downtown Charleston, perfect if you are going to the Clay Center, Town Center Mall, or hospital (all within walking distance). But you have to understand downtown Charleston. Not a lot of room and older, tall buildings so it is not going to be like staying in new construction. I personally think Fairfield Inn did a great job with what they had to work with. Parking lot is big and convenient but with that being said, for the person who complained their car was keyed-- there are HUGE signs all over the parking lot that say beware of parking here, park at own risk, the hotel is not responsible for accidents. It is an area with people walking through it, things like that happen at Wal-Mart and places all the time. Our car was not bothered at all while we were there. Upon entering the hotel it smells and appears clean and inviting. Staff is friendly and check in was fast. The elevators are small but there are 3. Our room was on 6th floor and roomy and updated (flat screen tv, new air conditioner/heating unit, bedding, carpet, etc.) We had a restful nights sleep after stopping here exhausted. The only reason for not giving it an excellent is that the wallpaper was peeling and even though the room was clean on the surface (such as bedding and bathroom countertop), it needed a good deep cleaning if you know what I mean (dusting of fixtures, window cleaned, chair shampooed). I would definitely stay here again or recommend to anyone. I cannot rate the food as we did not eat breakfast but it was included in the price of the room.

Room Tip: 6th floor was nice
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Been to Charleston Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!