“funky little dive” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #20 of 253 restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Outdoor seating
Description: An Urban Beach Bar & Grill serving natural and locally grown beach food, cold beer, and frozen drinks!Come join us on the deck! We also feature Buzztime trivia and sports hdtv!
Woodbine, Maryland
“funky little dive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

the Mahi and shrimp tacos were very fresh and cooked perfectly. You can choose from a variety of spice rubs. Though I picked off some of the bag shredded lettuce because I felt like it overpowered the tacos. My BF got the fried bologna sandwich and a W VA dog. The sandwich was huge and bursting with flavor. The dog consists of chili and coleslaw. That was some of the best homemade slaw that we have ever tried! They also had a decent selection of beer. If it's nice weather sit out on the patio. It has a good vibe

Visited May 2013

69% Recommend
Columbus, OH
“Just what the doctor ordered”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Family member ended up in CAMC - we had a bunch of family in Charleston from all over the place... one family member, Bridget, is a dog... several don't eat meat...

We needed a place with outside seating (for Bridget) and a menu for all.

Tricky Fish blew us all away. We were lucky enough to get a couple of tables together on the porch and the feast was on. I highly recommend the shrimp tacos, crab cakes and hush puppies. The deep fried hot dog was very tempting. What can I say - everyone was very happy, even Bridget.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dallas, Texas
“Excellent Fish and Shrimp Tacos”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I had a fried catfish taco and a grilled shrimp taco. Both were excellent and reasonably priced at about $6.00 each. It is conveniently located within walking distance of the State Capitol.

Visited April 2013
“Love it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

The Tricky Fish greets guests with a message of peace and equality as you walk up the ramp to the door. Unique and colorful artwork adorn the walls. When we visited, children's drawings of "tricky fish" were like wall paper in places. There are good vegetarian options available. Rainbow curtains and English/Spanish restroom signs [Women/Damas, Men/Caballeros] lends further to the feeling that all are welcome and will be treated fairly. The music was a mix of just about everything. The atmosphere here is friendly, peace loving, creative, and very relaxed. I love places like this!

It is definitely NOT a fancy restaurant. I'd guess "come as you are" would just about be right. I felt right at home in jeans and a t-shirt.

The food was awesome! They have a good variety. All in our party were pleased with the options including an older adult, two thirt-something's, and two kids. Fish, chicken, seafood, and tofu dishes available.

Good drinks available as well including natural sodas and teas along with microbrews.

You order at the counter and food is delivered to the table when it's ready. Food arrived promptly and fresh (hot was hot, cool was cool).

There is indoor and outdoor patio seating available.

For all ages, a great place to eat.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Union, West Virginia
“This place has gone downhill”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

I LOVE*d* the Tricky Fish. It has been my goto Sunday spot for years. Recently it has changed ownership and I will prob never even be able to give it another chance. The bathroom was disgusting the tables were not wiped down well *if at all*....and the food was unacceptable. Maybe I am spoiled from the way it use to be run but if someone is attempting to buy a business and run it the same as the previous owners I fell like it should stay up to the old expectations.

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Jon S, Owner at Tricky Fish, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
We (the same owners as always) are sorry that you had a bad experience and would like to know specifically what date & time you were in. If it was this past week or weekend our only excuse is being surprised & overrun by a sudden quadrupling of our business.

We are in the process of hiring more staff (very hard to find good help) and have already doubled our staffing since the last weekend hit us ever so crushingly.

Hope you give us another try.

Jon